Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Firefox is and isn't installed?

Default Re: Firefox is and isn't installed?

Quote Originally Posted by alanholt View Post
    There was a .firefox folder in /home which I moved from another installation.
    Golden rule, especially for things such as Firefox … :

• Do not move configuration directories from a previous installation to a ("new") current installation.

Before dumping the previous ("old") installation, export the applications settings and copy the exported files to a safe place.
    With the current ("new") installation, import the previous ("old") configuration and, hope that the current ("new") version of the application imports the previous ("old") configuration correctly …

a new Firefox build should be out these days (it's already out at mozilla)
    https://ftp.mozilla.org/pub/firefox/releases/60.0.2/ and
    https://ftp.mozilla.org/pub/firefox/releases/60.0.2esr/
    so an update is coming
    your post was a bit confusing from what I understood the desktop's update applet was offering a firefox update while you already had that update installed you didn't say which desktop as Plasma 5 and Gnome 3 have different update applets anyhow the next Firefox update that pops up should be fine

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by dcurtisfra View Post
    Golden rule, especially for things such as Firefox … :
    I violate your rules.

When I replace my main desktop computer, I copy "/home" over.

I often delete configuration for various applications. But I have kept "$HOME/.mozilla" over at least 4 different computers and for at least 11 years. This is partly because the Mozilla folk have been pretty good at upward compatibility.
    openSUSE Leap 15.1; KDE Plasma 5;
    testing Leap 15.2Alpha

Quote Originally Posted by nrickert View Post
    I violate your rules.

When I replace my main desktop computer, I copy "/home" over.

I often delete configuration for various applications. But I have kept "$HOME/.mozilla" over at least 4 different computers and for at least 11 years. This is partly because the Mozilla folk have been pretty good at upward compatibility.
    Much the same, here.
    -Gerry Makaro
    Fraser-Bell Info Tech
    Solving Tech Mysteries since the Olden Days!
    ~~
    If I helped you, consider clicking the Star at the bottom left of my post.

Quote Originally Posted by nrickert View Post
    But I have kept "$HOME/.mozilla" over at least 4 different computers and for at least 11 years. This is partly because the Mozilla folk have been pretty good at upward compatibility.
    True, but, the thread originator has a '~/.firefox/' directory -- which is suspicious …

Yes, I agree, if the user's home directory is "Mozilla clean" meaning, there's only '~/.mozilla/firefox/' and '~/cache/mozilla/firefox/' directories then, the Mozilla folks will have a good chance of being able to migrate the user's profile(s) from older versions.

True, but, the thread originator has a '~/.firefox/' directory -- which is suspicious …

Yes, I agree, if the user's home directory is "Mozilla clean" meaning, there's only '~/.mozilla/firefox/' and '~/cache/mozilla/firefox/' directories then, the Mozilla folks will have a good chance of being able to migrate the user's profile(s) from older versions.
    as far as I understood the OP's issue was that the update applet was giving him a Firefox update notification even tho Firefox was up to date so he tried to uninstall Firefox by deleting a ~/.firefox folder afaik there should be no such folder and the update notification depends on the desktop and state of his mirrors but as we've heard nothing from the OP in days and in the meantime Firefox was updated to 60.0.2 I'm guessing all is fine
    a bit of topic but I too use to keep a copy of my Firefox profile I actually moved it around my windows and linux box's my profile is years old but as mozilla dropped old xpcom addons and Firefox Sync does a great job syncing my bookmarks and addons I feel no need to move old profiles around, somebody at mozilla (or the nsa) knows all my bookmarks but hey at least they don't have to hack me to get them

Quote Originally Posted by I_A View Post
    as far as I understood the OP's issue was that the update applet was giving him a Firefox update notification even tho Firefox was up to date so he tried to uninstall Firefox by deleting a ~/.firefox folder
    The OP was triggered by the patch "openSUSE-2018-512" which moved Firefox to the version "60.0.1-98.2" and triggered a warning about the Firefox version "60.0-lp150.2.2".
    As the OP pointed out, attempting to remove a package named "firefox" fails -- the RPM package containing the Firefox browser is "MozillaFirefox".

We possibly missed something here:

@alanholt:
    Please execute, with the user 'root', the following commands to check for a possible corrupted RPM database:
    Code:
     # zypper clean --all
     # zypper refresh --force
     # zypper verify
     # rpm --rebuilddb
     # rpm --verify

The OP was triggered by the patch "openSUSE-2018-512" which moved Firefox to the version "60.0.1-98.2" and triggered a warning about the Firefox version "60.0-lp150.2.2".
    As the OP pointed out, attempting to remove a package named "firefox" fails -- the RPM package containing the Firefox browser is "MozillaFirefox".

We possibly missed something here:

@alanholt:
    Please execute, with the user 'root', the following commands to check for a possible corrupted RPM database:
    Code:
     # zypper clean --all
     # zypper refresh --force
     # zypper verify
     # rpm --rebuilddb
     # rpm --verify
    and running
    Code:
    sudo zypper clean
    sudo zypper ref
    sudo zypper up
    which I suggested would have fixed that
    https://forums.opensuse.org/showthre...20#post2868420
    the OP said he tried to uninstall Firefox by deleting a `/.firefox folder
    Quote Originally Posted by alanholt View Post
    Hi

I have deleted the .firefox folder, rebooted, and the system automatically installs Firefox 60.0.1.

ps
    running
    Code:
    sudo zypper rm firefox
    does remove MozillaFirefox here;s the output of my terminal
    Code:
    > sudo zypper rm firefox
    [sudo] password for root: 
    Loading repository data...
    Reading installed packages...
    'firefox' not found in package names. Trying capabilities.
    Resolving package dependencies...

The following application is going to be REMOVED:
      "Firefox Web Browser"

The following 2 packages are going to be REMOVED:
      kmozillahelper MozillaFirefox

2 packages to remove.
    After the operation, 153,9 MiB will be freed.
    Continue? [y/n/...? shows all options] (y):
    but we are beating a dead horse and I think we should stop it

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12