Thread: LaTeX on fresh install

Default LaTeX on fresh install

Hi,

I have fresh installed 15.0 and tried to use LaTeX (pdflatex/latex/luate,...) Nothing is working, actually I have found after some inspection that texhash was not working and no ls-R files were available. After some further investigation and compared to may 42.3 system, I have seen that the group mktex was missing. I have tried many hints, and have seen that similar problems were available earlier in the year in tumbleweed. But nothing helped, I am not able to fix the problem.

Eventually I was able to generate a ls-R by creating a group mktex, but after

fmtutil --all

this ends with:

4787 words of font info for 50 preloaded fonts
    14 hyphenation exceptions
    Hyphenation trie of length 6075 has 181 ops out of 35111
    181 for language 0
    0 words of pdfTeX memory
    0 indirect objects
    No pages of output.
    Transcript written on texsis.log.
    fmtutil [INFO]: /var/lib/texmf/web2c/pdftex/texsis.fmt installed.
    fmtutil [ERROR]: running `pdftex -ini -jobname=xmltex -progname=xmltex -translate-file=cp227.tcx *xmltex.ini </dev/null' return status 1
    fmtutil [ERROR]: return error due to options --strict
    fmtutil [ERROR]: running `pdftex -ini -jobname=jadetex -progname=jadetex -translate-file=cp227.tcx *jadetex.ini </dev/null' return status 1
    fmtutil [ERROR]: running `pdftex -ini -jobname=pdfxmltex -progname=pdfxmltex -translate-file=cp227.tcx *pdfxmltex.ini </dev/null' return status 1
    fmtutil [ERROR]: running `pdftex -ini -jobname=pdfjadetex -progname=pdfjadetex -translate-file=cp227.tcx *pdfjadetex.ini </dev/null' return status 1
    fmtutil [INFO]: Disabled formats: 8
    fmtutil [INFO]: Successfully rebuilt formats: 38
    fmtutil [INFO]: Not available formats: 1
    fmtutil [INFO]: Failed to build: 4 (pdftex/xmltex pdftex/jadetex pdftex/pdfxmltex pdftex/pdfjadetex)
    fmtutil [INFO]: Total formats: 51
    fmtutil [INFO]: exiting with status 4

Any hints?

Default Re: LaTeX on fresh install

this worked for me:
    Code:
    • zypper install --no-recommends latexila
    • zypper install --no-recommends texlive-pdftools
    The "no recommends" is to avoid downloading all the giant bunch of files that comes by default with latex packages in osuse.

once i had this 2 packages i could work with tex files in latexila and convert them to pdf from there or from the command line with

• Code:
      pdflatex file.tex

Default Re: LaTeX on fresh install

Whatever caused this, I suggest to uninstall LaTex, install the texlive-dummy package and texlive vanilla.

Dummy package: https://ctan.org/pkg/texlive-dummy-opensuse

Texlive vanilla: https://tug.org/texlive/

Usually the texlive version of openSuse is a good thing and the maintainer at SUSE really is up to speed. But getting help if something doesn't work is much easier with texlive vanilla, e.g. at tex.stackexchange.com or in many other forums.