LibreOffice disappear images

My daughter is doing the essay for the school exam with LibreOffice, and the images disappear, she has already done the job many times and is destroyed continuously, she used a little all the LibreOffice rescue systems available, on pendrive and on HD … without result.
They disappear randomly between one save and another .
I tried on two different computers and the same thing happens the version is LibreOffice 6.0.4.2
The thing that makes me more angry is that says that her friends use Microsoft Office PowerPoint and have no problems.
Yesterday for the umpteenth time I stayed up to 2.30 at night to help her, and today instead of partying we will continue to trebulate

What sort of images, where are they stored, how were they generated?
Are they embedded in the document, or are they linked to? If you open the essay.odt with Ark, can you see the image files?
What happens if you export the essay.odt as essay.pdf?

The images are .png .jpeg .jpg that are in the Computer, they are images downloaded from the internet and some of my images are made with the mobile phone, the images are copied / pasted and then adapted to the various slides.
It seems that when he saves he forgets the images, today we will try to save with name each new slide completed … there are more than thirty, let’s see if we can proceed like this, it is something that makes the arms fall

I’ve done some tests on Leap 15 and on Tw, and I cannot reproduce the issue. Yet, if I do not embed the images, then move the odt online without the images, things go wrong. If I embed them, instead of saving them in some folder, the odt becomes bigger, but I can open it where ever I want. If I save the odt in the same folder as the images and copy the entire folder to f.e. my nextcloud instance, all works as expected.
Are we talking about the stock LO that comes with the distro?
Do you save the images in the same folder the odt is in?
Any personal changes to the LO config?

FWIW, I do understand your annoyance and the stress this brings to your daughter.

Thank you very much for your reply, I accept any advice, because even because next week has the exams and must show the presentation.
Now it is proceeding by saving with name for each slide that does, and must check what has saved because they disappear a quà, a la, random
Now I tried on my Computer to download LibreOffice 6.1.0.0 if it does not go with its I’ll try this Beta1; I hope I do not have to start PowerPoint in a virtual machine

Be absolutely sure the images are embedded and not just linked. It makes a big difference. Note that LO stores by default in ODT which is a type zipped XML which is human readable so open in arc and inspect the document source XML files.

The images are incorporated correctly.
The problem is when you add a slide and save, in practice it happens that saves not always correctly, now it is working with save as and has reached 55 saved presentations, so if the last does not save correctly takes the correct slides from previous .
This is what happens when it does not save correctly
https://s22.postimg.cc/4fnsi41zx/Schermata_del_2018-06-10_18-29-27.png](https://postimg.cc/image/4fnsi41zx/)

The frame of the image is still there

On Sun, 10 Jun 2018 16:36:03 +0000, enziosavio wrote:

> The images are incorporated correctly.
> The problem is when you add a slide and save, in practice it happens
> that saves not always correctly, now it is working with save as and has
> reached 55 saved presentations, so if the last does not save correctly
> takes the correct slides from previous .
> This is what happens when it does not save correctly ‘[image:
> https://s22.postimg.cc/4fnsi41zx/Schermata_del_2018-06-10_18-29-27.png]’
> (https://postimg.cc/image/4fnsi41zx/)
>
> The frame of the image is still there

I just ran across an issue that may provide a clue to your problem. The
wife was saving her files to a thumb drive and had me proof them on my
laptop. After I went thru them, I saved the correct versions back to the
thumb drive under a different .odt filename but she could not see those
files when she put the USB stick back in her machine???

To make a long story short, she could see the files and open them in
LibreOffice from a dolphin session but could NOT see them from a file
selection dialog opened from inside LibreOffice. I haven’t had time to
play with this odd behavior yet, but it looks like there is something
funny going on with either paths or permissions between the two
machines. Just for grins, next time a graphic is missing try looking for
it with the file manager routine from within LibreOffice. You may have
the same issue I’m seeing.

I did a few tests I culdn’t reproduce but this might not be the best place for your problem I’d suggest you try
https://bugs.documentfoundation.org
I know disappearing files from your work is frustrating but …

I would gladly do it, but I have to use the translator for everything, and I’m sure I would only mess with it

I have made a test presentation (Tumbleweed, libreoffice-impress-6.0.4.2-1.4) with 60 slides containing inserted text and pictures (jpeg, png and svg). Insertion was both via Insert > image menu and drag and drop from Dolphin.
A colleague using an Italian language Libre Office (Leap-15.0 libreoffice-impress-6.0.4.2-lp150.1.3) has added 5 slide and modified 2 slides before sending test.odp back to me this morning. Yesterday I experimented with both OPD and PPTX (only with LO) formats. I am unable to replicate the “missing image” syndrome.

Are you sure that the “Link” option is not selected? Do both you and your daughter have write access to the OPD file and its folder/directory?

P.S. Please use susepaste.org for screenshots etc, as per https://forums.opensuse.org/content.php/41-paste-opensuse-org Not everyone can or will download from untrusted filesharing sites.

If the link option is selected, they should all disappear, or I’m wrong
Since you talked about this link option, where do I find it?

It’s in the bottom left of the dialogue “Insert - Image”. IIRC it remembers when you check it once. IMHO a lousy option, since you have to make sure the images are on the exact same path on another machine. Make sure it’s unchecked and the image will be embedded in the odp / ppt.

That is where it is when I use my normal Locale/Language – en_GB.
But I just logged in as a user with the locale it_IT, and lo! there are no “Link” or “Preview” check boxes. In fact the Insert dialogue pane looks quite different.

I am scunnered (at a loss).

Enzio, are you able to try another language version of LibreOffice?

Assuming LO uses relative links and not absolute ones try copying all graphics to the same directory as the document before setting linked graphics and link to the local copy. Also those graphics would need be copied to the next user in the same relative position

I do not think that linked content is very applicable to a child’s homework submission. Anyway we cannot be sure that linked content is the cause of the “missing images”. That is why I suggested using Ark to see whether the missing graphics were in the essay.odp archive or not.

The description is of the most recent edits not being saved. This also brings into question the setting and behaviour of LibreOffice’s autosave feature. Is there something like:
~/.config/libreoffice/4/user/backup/essay.odp_0.odp
and if so does it contain the lost images?

Well it is best to embed no question. But apparently there is a problem if you speak Italian :open_mouth:

I found the option link in the dialog box is not checked that even the preview option not even that checked. At the end my girlfriend managed to finish, saving with name to each added slide, she has saved 61, unfortunately it was impossible work on a single presentation adding the various contents

There are both boxes in the dialog box and both are unselected, thanks to the interest.
https://picoolio.net/image/IK7x

LO 6.0.4.2, Plasma, LEAP 42.3

Sorry, didn’t see the previous comment about linking.