multi-media codes, vlc, kde

I did a manual install of the codecs using this page.

http://opensuse-guide.org/codecs.php

VLC showed an error.

I tried the one-click install. VLC still didn’t work. App will not launch.

Also, the dolphin app disappeared. I had to reinstall it. I’m now proceeding to do an update install. Reinstall with the additional nvidia repos only.

Note that that page has been updated to Leap 15.0 already, and contains the repo URLs for Leap 15.0.

Maybe that’s your problem, as you are apparently using Leap 42.3?

Post your repo list:

zypper lr -d

VLC showed an error.

And what error?

Once you get your repositories straight (post above) here is the oneclick site for Leap 42.3:

http://opensuse-community.org/index.html

Be aware I have never had success, and have read about overs having issues, with the nvidia oneclick installs on that page. The multimedia part always worked well.

I tend to avoid one click installs
the vdpau video plugin has been pulled from the main vlc distribution and put in a separate package as you say you have an nvidia card you’re missing that plugin so just do

zypper in vlc-vdpau

and vlc should work

ignore the above I thought you’re on LEAP 15.0 I didn’t see the LEAP 42.3 prefix 42.3 doesn’t have vlc-vdpau
the best thing you can do is tell us your repo’s and maybe the vlc output messages from a terminal

>And what error?

I meant to say VLC wouldn’t start up, meaning it crashed not displaying an error.

>ignore the above I thought you’re on LEAP 15.0 I didn’t see the LEAP 42.3 prefix 42.3 doesn’t have vlc-vdpau
the best thing you can do is tell us your repo’s and maybe the vlc output messages from a terminal

By using the wrong page, I managed to corrupt opensuse 42.3

More FYI, the update gave me a ‘system is not compatible with installed media’. When it booted, I saw a completely different desktop, something called ‘ice(XX)’. From the opensuse dvd, I did a install using the whole drive and erasing all the old data. I tried to import the user data That didn’t work and all my directories were empty. So, again, I copied the data from backup. I used the yast based method for installing the nvidia drivers. That was successful.

>I tend to avoid one click installs
the vdpau video plugin has been pulled from the main vlc distribution and put in a separate package as you say you have an nvidia card you’re missing that plugin so just do
Code: zypper in vlc-vdpau
and vlc should work.

I prefer the manual method using the command line for codecs. Which is the correct page for a manual install?

For opensuse 42.3, I need MP4 and AVI support

Here you go…

https://forums.opensuse.org/showthread.php/526222-Multimedia-Guide-for-openSUSE-Leap-42-3

This may also be of interest to you…
https://en.opensuse.org/SDB:Firefox_MP4/H.264_Video_Support

Ok.
In such a case it may be helpful to run the application in a terminal window (xterm, konsole, gnome-terminal, …), where you might get some error messages.

The rest is hopefully answered satisfactorily already or no longer relevant anyway.
But in principle, just replace “15.0” with “42.3” in the commands given on that 13. Multimedia Codecs - Install Support for restricted codecs including MP3, DVD, WMA, WMV, MOV etc. page and it should work fine for Leap 42.3…

Or actually just add the Packman repo (for your openSUSE version) and run “zypper dup --from xxx”.
E.g.:

sudo zypper ar -f http://packman.inode.at/suse/openSUSE_Leap_42.3 packman
sudo zypper dup --from packman

A list of mirrors can be found here, if you’d prefer a different one for some reason:

I followed this procedure:

https://forums.opensuse.org/showthread.php/526222-Multimedia-Guide-for-openSUSE-Leap-42-3

I after entering all the commands and ‘switch to packman’ in yast. I get no video on some mp4 files.

Filename was masked for privacy reasons.

>vlc 'Video.mp4'
VLC media player 2.2.6 Umbrella (revision 2.2.6-0-g1aae78981c)
[0000557ba9bc90c8] core libvlc: Running vlc with the default interface. Use 'cvlc' to use vlc without interface.
[mov,mp4,m4a,3gp,3g2,mj2 @ 0x7ffad8c3bd20] moov atom not found
[mov,mp4,m4a,3gp,3g2,mj2 @ 0x7ffaa0c01c80] moov atom not found
[00007ffaa0c01818] avformat demux error: Could not open /home/username/Videos/Video.mp4: Unknown error 1094995529
QObject::~QObject: Timers cannot be stopped from another thread

Can you provide a link to an example of a problematic MP4 file? The ‘moov atom not found’ seems to indicate a problem with the multimedia container itself.

as deano_ferrari said that suggests a bad mp4 file you should run it thru ffmpeg to see if the file is fine

ffmpeg -v error -i file.mp4 -f null - 2>error.log

you could use ffmpeg to try and fix the file

ffmpeg -i file.mp4 -c copy fixed_file.mp4

I used the first line to check the file for errors. It found a bad data block. All the file files that wouldn’t load are corrupted.

I used the second line to try to fix one file. That gives errors in the attempt:

>ffmpeg -i Video.mp4 -c copy fixed_file.mp4
ffmpeg version 3.4.2 Copyright (c) 2000-2018 the FFmpeg developers
  built with gcc 4.8 (SUSE Linux)
  configuration: --prefix=/usr --libdir=/usr/lib64 --shlibdir=/usr/lib64 --incdir=/usr/include/ffmpeg --extra-cflags='-fmessage-length=0 -grecord-gcc-switches -O2 -Wall -D_FORTIFY_SOURCE=2 -fstack-protector -funwind-tables -fasynchronous-unwind-tables -fstack-clash-protection -g' --optflags='-fmessage-length=0 -grecord-gcc-switches -O2 -Wall -D_FORTIFY_SOURCE=2 -fstack-protector -funwind-tables -fasynchronous-unwind-tables -fstack-clash-protection -g' --disable-htmlpages --enable-pic --disable-stripping --enable-shared --disable-static --enable-gpl --disable-openssl --enable-avresample --enable-libcdio --enable-gnutls --enable-ladspa --enable-libass --enable-libbluray --enable-libcelt --enable-libcdio --enable-libdc1394 --enable-libfreetype --enable-libgsm --enable-libmp3lame --enable-libopenjpeg --enable-libopus --enable-libpulse --enable-libspeex --enable-libtheora --enable-libtwolame --enable-libvorbis --enable-libvpx --enable-libwebp --enable-libzvbi --enable-vaapi --enable-vdpau --enable-libfdk_aac --enable-nonfree --enable-libx264 --enable-libx265 --enable-libxvid
  libavutil      55. 78.100 / 55. 78.100
  libavcodec     57.107.100 / 57.107.100
  libavformat    57. 83.100 / 57. 83.100
  libavdevice    57. 10.100 / 57. 10.100
  libavfilter     6.107.100 /  6.107.100
  libavresample   3.  7.  0 /  3.  7.  0
  libswscale      4.  8.100 /  4.  8.100
  libswresample   2.  9.100 /  2.  9.100
  libpostproc    54.  7.100 / 54.  7.100
[mov,mp4,m4a,3gp,3g2,mj2 @ 0xa7f180] Format mov,mp4,m4a,3gp,3g2,mj2 detected only with low score of 1, misdetection possible!
[mov,mp4,m4a,3gp,3g2,mj2 @ 0xa7f180] moov atom not found
Video.mp4: Invalid data found when processing input

Through my backup linux system, I was able to to recover some files. The rest I will have to get from the company that I bought them from.

well too much damage has occurred that file is not fixable

These are bought video files for education. No links available.

I’v done all I can. Thanks to all for the help. :slight_smile:

No worries. That was just so we could confirm the corruption. You’ve done that now. Glad to have been of guidance.