Thread: Trash size -'file too large to trash' message is what I see for a 4GB file(casper-rw on a USB stick)

U.S Midwest just West of the Mississippi River

Default Trash size -'file too large to trash' message is what I see for a 4GB file(casper-rw on a USB stick)

Why can't I trash a 4GB file?
    Properties tell me my Trash directory is 12MiB(12288).
    How do I increase the size if the Trash directory, and subsequently the two directories in it(Files and Info)?
    HP Compaq desktop Leap15.1 Win10, Win7
    Toshiba laptops Leap15.1 & Win10, HP AiO Win10.
    I can now print with openSuSe Leap! Can Scan now, could be better!!
    I can backup my iPod and iPad with Windows, can't with Linux.(Will get there someday!)

Blog Entries

Default Re: Trash size -'file too large to trash' message is what I see for a 4GB file(casper-rw on a USB st

This might be a limitation of the USB stick rather than a problem with the trash directory.
    openSUSE Leap 15.1; KDE Plasma 5;
    testing Leap 15.2Alpha

Default Re: Trash size -'file too large to trash' message is what I see for a 4GB file(casper-rw on a USB st

Quote Originally Posted by nrickert View Post
    This might be a limitation of the USB stick rather than a problem with the trash directory.
    I am trying to delete the casper-rw file off of a USB stick while in Leap 15. I get the error message when trying to delete that 4GB casper file off of the USB stick.
    I was assuming the 'Trash limitation' message is/was with Leap 15, and never thought it might be a problem deleting from the USB stick to the Leap 15 Trash.

I opened Dolphin, selected the USB drive from the list, went to the directory where casper-rw resides, and tried to delete it.
    The message I get in Leap 15 is a big red bar in Dolphin telling me the 'file is too large to be deleted'.

{since the USB stick is fat32, maybe I can delete the file from within Windows - probably not know MS}

(still not good at fully explaining things, sorry, my bad)
    I can backup my iPod and iPad with Windows, can't with Linux.(Will get there someday!)

Blog Entries

If you just want to delete the file, you can probably do that at the command line with the "rm" command.

Moving to Trash attempts to keep a copy so that you can recover. And it might want the trash copy to also be on the USB stick.
    openSUSE Leap 15.1; KDE Plasma 5;
    testing Leap 15.2Alpha

In default KDE, the shift key changes “Move to Wastebin” to “Delete”. Also there is a method to add “Delete” to the right-click menu, but I cannot remember where the option is.

In Dolphin Control/Settings > Configure Dolphin, there are settings for Wastebin size and behaviour.
    ~Thank you for sharing an interesting problem.
    --
    slàinte mhath,
    rayH

OK, thanks to both. More lessons learned.
    But I messed up the USB stick(imagine that), and it won’t boot now, so start all over.

What I was trying to do was eliminate the casper file that was created as ‘persistence’ file area for a live version of Mint, and ‘reclaim the rest of the 16GB stick as a ‘casper-rw’ storage.

I know there are ways to do that, but apparently I have a ways to go to get the job done.

I don’t want Mint on a HDD, but am interested in it. Leap 15 is set up as I want it(for now), so it will remain my main Linux OS. Windows is rarely started of late.

Am looking at making the live small Mint stick, then Installing it on a 32GB USB. May have to go get a 64GB stick, don’t know?

Again in thanks for the advice and instructions.

tl-dr
    I'm assuming you're using plasma 5
    in plasma 5 all of your trash content is in your home folder and it's limited to 10% of your home partition (folder)
    I deleted a large file from my windows partition it ended up being moved to my home :/
    anyway you can set the size of your trash in Dolphin prefferences

I haven't used a live linux in some time and I'm not sure how mint does what it does but afaik both plasma 5 and lxqt use
    Code:
    ~/.local/share/Trash
    for trash
    Last edited by I_A; 11-Jun-2018 at 17:34.

Quote Originally Posted by BillLyte View Post
    Am looking at making the live small Mint stick, then Installing it on a 32GB USB. May have to go get a 64GB stick, don’t know?
    You never mentioned that it was a live install USB before.

I do not know about Mint, but it is probably similar to an openSUSE Live KDE system. This has a small EFI partition and an approximately 1GB root partition containing the boot directory and a read-only squashfs file that contains the basic root file system. The rest of the space is used for a read-write filesystem that contains overlays for the read-only files. This means that any files that exist in the read-write partition will effectively take the place of their read-only equivalents. This means that for experimentation, if things get messed up it simple to delete the read-write files and reboot to a working starter system.

It may be that your 4GB casper file is part of Mint-Live's read-only file system.
    ~Thank you for sharing an interesting problem.
    --
    slàinte mhath,
    rayH