Thread: Can't tether to Android smartphone internet via USB or hotspot

Default Can't tether to Android smartphone internet via USB or hotspot

I can't figure out how to tether a Tumbleweed-powered laptop to my Android smartphone's internet connection, as I regularly did with Windows 7 and Linux Mint versions 17.* and 18.*.

If I turn on USB tethering in Android, the Tumbleweed laptop's Network Manager icon changes to indicate a successful connection, and I'll see a "You are now connected to Wired Connection (Number)" notification.

Unfortunately, this notification is misleading: pings and traceroutes get "Name or service not known" errors. I can't go online.

Symptoms are the same when I instead try to connect by enabling "Wi-Fi hotspot" in Android. The laptop prompts me to enter the Wi-fi hotspot password, reports "Connection established," shows the wi-fi signal icon ... and gives the same "Name or service not known errors" on ping attempts. No internet.

Enabling USB debugging in Android (Lineage OS, successor to CyanogenMod) didn't help. I experimented with a second Tumbleweed-powered laptop, with identical results.

I searched opensuse.org for related threads, and thought I saw a light at the end of the tunnel while reading Deano Ferrari's tips in:

https://forums.opensuse.org/showthre...-Galaxy-Note-5

I edited /etc/resolv.conf to point to openDNS nameservers. This time, after a ten second pause, ping delivered a different message:

"Temporary failure in name resolution."

... but nothing else, and the system still wouldn't go online.

I also tried following the steps at:

https://developers.google.com/speed/...dns/docs/using

to change to Google's DNS, without success.

FWIW, I can easily transfer files to and from the smartphone, simply by changing USB options from 'charging' to 'file transfer.'

If I remember correctly, USB tethering in Linux Mint was pretty much 'plug and play' for both these laptops.

Troubleshooting tips will be appreciated!

Default Re: Can't tether to Android smartphone internet via USB or hotspot

Update: there may be an issue with the phone itself. I'll post again if sure that the issue is with the configuration of Linux on the computer, and not the configuration of Linux in Android.

Update #2: it was the phone, finally fixed via ADB shell. Case closed. Sorry for an unnecessary thread.

Quote Originally Posted by Tuner View Post
    Sorry for an unnecessary thread.
    That is fine. It is always rewarding when you can solve a problem yourself.
    And others can learn from it.

Enjoy.
    Henk van Velden

Thanks, Henk. For the curious: I posted the gory details in Fraser Bell's 'Android and OpenSUSE' thread in hardware:

https://forums.opensuse.org/showthre...30#post2867830