Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst ... 3456 LastLast

Thread: Multiboot openSUSE Leap 15: grub2-mkconfig does not detect other installed OS

Default Re: Multiboot openSUSE Leap 15: grub2-mkconfig does not detect other installed OS

Correct me if I understood something wrong.

Enabling multipath seems to automatically disable the usage of the "normal" device names "/devsda1" etc. When trying to mount /dev/sda1 you get an error message:

Code:
    mount /dev/sda1 /mnt
    mount: /mnt: /dev/sda1 ist bereits eingehängt oder wird gerade benutzt.
    Translation: "mount: /mnt: /dev/sda1 is already mounted or in use"
    So If you want to mount a partition when multipath is enabled you HAVE to use the "/dev/mapper/*" devices, but os-prober doesn't do that and that's the whole problem.

Default Re: Multiboot openSUSE Leap 15: grub2-mkconfig does not detect other installed OS

Quote Originally Posted by robertwolter View Post
    Ok, here is my summary.
    Looks good for a bug report

Quote Originally Posted by robertwolter View Post
    So If you want to mount a partition when multipath is enabled you HAVE to use the "/dev/mapper/*" devices, but os-prober doesn't do that and that's the whole problem.
    Yes, but os-prober was never really intended for systems that actually need multipath in the first place. Such sytsems do not usually have multiple OS installed. And in this case the real bug IMNSHO is the fact that multipath gets enabled in installed system.

Anyway, further discussing it here won't lead anywhere. This now needs bug report.

And finally my personal summary rant

DON'T use btrfs on a desktop!

I really don't get the idea of openSUSE targetting to desktop users and then suggesting to install on a btrfs partition. There is no benefit at all, only problems. Install on a ext4 partition and "everything" is fine. Use btrfs only on servers together with only other btrfs partitions.

To complete my research about this bug, I finally installed Leap 15 from the 17.9 on an ext4 partition.
    The same problem here: multipath is enabled and thus no "non-leap 15" OS is detected by os-prober.

Quote Originally Posted by susejunky View Post
    Are you UEFI-booting or CSM-booting (aka Legacy- or MBR-booting)?

If you are UEFI-booting is there a chance that there is more than one EFI systempartition on your system?

Please show
    Code:
    # parted-l
    and
    Code:
    # efibootmgr -v
    Regards

susejunky

Hi, I am using UEFI-booting and I do have more than EFI system partition on my system.

Output from parted -l:

Model: ATA ST32000641AS (scsi)
    Disk /dev/sda: 2000GB
    Sector size (logical/physical): 512B/512B
    Partition Table: gpt
    Disk Flags:

Number Start End Size File system Name Flags
    1 1049kB 106MB 105MB fat32 EFI system partition bios_grub, legacy_boot
    2 106MB 240MB 134MB Microsoft reserved partition msftres
    3 240MB 366GB 366GB ntfs Basic data partition msftdata
    9 366GB 367GB 542MB fat32 boot, esp
    4 367GB 367GB 472MB ntfs hidden, diag
    5 367GB 367GB 9437kB primary bios_grub
    6 367GB 369GB 2155MB linux-swap(v1) primary msftdata
    7 369GB 412GB 43.0GB btrfs primary legacy_boot
    8 412GB 2000GB 1588GB xfs primary msftdata

Note that sda1 was the original 100Mb EFI boot partition (Windows 7 original install). OpenSUSE Leap 15 now requires at least 500Mb EFI boot partition, so I had to create that by resizing sda3 down a bit so I could create a new partition (sda9) which is the EFI system partition (regardless of what it says above). So sda1 and sda9 are both registering as EFI system partition in YAST partitioner.

Would I just delete sda1 and reboot? Would that then use sda9 as the initial boot partition?

Thanks,
    Darryl

500 meg EFI boot is recommended not required. normally 100 meg is fine, It really depends on how many OS you intend to install

Quote Originally Posted by gogalthorp View Post
    500 meg EFI boot is recommended not required. normally 100 meg is fine, It really depends on how many OS you intend to install
    I was fairly certain that I couldn't proceed without creating an EFI boot partition of less than 500Mb - it complained, but maybe I could have stepped through that. Anyway, I now have two EFI boot partitions and only the 1st seems to be recognised (as per 'parted -l'). Is there any way around this, or will I have to start from scratch and reinstall windows?

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by daz66 View Post
    Anyway, I now have two EFI boot partitions and only the 1st seems to be recognised (as per 'parted -l').
    As far as I know, it is perfectly okay to have more than one EFI partition.

That the "parted -l" output does not show it as EFI might just be a matter of the partition label.

Hmm, looking at that output (message #46), I see that your partition 1 has the bios_grub flag. That's surely wrong for an EFI partition. I would remove that flag. It also has legacy_boot which is probably also wrong, but I'm less bothered by that. Your partition 5 also has a bios_grub flag, which looks fine in case you ever need a bios_grub partition. But I would keep that flag off partition 1.
    openSUSE Leap 15.1; KDE Plasma 5;
    testing Leap 15.2Alpha

Quote Originally Posted by nrickert View Post
    As far as I know, it is perfectly okay to have more than one EFI partition.
    In the past I had issues with Windows 7 which under some conditions completely ruined its boot configuration when two ESP were present on the same disk. I think it could not decide which one to use. Actually this was the reason why openSUSE installer changed it behavior from creating new ESP to reusing existing one.

Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst ... 3456 LastLast