Thread: laptop not connected to network all the time Tumbleweeds latest greatest.

Default laptop not connected to network all the time Tumbleweeds latest greatest.

This may be a unique problem but it is my problem.

My laptop is rarely connected to a internet connection and the software updates is throwing a connection error quite often.

How can i make the software updater only active when connected so i don't get the errors constantly?

I only use the updater to see theres updates when the internet connection is active but use zypper in a konsole to do the actuall updateing.

Blog Entries

Default Re: laptop not connected to network all the time Tumbleweeds latest greatest.

Quote Originally Posted by GDixon View Post
    This may be a unique problem but it is my problem.

My laptop is rarely connected to a internet connection and the software updates is throwing a connection error quite often.

How can i make the software updater only active when connected so i don't get the errors constantly?

I only use the updater to see theres updates when the internet connection is active but use zypper in a konsole to do the actuall updateing.
    Your post includes your probable issue: as per documentation you should not use the updater or YaST, but only 'zypper dup' to update Tumbleweed. This due to Tw's nature, it gets released over and over again. Running anything but 'zypper dup' will definitely bork your system one way or another.
    So, first run 'zypper dup' and disable the updater.
    ° Appreciate my reply? Click the star and let me know why.

° Perfection is not gonna happen. No way.

http://en.opensuse.org/User:Knurpht
    http://nl.opensuse.org/Gebruiker:Knurpht

Default Re: laptop not connected to network all the time Tumbleweeds latest greatest.

If you are using gnome:
    Disables notifications
    gsettings set org.gnome.software download-updates false
    Disables the use of package updater
    gsettings set org.gnome.software allow-updates false
    I don’t have anything to hide, but I don’t have anything I want to show you either.

I agree zypper dup is the best way to update and is how i do so.

Just how can i disable the updater that gets placed in the sys tray? There is no obvious way to do so.

Quote Originally Posted by GDixon View Post
    I agree zypper dup is the best way to update and is how i do so.

Just how can i disable the updater that gets placed in the sys tray? There is no obvious way to do so.
    Right click on the system tray (bottom right of your screen) and remove it (software update).

Default Re: laptop not connected to network all the time Tumbleweeds latest greatest. SOLVED!

Doh, it's as simple as that lol and here i was searching for a box to check and turn it off!

Thanks now to mark this as solved