Authentication Required - how to get rid of this annoying dialog after every login

Hi guys,
This annoying dialog “Authentication Required” started to pop up recently, just after every login to KDE, demanding root password to refresh system repositories.
After a minute or so it disappears on it’s own, followed by a “update failed” tray notification, which also disappears soon. It’s not a blocker, just annoying and looking unprofessionally.
Please, how to get rid of this?

It must be something to do with KDE/Gnome interoperability because:

• it started to appear only after I had installed Gnome alongside my primary KDE
  • no Authentication Required pops up when login to Gnome
  • the dialog looks like it is from Gnome (KDE has a differently looking password UI)

https://i.stack.imgur.com/75q8A.png

The popup dialog says: “Authentication is required to refresh the system repositories”.
Action: Refresh system repositories
org.freedesktop.packagekit.system-sources-refresh
Vendor: The PackageKit project.
polkit.subject-pid: xxxx
polkit.caller-pid: xxxx

I probably need to go to Gnome and disable some service somewhere but I don’t know what.
How to generally disable automatic update check? I can live without it and rely only on manually triggered updates.

There was perhaps a similar issue discussed in 2014: https://forums.opensuse.org/showthread.php/495234-How-to-disable-automatic-checking-for-updates-after-startup
But the solution go to Configure Desktop (in the menu) → Startup and Shutdown → Service Manager → uncheck the box for Apper as there is no more any Apper service or Configure Desktop app.

Cheers!
Espinosa

I don’t normally see that.

Right click on the tray (bottom right). Click on “System Tray Settings”. Uncheck the box for “Software Updates”.

No, I don’t think that is Gnome related. But you probably did something that caused this. Maybe you went to Yast “Security Center and Hardening” and tightened the permissions.

Hi nrickert
Thank you for your helpful answer.

Right click on the tray (bottom right). Click on “System Tray Settings”. Uncheck the box for “Software Updates”.

That did the trick! True, I don’t have update check at all but I can live without it. It’s mostly s server box. I’ll have to look for other solution.

No, I don’t think that is Gnome related

You are right. I followed the process, entered password, and what followed looked like a standard KDE System Update check.
Sorry for the confusion, visuals slightly changed from older versions.

Maybe you went to Yast “Security Center and Hardening” and tightened the permissions.

Sorry, no. Not knowingly…

Run
Yast Online Update
from time to time. For a server, I would suggest you run it just before scheduled reboots.