Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Small glitches upgrading from 42.3 to 15.0

Default Small glitches upgrading from 42.3 to 15.0

I just upgraded from 42.3 to 15.0. Things seem to have gone well. There were only a few odd glitches:

KMail stopped working. When I opened it in a konsole I found that libva.so.2 was missing. I went into Yast and found the libva 2.0 package was not installed. After installing the package, Kmail worked fine. It had been working in 42.3 without this fix.

My disk based calendar file, main_calendar.ics was missing all recurring and the most recent events. I restored a backup and they reappeared without a problem. Somehow, the file must have been truncated or corrupted during the update.

An error message appears on boot: SP5100_TCO: IO address 060cd6 in use. This did not appear under 42.3. I've seen this reported as a kernel regression in Tumbleweed and some discussion of it maybe having to do with a Radeon video card. I do have Radeon on my motherboard, but I have disabled it and use a faster NVidia card and the NVidia drivers instead. I don't detect any symptoms after the system boots, however.

The application widgets on my panel were there, but the icons were missing. I had to erase them and re-attach the applications to the panel. On the newly reattached applications, the proper icons do appear.

There is a lot of constant disk activity since rebooting. I would hope this will stop.

That's it. Otherwise the process was pretty painless for a major system upgrade.

Default Re: Small glitches upgrading from 42.3 to 15.0

Yes, but ... where is the question, here? What are you asking? Or, are you asking something, or just reporting your experience?

I need to know in order to proceed.
    "Take a Walk on a Sunny Day, Greet everyone along the way, and Make Somebody Smile, Today"
    Gerry Jack Macks"Walk On A Sunny Day" GerryJackMacks.net

Quote Originally Posted by bearymore View Post
    KMail stopped working. When I opened it in a konsole I found that libva.so.2 was missing. I went into Yast and found the libva 2.0 package was not installed. After installing the package, Kmail worked fine.
    This needs bug report to be fixed.

Quote Originally Posted by Fraser_Bell View Post
    Yes, but ... where is the question, here? What are you asking? Or, are you asking something, or just reporting your experience?

I need to know in order to proceed.
    I was primarily reporting my experience. I was mostly hoping to help others who encounter the kmail issue.

I did want some help on the disk activity issue. It seems to be related to an akonadi pop3 resource that is constantly accessing the disk and an akonadi server instance that is constantly using 25% of the cpu or more. I terminated both processes and things calmed down. Kmail and korganizer still work after I did that. Is this a known issue?

I was primarily reporting my experience. I was mostly hoping to help others who encounter the kmail issue.
    Okay, thanks.

For anyone following this thread, if primarily reporting your experience, please post such things in a Chit-Chat or similar Forum, as the "Get Technical Help Here" Forums are for asking questions and seeking solutions.

@bearymore: Now some questions have been asked and answered, I will leave this thread here.

Thanks for your input.
    "Take a Walk on a Sunny Day, Greet everyone along the way, and Make Somebody Smile, Today"
    Gerry Jack Macks"Walk On A Sunny Day" GerryJackMacks.net

Quote Originally Posted by arvidjaar View Post
    This needs bug report to be fixed.
    Well, TBH I don't see a bug there though.

kmail does *not* require or use libva2.
    ffmpeg's libavcodec does (which is needed by QtWebEngine, that's used by kmail for the mail display) as it is linked against libva.so.2, but it does require it on a package level.

I have no idea how one would end up with libavcodec installed, but not libva2.
    Except maybe by choosing "Break xxx by ignoring some of its dependencies..." in a conflict resolution dialog/message.

I don't really think a bug report makes sense here without finding out first what actually happened. /var/log/zypp/history may have a clue, depending on how the upgrade was performed.
    Last edited by wolfi323; 30-May-2018 at 04:42.

I did want some help on the disk activity issue. It seems to be related to an akonadi pop3 resource that is constantly accessing the disk and an akonadi server instance that is constantly using 25% of the cpu or more. I terminated both processes and things calmed down. Kmail and korganizer still work after I did that. Is this a known issue?
    The only known "issue" is that Akonadi's database will have to be upgraded on first start, as the table schemas have changed.
    This can take a while (and also use some CPU I suppose), but that's done *before* any resources are started.

Maybe that was caused by mail indexing? Or the pop3 resource just synchronized the mails/cache with the actual storage location (which can take a while too if there are many mails).

Quote Originally Posted by wolfi323 View Post
    The only known "issue" is that Akonadi's database will have to be upgraded on first start, as the table schemas have changed.
    This can take a while (and also use some CPU I suppose), but that's done *before* any resources are started.

Maybe that was caused by mail indexing? Or the pop3 resource just synchronized the mails/cache with the actual storage location (which can take a while too if there are many mails).
    Akonadi works normal for weeks, but suddenly there is heavy activity (cpu+disk) with typical error messages:

1867 Command: FetchItems scope: UID 23778 scopeContext:ScopeContext(empty) fetchScope:FetchScope( Fetch Flags:QFlags(0x1|0x10|0x40|0x100|0x200) Tag Fetch Scope:QSet() Changed Since:QDateTime(Invalid) Ancestor Depth:No ancestor Requested Parts:QVector())
    AMD Athlon 4850e (2009), openSUSE 13.1, KDE 4, Intel i3-4130 (2014), i7-6700K (2016), i5-8250U (2018), AMD Ryzen 5 3400G (2020), openSUSE Tumbleweed, KDE Plasma 5

Quote Originally Posted by karlmistelberger View Post
    Akonadi works normal for weeks, but suddenly there is heavy activity (cpu+disk) with typical error messages:
    After upgrading from 42.3 to 15.0?
    That's the topic here.

Or what version exactly are you using anyway?

That's not an *error* message though, AFAICT.

Quote Originally Posted by karlmistelberger View Post
    But again, it might just be syncing a folder.
    You can check the status of all resources in akonadiconsole e.g.

You might try to run "akonadictl fsck" (as user! not root!) to see whether there is a problem with the database and hopefully fix it.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast