Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Cannot boot after upgrade to 15.0

Default Cannot boot after upgrade to 15.0

Working on the last machine to upgrade, a 64bit dualcore desk machine with ext2 disk and Nvidia video card.

Did a live upgrade and all was apparently well until I tried to reboot. It does the usual messages upto grub stage2 when the screen blanks and it starts booting again. I have nothing with which to modify. What can I do? Total reinstall would be a pain but I suppose is an option.

Yes I did remove the Nvidia repository before upgrade.

Blog Entries

Default Re: Cannot boot after upgrade to 15.0

Try adding " nomodeset" to the end of the boot command line. Hit 'e' on the grub menu line, scroll down to find the line that starts with "linux" (or "linuxefi"), then hit the END key to get to the end of that line.

I don't know if it will work. But it might get you booted so that you can uninstall the Nvidia driver and perhaps install the newer Nvidia driver.
    openSUSE Leap 15.3; KDE Plasma 5.18.6;

Quote Originally Posted by nrickert View Post
    Try adding " nomodeset" to the end of the boot command line. Hit 'e' on the grub menu line, scroll down to find the line that starts with "linux" (or "linuxefi"), then hit the END key to get to the end of that line.

I don't know if it will work. But it might get you booted so that you can uninstall the Nvidia driver and perhaps install the newer Nvidia driver.
    Sorry I do not get to the boot command line. It looks just after the message about grub stage2. It blanks rather too fast for me to read. It seems as if grub is corrupted

Blog Entries

How are you booting?

Maybe you have repeated upgraded and are still using legacy grub.

If you are using Windows boot manager for booting, then you need to update the boot file that you configured it to use.

In short, you have not given us enough information about what you are doing.

Another thought; is there a Leap 15.0 rescue disk?

I have not found one, just full. net install, and two live systems for KDE and Gnome, neither of which I know.
    I would think that a rescue disk would allow me to check the Nvidia drivers and rebuild grub configuration.

Quote Originally Posted by nrickert View Post
    How are you booting?

Maybe you have repeated upgraded and are still using legacy grub.

If you are using Windows boot manager for booting, then you need to update the boot file that you configured it to use.

In short, you have not given us enough information about what you are doing.
    This machine is quite old and as far as I know used grub to boot. It has never run any operating system except opensuse; not sure which was first but if necessary I should be able to find out; it was new in November 2009, so whatever was current then. No windows. My other desk machine is actually from May 2009 and I updated it Saturday and that went smoothly (ATI video)

What other information does it need? It was running 42.3 with no problems, has one 500Gb disk with one ext partition and a swap partition. Not sure about size of main memory but I think 4Gb. Said before is dualcore AMD, and ran fvwm on X11, no KDE or gnome. Actually my wife's machine....

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by jpff View Post
    Another thought; is there a Leap 15.0 rescue disk?
    I am seeing:
    "http://download.opensuse.org/distribution/leap/15.0/live/openSUSE-Leap-15.0-Rescue-CD-x86_64-Snapshot17.8-Media.iso"

It probably uses XFCE.

Maybe a quick check:

If you have "/boot/grub/menu.lst", and if it has a recent date, then you are probably using legacy grub.

If you have "/boot/grub2/grub.cfg" and it has a recent date, then you are probably using "grub2".

I will try that rescue disk. At present as I cannot get the m/c to boot I have no ideas about the dates on /boot/grub/menu.lst but judging by the look of the menu in 42.3 it was running grub.

Last message got deleted

I can confirm that it is configured for grub and /boot/grub/menu.lst looks right.

With the rescue disk I can see the files using tty1 but cannot think what to go. The message I see flashed on the screen says it is starting stage2 of grub, so I guess either the configuration is different or stage2 is corrupted.

What do I do now?

Blog Entries

I would suggest installing grub2.

Here's what to try:

1: Boot from the rescue disk. Use "su" to become root.
    2: Mount your root partition
    Code:
    mount /dev/sdaX /mnt
    (change that X to the appropriate value)
    3: Mount your home partition at "/mnt/home" -- probably not needed, but it won't hurt.
    4: Mount any other partitions, such as a separate "/boot" if you are using one.
    5: And then:
    Code:
    mount --bind /dev  /mnt/dev
    mount --bind /proc /mnt/proc
    mount --bind /sys /mnt/sys
    6: At this stage you should have everthing mounted. So now:
    Code:
    chroot /mnt
    and that should put you inside your mounted partition.
    7: It now gets tricky, but I think you will find this the easiest:
    Code:
    yast
    That should put you in a command line (ncurses) version of Yast. Get to the bootloader section. And switch to using "grub2" instead of using "grub".
    8: exit (leave the "chroot" mode) and reboot.

There are alternative ways of doing this that don't use yast. But give it a try with yast.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast