Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: I followed a Suse wiki to set up an encripted area, now I can not boot up the system.

Blog Entries

Default Re: I followed a Suse wiki to set up an encripted area, now I can not boot up the system.

Quote Originally Posted by AdrianH View Post
    I will have a play when I next feel brave and I will read your comments as well as the wiki I think I understand that the files should not be within the directory as I am setting the directory to be the mount point for the file.
    Perhaps try using "ecryptfs" instead of what you previously tried.
    openSUSE Leap 15.1; KDE Plasma 5;
    testing Leap 15.2Alpha

Default Re: I followed a Suse wiki to set up an encripted area, now I can not boot up the system.

OK, looks like the only time I get to play with these things is around midnight.
    But!

I have it working.

As before from terminal in home directory

~> touch secret
    ~> mkdir locked

Then into yast and followed the instructions to create the loop file, gave it a reasonable size of around 3Gig used /home/adrian/locked as the mount point added the password and it created it.

Restart of the computer it asked for the password and booted up OK.
    Looked in Dolphin (file manager) and locked now has a lost and found folder in it, looking good so far.
    But could not place anything in the locked folder, checked permissions and found as suspected only root could access. So File manager super user mode selected the locked folder and changed user to adrian and groups to users, selected apply to all sub folders and OK.

Out of super user mode and back into standard file manager and stick some documents into my locked folder.

Reboot computer and just hit return when prompted for the password (5 times) and the computer moves on and boots up, nothing is shown in the locked folder. The secret is there as a 3 Gig file in my home, but again not accessible.

Reboot again this time give it the password, boots up and once again I can access the files I stuck in the locked encrypted folder.

Job done.

Thanks for the help looks like the wiki page needs to be amended slightly to change the permissions as suggested.

One happy novice.

Cheers

Adrian

I submitted the recommendation on the page the other night.

Glad you got this going.
    I don’t have anything to hide, but I don’t have anything I want to show you either.

Quote Originally Posted by AdrianH View Post
    I was following this link
    https://doc.opensuse.org/documentati....cryptofs.html

OK I did not recognise it was for Opensuse leap 15
    It cannot be for Leap 15 because Leap 15 does not even have Crypt Files section in Partitioner; rather it is a bug in documentation which did not remove obsolete section.

Anyway, I briefly tested it on Leap 42.3 using instructions on this page and it worked fine. I used paths directly under / (/test-crypt.img and /test-crypt for mount point). Using paths inside of separate filesystem may lead to problems due to systemd units dependencies; it is hard to say without more information.

Quote Originally Posted by arvidjaar View Post
    It cannot be for Leap 15 because Leap 15 does not even have Crypt Files section in Partitioner; rather it is a bug in documentation which did not remove obsolete section.

Anyway, I briefly tested it on Leap 42.3 using instructions on this page and it worked fine. I used paths directly under / (/test-crypt.img and /test-crypt for mount point). Using paths inside of separate filesystem may lead to problems due to systemd units dependencies; it is hard to say without more information.
    Thanks for the info on LEAP 15. I'm pretty sure I made the recommendation on the old LEAP 42.3 docs, since we were playing with 42.3. I never even looked at LEAP 15
    I don’t have anything to hide, but I don’t have anything I want to show you either.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12