Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 18

Thread: Firefox is and isn't installed?

  1. #1
    Join Date
    Apr 2016
    Location
    Flix, Spain
    Posts
    7

    Default Firefox is and isn't installed?

    Hi

    I did a clean installation of Leap 15 with KDE. After installation, updates were installed, the system rebooted, and now I get a message in Software Updates saying there is an update for Firefox OpenSuse-2018-512(1). When I click on install, it downloads but says Firefox 60.0-lp150.2.2.x86_64 isn't installed. Firefox 60.0.1 is installed. If I try to remove firefox with zypper, it says it isn't installed, but it is and I use it without an problems. If I try to install Firefox, it confirms it is already installed.

    I have deleted the .firefox folder, rebooted, and the system automatically installs Firefox 60.0.1.

    What is causing this and how can I rectify it?

    Many thanks

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Posts
    2,997

    Default Re: Firefox is and isn't installed?

    Quote Originally Posted by alanholt View Post
    Hi

    I did a clean installation of Leap 15 with KDE. After installation, updates were installed, the system rebooted, and now I get a message in Software Updates saying there is an update for Firefox OpenSuse-2018-512(1). When I click on install, it downloads but says Firefox 60.0-lp150.2.2.x86_64 isn't installed. Firefox 60.0.1 is installed. If I try to remove firefox with zypper, it says it isn't installed, but it is and I use it without an problems. If I try to install Firefox, it confirms it is already installed.

    I have deleted the .firefox folder, rebooted, and the system automatically installs Firefox 60.0.1.

    What is causing this and how can I rectify it?

    Many thanks
    there is no .firefox folder do you mean the .mozilla folder that holds your personal firefox profile (customization bookmarks logons etc) deleting it does not uninstall Firefox
    what's your repo list
    Code:
    zypper lr -d
    what version and from where do you have firefox installed ?
    Code:
    zypper se -si firefox

  3. #3
    Join Date
    Apr 2016
    Location
    Flix, Spain
    Posts
    7

    Default Re: Firefox is and isn't installed?

    Thanks for the fast response and sorry for not giving enough information. There was a .firefox folder in /home which I moved from another installation. After removing this, then trying to uninstall Firefox, when it reinstalled firefox after a reboot, it created a .mozilla folder in /home.

    Code:
    linux-1hmx:~ # zypper lr -d
    Repository priorities are without effect. All enabled repositories share the same priori
    ty.
    
    #  | Alias                     | Name                                    | Enabled | GPG
     Check | Refresh | Priority | Type   | URI                                              
                                    | Service
    ---+---------------------------+-----------------------------------------+---------+----
    -------+---------+----------+--------+--------------------------------------------------
    --------------------------------+--------
     1 | Google-Chrome             | Google-Chrome                           | Yes     | ( p
    ) Yes  | Yes     |   99     | rpm-md | http://dl.google.com/linux/chrome/rpm/stable/x86_
    64                              |         
     2 | openSUSE-Leap-15.0-1      | openSUSE-Leap-15.0-1                    | No      | ---
    -      | ----    |   99     | rpm-md | hd:///?device=/dev/disk/by-id/usb-SanDisk_Extreme
    _AA010416151127480130-0:0-part2 |         
     3 | packman                   | packman                                 | No      | ---
    -      | ----    |   90     | rpm-md | http://ftp.gwdg.de/pub/linux/misc/packman/suse/op
    enSUSE_Leap_15.0/               |         
     4 | repo-debug                | openSUSE-Leap-15.0-Debug                | No      | ---
    -      | ----    |   99     | NONE   | http://download.opensuse.org/debug/distribution/l
    eap/15.0/repo/oss/              |         
     5 | repo-debug-non-oss        | openSUSE-Leap-15.0-Debug-Non-Oss        | No      | ---
    -      | ----    |   99     | NONE   | http://download.opensuse.org/debug/distribution/l
    eap/15.0/repo/non-oss/          |         
     6 | repo-debug-update         | openSUSE-Leap-15.0-Update-Debug         | No      | ---
    -      | ----    |   99     | NONE   | http://download.opensuse.org/debug/update/leap/15
    .0/oss/                         |         
     7 | repo-debug-update-non-oss | openSUSE-Leap-15.0-Update-Debug-Non-Oss | No      | ---
    -      | ----    |   99     | NONE   | http://download.opensuse.org/debug/update/leap/15
    .0/non-oss/                     |         
     8 | repo-non-oss              | openSUSE-Leap-15.0-Non-Oss              | Yes     | (r 
    ) Yes  | Yes     |   99     | rpm-md | http://download.opensuse.org/distribution/leap/15
    .0/repo/non-oss/                |         
     9 | repo-oss                  | openSUSE-Leap-15.0-Oss                  | Yes     | (r 
    ) Yes  | Yes     |   99     | rpm-md | http://download.opensuse.org/distribution/leap/15
    .0/repo/oss/                    |         
    10 | repo-source               | openSUSE-Leap-15.0-Source               | No      | ---
    -      | ----    |   99     | NONE   | http://download.opensuse.org/source/distribution/
    leap/15.0/repo/oss/             |         
    11 | repo-source-non-oss       | openSUSE-Leap-15.0-Source-Non-Oss       | No      | ---
    -      | ----    |   99     | NONE   | http://download.opensuse.org/source/distribution/
    leap/15.0/repo/non-oss/         |         
    12 | repo-update               | openSUSE-Leap-15.0-Update               | Yes     | (r 
    ) Yes  | Yes     |   99     | rpm-md | http://download.opensuse.org/update/leap/15.0/oss
    /                               |         
    13 | repo-update-non-oss       | openSUSE-Leap-15.0-Update-Non-Oss       | Yes     | (r 
    ) Yes  | Yes     |   99     | rpm-md | http://download.opensuse.org/update/leap/15.0/non
    -oss/                           |         
    14 | skype-stable              | skype (stable)                          | Yes     | (r 
    ) Yes  | Yes     |   99     | rpm-md | https://repo.skype.com/rpm/stable/               
                                    |        
    
    
    and

    Code:
    linux-1hmx:~ # zypper se -si firefox
    Loading repository data...
    Reading installed packages...
    
    S  | Name                               | Type        | Version            | Arch   | Repository                
    ---+------------------------------------+-------------+--------------------+--------+--------------------------
    i+ | Firefox Web Browser                | application |                    | noarch | openSUSE-Leap-15.0-Oss    
    i+ | MozillaFirefox                     | package     | 60.0.1-lp150.3.3.2 | x86_64 | openSUSE-Leap-15.0-Update
    i+ | MozillaFirefox                     | package     | 60.0-lp150.2.2     | x86_64 | openSUSE-Leap-15.0-Oss    
    i  | MozillaFirefox-branding-openSUSE   | package     | 45-lp150.2.1       | x86_64 | openSUSE-Leap-15.0-Oss    
    i  | MozillaFirefox-translations-common | package     | 60.0.1-lp150.3.3.2 | x86_64 | openSUSE-Leap-15.0-Update
    
    

  4. #4
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Location
    Netherlands
    Posts
    25,384

    Default Re: Firefox is and isn't installed?

    Quote Originally Posted by alanholt View Post
    Thanks for the fast response and sorry for not giving enough information. There was a .firefox folder in /home which I moved from another installation. After removing this, then trying to uninstall Firefox, when it reinstalled firefox after a reboot, it created a .mozilla folder in /home.
    Can you please check and recheck things before you post them? This because I am sorry to say that I frankly do not believe you.

    Well I can believe that you copied a directory with name .firefox to /home Thus /home/.firefox), for a reason you do not explain here. In any case it would have no connection with Firefox being installed or not, or it being used or not.

    But I do not believe that installing Firefox will create /home/.mozilla. For each user there will be created a .mozilla in his/her home directory when that user runs Firefox and that file does not exist. That then would be e.g. /home/alanholt/.mozilla. But that is a different place and for a different reason then you tell us.
    Henk van Velden

  5. #5
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Posts
    2,997

    Default Re: Firefox is and isn't installed?

    everything looks fine you have the current Firefox release from the update repo which for LEAP 15 currently is MozillaFirefox-60.0.1-lp150.3.3.2
    https://software.opensuse.org/package/MozillaFirefox
    I really have no idea where a .firefox folder would come from as Firefox does not create it but that's beside the point
    your issue might have been a local mirror version mismatch but as the mirror you're using probobly got updated the problem resolved itself

  6. #6
    Join Date
    Apr 2016
    Location
    Flix, Spain
    Posts
    7

    Default Re: Firefox is and isn't installed?

    Quote Originally Posted by hcvv View Post
    Can you please check and recheck things before you post them? This because I am sorry to say that I frankly do not believe you.

    Well I can believe that you copied a directory with name .firefox to /home Thus /home/.firefox), for a reason you do not explain here. In any case it would have no connection with Firefox being installed or not, or it being used or not.

    But I do not believe that installing Firefox will create /home/.mozilla. For each user there will be created a .mozilla in his/her home directory when that user runs Firefox and that file does not exist. That then would be e.g. /home/alanholt/.mozilla. But that is a different place and for a different reason then you tell us.
    Well my friend, when I open Dolphin and click on Home, would you believe there was a .firefox folder. Now there is a .mozilla folder. Perhaps I should of put /home/alanh , but i'm sure you knew what I meant.

    I installed a larger HDD in my pc, so I did a fresh installation and simply copied /home from my old HDD to the new one. The previous installation was Fedora 27.

    But either way, this new installation installed Firefox, but doesn't seem to recognise it and subsequently won't apply the update.

  7. #7
    Join Date
    Apr 2016
    Location
    Flix, Spain
    Posts
    7

    Default Re: Firefox is and isn't installed?

    Quote Originally Posted by I_A View Post
    everything looks fine you have the current Firefox release from the update repo which for LEAP 15 currently is MozillaFirefox-60.0.1-lp150.3.3.2
    https://software.opensuse.org/package/MozillaFirefox
    I really have no idea where a .firefox folder would come from as Firefox does not create it but that's beside the point
    your issue might have been a local mirror version mismatch but as the mirror you're using probobly got updated the problem resolved itself
    Well I still get a notification I have an update available for Firefox, but when trying to apply it, says Firefox isn't installed.
    If I try to update using zypper, it says everything is up to date, so that would suggest the problem is with Discover or Software Updates notification/application. Hopefully in time, it will sort itself out.

  8. #8
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Posts
    2,997

    Default Re: Firefox is and isn't installed?

    start a terminal and run
    Code:
    sudo zypper clean
    sudo zypper ref
    sudo zypper up
    if there is an update zypper up will install it if not zypper clean should purge the libzypp cache

  9. #9
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Location
    Netherlands
    Posts
    25,384

    Default Re: Firefox is and isn't installed?

    Quote Originally Posted by alanholt View Post
    Well my friend, when I open Dolphin and click on Home, would you believe there was a .firefox folder. Now there is a .mozilla folder. Perhaps I should of put /home/alanh , but i'm sure you knew what I meant.
    As we depend completely upon what you describe and not what you think you describe: No, when you say /home, we think you mean /home and not "wherever I am when I click on Home in Dolphin". The more so because the usage of Dolphin was never mentioned by you.
    Henk van Velden

  10. #10
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Location
    NSW, Australia
    Posts
    86

    Default Re: Firefox is and isn't installed?

    Quote Originally Posted by alanholt View Post
    I did a clean installation of Leap 15 with KDE. After installation, updates were installed, the system rebooted, and now I get a message in Software Updates saying there is an update for Firefox OpenSuse-2018-512(1). When I click on install, it downloads but says Firefox 60.0-lp150.2.2.x86_64 isn't installed. Firefox 60.0.1 is installed. If I try to remove firefox with zypper, it says it isn't installed, but it is and I use it without an problems. If I try to install Firefox, it confirms it is already installed.

    I have deleted the .firefox folder, rebooted, and the system automatically installs Firefox 60.0.1.
    Was the original installation of Firefox done during the "clean installation" or did you install it separately, and if so, how? If Yast "Software Management" doesn't know about the package then neither will the update process. But I'm no expert...

    David

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •