Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Windows 10 won't run in VM on Leap 15 (upgrade from 42.3)

Default Windows 10 won't run in VM on Leap 15 (upgrade from 42.3)

I recently upgraded this laptop from 42.3 to 15. All is mostly OK, however this PC will not run with the new kernel, so I have to use 4.12.4-1.g2a27bf2-default

Virtualbox was installed on 42.3, and has not been altered since the upgrade. There is only one Guest OS, Windows 10.

When I now try to open the existing Win 10 guest in virtualbox I get the following error:
    Kernel driver no installed (rc=-1908)

The VirtualBox Linux Kernel driver (vboxdrv) is either not loaded
    or there is a permission problem with /dev/vboxdrv. Please
    reinstall the kernel module by running

'/sbin/vboxconfig'

as root.

where: suplibOsInit what: 3VERR_VM_DRIVER_NOT_INSTALLED
    (-1908 - the support driver is not installed. ON linux, open
    returned ENOENT.
    this is the result:
    Code:
    :~ # /sbin/vboxconfig
    Building kernel modules...

Build of VirtualBox host kernel modules failed.
    Look at /var/log/virtualbox.log to find reasons.
    virtualbox.log:
    === Building 'vboxdrv' module ===
    make[1]: Entering directory '/usr/src/kernel-modules/virtualbox/src/vboxdrv'
    make V= CONFIG_MODULE_SIG= -C /lib/modules/4.12.4-1.g2a27bf2-default/build SUBDIRS=/usr/src/kernel-modules/virtualbox/src/vboxdrv SRCROOT=/usr/src/kernel-modules/virtualbox/src/vboxdrv -j4 modules
    make[2]: Entering directory '/usr/src/linux-4.12.4-1.g2a27bf2-obj/x86_64/default'
    make[3]: Entering directory '/usr/src/linux-4.12.4-1.g2a27bf2-obj/x86_64/default'
    make[3]: *** ../../../linux-4.12.4-1.g2a27bf2: No such file or directory. Stop.
    make[3]: Leaving directory '/usr/src/linux-4.12.4-1.g2a27bf2-obj/x86_64/default'
    make[2]: *** [Makefile:24: __sub-make] Error 2
    make[2]: Leaving directory '/usr/src/linux-4.12.4-1.g2a27bf2-obj/x86_64/default'
    make[1]: *** [/usr/src/kernel-modules/virtualbox/src/vboxdrv/Makefile.include.footer:101: vboxdrv] Error 2
    make[1]: Leaving directory '/usr/src/kernel-modules/virtualbox/src/vboxdrv'
    make: *** [Makefile:49: all] Error 2
    I only need to use Windows a few times a year, but unfortunately this is one of those times, so suggestions would be gratefully received.
    MS user 1988-2008, Linux user 1998-present, openSUSE user since 2004
    (The first computer I used had a punch card reader)

Blog Entries

Default Re: Windows 10 won't run in VM on Leap 15 (upgrade from 42.3)

Virtualbox from the openSUSE repos is built against the currently available kernel.
    It's not too surprising that if you switch to a substantially different kernel, the pre-built Virtualbox kernel modules won't match.

First Q
    What is preventing you from running the current LEAP 15 kernel?
    Maybe fixing that should be your preferable solution.

If you're not able to solve your kernel problem,
    Then you might remove the openSUSE version of Virtualbox and instead install Virtualbox downloaded from Oracle.
    The Virtualbox downloaded from Oracle will dynamically build the kernel modules so will work with any kernel.

TSU
    Beginner Wiki Quickstart - https://en.opensuse.org/User:Tsu2/Quickstart_Wiki
    Solved a problem recently? Create a wiki page for future personal reference!
    Learn something new?
    Attended a computing event?
    Post and Share!

Question Re: Windows 10 won't run in VM on Leap 15 (upgrade from 42.3)

Quote Originally Posted by caprus View Post
    however this PC will not run with the new kernel, so I have to use 4.12.4-1.g2a27bf2-default
    The current default Leap 15 Kernel is Version 4.12.14 -- I can't find a Version 4.12.4 Kernel anywhere in the openSUSE Leap 15 repositories , and, also, not in any of the repositories of the other openSUSE releases …

Where did you obtain the Kernel you're using?

Please be aware that, you'll need to find a version of the Oracle VirtualBox which has been built against the Kernel version you're using …

Quote Originally Posted by tsu2 View Post
    If you're not able to solve your kernel problem,
    Then you might remove the openSUSE version of Virtualbox and instead install Virtualbox downloaded from Oracle.
    The Virtualbox downloaded from Oracle will dynamically build the kernel modules so will work with any kernel.

TSU
    FYI, apparently there is no Oracle VBox for LEAP 15 yet, please see this https://lists.opensuse.org/opensuse-.../msg00016.html
    So it seems that for the time being your only option is booting the LEAP 15 "current" kernel AND the openSUSE version of VBox.
    Tumbleweed Gnome on i7 4720HQ + Geforce GTX960M
    testing Leap 15.3

Quote Originally Posted by OrsoBruno View Post
    So it seems that for the time being your only option is booting the LEAP 15 "current" kernel AND the openSUSE version of VBox.
    Both the Leap 15.0 Update repository and the Leap 15.0 "Virtualization" repository contain Oracle's VirtualBox version 5.2.12:
    <http://download.opensuse.org/update/....0/oss/x86_64/>;
    <https://download.opensuse.org/reposi...p_15.0/x86_64/>.

Blog Entries

If the version of Virtualbox is truly what you'd get by downloading from Oracle (even if from the openSUSE repos),
    Then it's likely the requisites for building the modules aren't already installed (I haven't seen the error thrown by VBox building modules in a long time, so don't remember how detailed the message is).

In general, the following are required for building any kernel modules, run it in an elevated console
    Code:
    zypper in kernel-devel kernel-default-devel make gcc
    After those are installed, you should be able to install virtualbox immediately.

I assume the default version of gcc will work fine, but since LEAP 15 is so new if you need to run an older version of gcc, I wrote an article how to set up update-alternatives to point your system to an older gcc (You'll also have to install the older gcc separately)

https://en.opensuse.org/User:Tsu2/gc...e-alternatives

TSU
    Beginner Wiki Quickstart - https://en.opensuse.org/User:Tsu2/Quickstart_Wiki
    Solved a problem recently? Create a wiki page for future personal reference!
    Learn something new?
    Attended a computing event?
    Post and Share!

Quote Originally Posted by dcurtisfra View Post
    Both the Leap 15.0 Update repository and the Leap 15.0 "Virtualization" repository contain Oracle's VirtualBox version 5.2.12:
    <http://download.opensuse.org/update/....0/oss/x86_64/>;
    <https://download.opensuse.org/reposi...p_15.0/x86_64/>.
    I'm no expert in this, but according to the mailing list message I referenced, the problem is a library (libvpx4), not the Oracle VBox version per se.
    Apparently the package maintainer for openSUSE patched the sources to allow building of kernel modules against the LEAP 15 Kernel and you are able to download those modules already built from the openSUSE repo (while you have to build them yourself when installing the package downloaded directly from virtualbox.org).
    testing Leap 15.3

Sorry to be so slow to respond. (leaky skylight + rain = higher priority)

Clearly I should have been included more data.

• This PC is an HP Envy x360 convertible PC, model # 13-y023cl, with a 3840x2160 touch screen and Intel i7. *
    • It would not boot reliably in 42.3 until I installed 4.12. Since that worked OTB I never pursued the issue further, as it's been stable, fast and does what I need it to do.
    • Later I tried upgrading 42.3 to newer kernels, but no luck. Stayed with 12.4.
    • My virtualbox was installed from the openSUSE 42.3 repo many months prior to the upgrade to 15 and has been untouched ever since other than patches etc..
    • When I upgraded to 15 (by following the SDB article) I assumed it would work OK with the newer default kernel, but I found the same issues I'd had prior to installing 4.12 earlier
    • The upgrade had left the 4.12 option in grub, so I booted to that and never looked back until now.

When I could not boot Win10 I opted not to blunder around blindly and screw things up worse, so I've done nothing (yet) until I'd checked in with this forum.

* (a dream machine for a 2 photographer couple that travels a lot, but overkill otherwise)
    MS user 1988-2008, Linux user 1998-present, openSUSE user since 2004
    (The first computer I used had a punch card reader)

So, if I understand it correctly, you are caught between a rock and a hard place:
    > your PC does not boot with the stock 4.12.14 kernel in LEAP 15;
    > your PC boots with the (old) 4.12.4 kernel BUT the current VBox kernel module from virtualbox-host-kmp-default-5.2.12_k4.12.14_lp150.11-lp150.4.3.1.x86_64.rpm does not work well (or at all) with that older kernel;
    > the old 4.12.4 kernel is long gone from the Kernel:stable repo so you cannot download the matching kernel-devel packages needed to build the VBox kernel modules for the "Oracle" version of VBox;
    > even if you already have the (old) -devel packages installed, VBox modules might not build due to a mismatch with the libvpx / libvpx4 library.

Please note that the current 4.12.14 kernel has some features backported from later versions, so it may be substantially different from the "old" 4.12.4 that your machine likes.
    If my summary really fits your situation, it might be easier to solve the boot problems with the current 4.12.14 kernel (and use the stock VBox from the openSUSE repo) than trying to tweak the "Oracle" VBox until it builds for the "old" 4.12.4.

Please consider that since the above is somewhat beyond my pay grade I might be dead wrong here.
    testing Leap 15.3

Question Re: Windows 10 won't run in VM on Leap 15 (upgrade from 42.3)

with a 3840x2160 touch screen and Intel i7
    Which video device is driving that display?

It would not boot reliably in 42.3 until I installed 4.12.
    The only Leap 42.3 Kernels of version 4.12.?? are "Community Packages" -- the Open Build Service (OBS) versions used by community members for private use -- the recommended way to use these packages is, to first ask the community person if they're of the opinion that, the package they've built can be used by you. Please note that, the "Community Packages" are ** NOT ** part of the OpenQA process …

Later I tried upgrading 42.3 to newer kernels, but no luck.
    The newest Leap 42.3 Kernel is version 4.4.132.

The upgrade had left the 4.12 option in grub,
    Meaning that, the upgrade procedure you used, left the Leap 42.3 Kernel on the machine …

When you say that, the "PC will not run with the new kernel" and "It would not boot reliably" do you mean that, the graphic display misbehaves when loading a Graphical User Interface (GUI)?

Also, you haven't mentioned which GUI you're using:
    • KDE Plasma 5 (and therefore Digikam)?
    • GNOME with whatever photography support application?
    • Something else?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast