Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: adduser or useradd help, probably YaST

Default adduser or useradd help, probably YaST

When I installed 42.3(prior to upgrade to 15.0), I 'by-passed' the USER creation panel, and went straight to root panel. Something I now regret to a degree. I have no excuse for doing so.

That install user panel had a box for 'Use this Password for System Administrator'.
    SO, I need to create a 'new user' that has admin access.

No problem creating the user in YaST, but getting it to have admin capabilities has got me stumped.
    Is there a command line that will do it?
    or a file to edit ?
    or ...?
    Once again in my own fashion, this newbie strikes again!

PS> I have read so many articles from opensuse documentation and other searches that have me even more confused.
    the su and sudo stuff along with parameters in sudoer file. Head spinning!
    Last edited by Bill_L; 03-Jun-2018 at 17:01. Reason: needed to add a line
    HP Compaq desktop Leap15.2, Win10, Win7
    Toshiba laptops Leap15.2 & Win10, HP AiO Leap 15.2.
    I can now print with openSuSe Leap! Can Scan now, could be better!!
    I can backup my iPod and iPad with Windows, can't with Linux.(Will get there someday!)

Blog Entries

Default Re: adduser or useradd help, probably YaST

Please, don't panic. Too many options to get this fixed.

Can you still boot the system?
    Did you perform an install or an upgrade?

What is it you expect or want to achieve?

Did you read the docs re. upgrading?
    ° Appreciate my reply? Click the star and let me know why.

° Perfection is not gonna happen. No way.

http://en.opensuse.org/User:Knurpht
    http://nl.opensuse.org/Gebruiker:Knurpht

Quote Originally Posted by Knurpht View Post
    Please, don't panic. Too many options to get this fixed.
    No panic. just questions, and yes the options to remedy are mind boggling.
    Can you still boot the system?
    Well yeah, no problems after some ACPI messages >>> BUT still running as root.
    Did you perform an install or an upgrade?
    I installed Leap 42.3 via USB media, THEN upgrade while 'live' to Leap 15.0 which is working fine(I presume).
    What is it you expect or want to achieve?
    I would like to have a non root user, that has admin access. Like I said in OP, I 'skipped' the New User panel during the install of 42.3.
    Did you read the docs re. upgrading?
    Numerous times, and a lot of trepidation, but it upgraded fine.

My main concern here is getting the non root user to have administration access >> The part I skipped over in the install process where it asked if I wanted the USER password to be used for Administration access. I can get a screen shot from a opensuse install article if needed of that install panel.
    I can backup my iPod and iPad with Windows, can't with Linux.(Will get there someday!)

Hi,

To add new user and create home:
    useradd --create-home your_user

passwd your_user - to create a password

to change a user home directory
    usermod -d /home/new_home -m your_user

to add a user to a group
    usermod -aG what_group your_user

The group wheel is the administration group.
    Add you user to that group:
    gpasswd -a your_user wheel

Quote Originally Posted by BillLyte View Post
    That install user panel had a box for 'Use this Password for System Administrator'.
    I miss connection between the first and second sentences. The installer asked you for root password which you obviously know as you are logged in as root. User created during installation has no special privileges, there is no special "admin access". Where have you got this idea? Just create normal user as usual.

You can become root as a normal user at anytime to do administration. You don't need a special user. The installer defaults to using the same password for root and the first user but that does not give that user special privileges.

Blog Entries

When I installed 42.3(prior to upgrade to 15.0), I 'by-passed' the USER creation panel, and went straight to root panel. Something I now regret to a degree. I have no excuse for doing so.

No problem creating the user in YaST, but getting it to have admin capabilities has got me stumped.
    Is there a command line that will do it?
    or a file to edit ?
    or ...?
    Once again in my own fashion, this newbie strikes again!

PS> I have read so many articles from opensuse documentation and other searches that have me even more confused.
    the su and sudo stuff along with parameters in sudoer file. Head spinning!
    So you understand what was happening and your result...

By default, the installer will create a normal non-root User, ask you whether you want to make the password for your new User account the same as your root account (root is God on your machine) and whether to make your User the "System Administrator" for your machine. The "System Administrator" role is really only for bookkeeping purposes like where to send machine internal messages, it's not the same as root which has real power permissions on your machine.

When you bypassed creating a normal User, the machine then asked you to create a password for root, because regardless whether there are other Users on your machine or not, root always has to exist and its User name (root) and related UID cannot change, those are staticly set and the same on every machine.

The result is that when your installer completes, your machine should be pretty normal... But, it will only have root set up on your machine because that's all you have set up.

Now, any time you create a User on a Linux box (using YaST or the command line, both are acceptable), your User is assigned to at least one UserGroup. YaST will set you up with defaults most people will be happy with, so it's probably preferable;

In Linux, we don't have User-based security like what you may be used to in MSWindows where there is always "the" Adminstrator 500 account (comparable to root) and a Local Administrators group where you can place any Users to grant them local Administrator (near-God second only to the 500 account) permissions on the machine. Instead, on Linux we provide a means to temporarily elevate an ordinary User's permissions(su and sudo commands in a console) to accomplish specified tasks, afterwards the User is dropped down to normal permissions. This is almost universally considered superior to the Windows Administrators group method, and indeed with Win8 and Win10 Microsoft introduced "Run As Administrator" to improve the MSWindows security model.

We do have the Wheel group as @another_roadrunnier describes,
    But you should be very careful with that, and it's not quite the same as what exists in the MSWindows Administrator group. I've personally only ever used it in special situations to tie together services running on a machine, never granting that capability to User accounts with local login capability. But, you will find some blogs and guides that do use the wheel group with ordinary User accounts.

HTH,
    TSU
    Beginner Wiki Quickstart - https://en.opensuse.org/User:Tsu2/Quickstart_Wiki
    Solved a problem recently? Create a wiki page for future personal reference!
    Learn something new?
    Attended a computing event?
    Post and Share!

Quote Originally Posted by arvidjaar View Post
    I miss connection between the first and second sentences. The installer asked you for root password which you obviously know as you are logged in as root. User created during installation has no special privileges, there is no special "admin access". Where have you got this idea? Just create normal user as usual.
    Just for the record:
    Image labeled 'Create New User about half way down in this article.
    http://www.opensuse-guide.org/installation.php

Look closely at the boxes below the user name and password fill ins.

Clearly a box that states "Use this Password as System Administrator'.

And a radio button below that that is the 'Skip this Creation' which I should not have done!

Just for the record:
    Image labeled 'Create New User about half way down in this article.
    http://www.opensuse-guide.org/installation.php

Look closely at the boxes below the user name and password fill ins.

Clearly a box that states "Use this Password as System Administrator'.

And a radio button below that that is the 'Skip this Creation' which I should not have done!
    Hi:

That dialogue will create two users, if you do not skip.

One is your User, the other is root aka System Administrator.

That choice simply gives your User and root the same password, but they are still separate Accounts on that system.

You should run GUI *only* as User, not as root, because it will wind up destroying your system at some point.

When you need to do something Administrative, you will (most often) be given the choice to do that task as root/Administrator.

Other things, such as working as root on the command line, are carried out using one of various methods depending on what you are trying to accomplish.

Help for such things can be found when you ask here.

... and, Good for your Enthusiasm!
    "Take a Walk on a Sunny Day, Greet everyone along the way, and Make Somebody Smile, Today"
    Gerry Jack Macks"Walk On A Sunny Day" GerryJackMacks.net

To do what should have been done: to create a user.

Boot into the GUI login screen (do NOT login there, you have only the root user and root should NEVER login in the GUI).
    Ctrl-Alt-F1 will now bring you in the console and a CLI login.
    Login with root (the only user you have).
    Give the command
    Code:
    yast
    This will bring you into the ncurses interface of YaST.
    Use arrow keys, etc. to go to Security and Users and then to Users and groups.
    That is the place to create your user.
    Henk van Velden

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast