Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: no development group in the installation process

Default no development group in the installation process

Dear friends:
    I have installed leap15 in my pc by selecting "custome software installation" and "install all in this list". But it ends up with "no cc" "no kdevelopment" "no kernel header file“. I can not install nvidia driver.
    The software installation interfaces is missing many groups that existed in leap 42.3.for example " the development " and " integrated development "
    How to resolve this problems.
    Regards

Default Re: no development group in the installation process

YaST > Software > Software Management.

Then in the View menu choose Patterns. Scroll down left to Development and check at least Basic Development for installation. You will see what that includes at right.
    Henk van Velden

Quote Originally Posted by hcvv View Post
    YaST > Software > Software Management.

Then in the View menu choose Patterns. Scroll down left to Development and check at least Basic Development for installation. You will see what that includes at right.
    I can't enter the gui interface without nvidia driver. So i need to re-install the system again. I still can't find the "development group" in the installation process.

Why don't you just install the nvidia driver from the repo?
    https://en.opensuse.org/SDB:NVIDIA_drivers

If you cannot find the development pattern during installation, it's probably because it's not on the DVD. You'd need to enable online repos during installation.
    Or install the needed packages manually, these should probably suffice: make, gcc, kernel-devel, kernel-default-devel (I'm not sure if those are on the DVD though)

OTOH, there shouldn't be a need for reinstallation because of that. Just boot to text mode if graphical mode doesn't work and install the driver there.
    Or, switch to xdm as login manager and IceWM as default X session, that should work in any case.
    Code:
    sudo update-alternatives --config default-displaymanager
    sudo update-alternatives --config default-xsession.desktop
    Last edited by wolfi323; 01-Jun-2018 at 06:23.

PS: remove or rename the file /etc/X11/xorg.conf if it exists, maybe the graphical session works then (using nouveau as driver)...

And I suggested YaST, not restricted to the GUI.

Code:
    yast
    will start the ncurses interface.
    Henk van Velden

Quote Originally Posted by wolfi323 View Post
    Why don't you just install the nvidia driver from the repo?
    https://en.opensuse.org/SDB:NVIDIA_drivers

If you cannot find the development pattern during installation, it's probably because it's not on the DVD. You'd need to enable online repos during installation.
    Or install the needed packages manually, these should probably suffice: make, gcc, kernel-devel, kernel-default-devel (I'm not sure if those are on the DVD though)

OTOH, there shouldn't be a need for reinstallation because of that. Just boot to text mode if graphical mode doesn't work and install the driver there.
    Or, switch to xdm as login manager and IceWM as default X session, that should work in any case.
    Code:
    sudo update-alternatives --config default-displaymanager
    sudo update-alternatives --config default-xsession.desktop
    Dear sir:
    I solved the problem by using the online repositories during the installation process. NVIDIA driver can be installed smoothly. regards

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by ztdep View Post
    I still can't find the "development group" in the installation process.
    I guess they decided to not put that on the DVD. So you would need to add online repos at install time, or install that pattern later.

Checking my own system, I notice that I failed to install the basic devel pattern on my laptop, perhaps because it wasn't on the DVD and I'm not used to having to go back and add that later.
    opensuse Leap 15.0; KDE Plasma 5;
    opensuse tumbleweed; KDE Plasma 5 (test system);

Quote Originally Posted by nrickert View Post
    I guess they decided to not put that on the DVD. So you would need to add online repos at install time, or install that pattern later.

Checking my own system, I notice that I failed to install the basic devel pattern on my laptop, perhaps because it wasn't on the DVD and I'm not used to having to go back and add that later.
    Yes, it will need 2 DVDs at least to include all packages. I am very glad to see that LEAP 15 has included many packages for HPC.

Blog Entries

I've been testing Beta releases of Leap 15.0 since early on (maybe December 2017). The systems that I installed early, then updated, all have the basic development included.

My best guess is that the basic development pattern was on the DVD during early testing, then removed to make space for other software.

That's probably a good decision. Most users don't need the development packages, except perhaps for installing nvidia drivers.
    opensuse Leap 15.0; KDE Plasma 5;
    opensuse tumbleweed; KDE Plasma 5 (test system);

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast