Results 1 to 5 of 5

Thread: Upgrade from 42.3: Python versions?

  1. #1

    Default Upgrade from 42.3: Python versions?

    I successfully upgraded from 42.3 to Leap 15 and it seems to work.
    The process of upgrading rather than formatting the root system partition and rewriting has me a bit confused.
    In particular it created space problems; I had to delete a lot of stuff to make room.
    In particular /usr space for Python now shows:
    Code:
    # ls /usr/lib64/python
    python/    python2.7/ python3.4/ python3.6/
    Do I need the python 3.4 since I am now on 3.6?

  2. #2

    Default Re: Upgrade from 42.3: Python versions?

    Quote Originally Posted by colbec View Post
    Do I need the python 3.4 since I am now on 3.6?
    No.
    That's probably just a left-over, empty, directory from 42.3 anyway.

    python 3.6 won't use it in any case.

  3. #3

    Default Re: Upgrade from 42.3: Python versions?

    Quote Originally Posted by wolfi323 View Post
    No.
    That's probably just a left-over, empty, directory from 42.3 anyway.
    Partly right, it was left over but not empty; in fact it was registering in disk usage analyzer as being the largest component in lib64.
    It contained stuff in directory "site packages" amounting to 400 MB+, which evidently the upgrade did not know how to handle.
    I moved the folder out of the system partition and find that this does not prevent the system from booting
    However likely at some point down the road will find that a component is missing for an application which needs to be rebuilt.

  4. #4

    Default Re: Upgrade from 42.3: Python versions?

    Quote Originally Posted by colbec View Post
    Partly right, it was left over but not empty; in fact it was registering in disk usage analyzer as being the largest component in lib64.
    It contained stuff in directory "site packages" amounting to 400 MB+, which evidently the upgrade did not know how to handle.
    Well, in my case it was empty.

    Maybe you used python-pip to install python packages?
    That circumvents openSUSE's package management completely, so the files will stay when you upgrade (but as I wrote, they won't be used by the newer python version).

  5. #5

    Default Re: Upgrade from 42.3: Python versions?

    Quote Originally Posted by wolfi323 View Post
    Maybe you used python-pip to install python packages?
    Correct. I will know in future to check whether there is a provided version of a package before using pip.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •