Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Brother printer driver installs but can't print

Blog Entries

Default Re: Brother printer driver installs but can't print

Quote Originally Posted by Arnoldix View Post
    I had the same problem with another Brother printer. Probably the solution will be the same:
    The message "No such file or directory" is misleading, because 32 bit libraries, which are provided by Leap 42.3 and not Leap 15, are not found:
    If you run
    objdump -p /opt/brother/Printers/mfcj985dw/cupswrapper/brcupsconfpt1 | grep NEEDED
    you will see probably that libc.so.6 and libm.so.6 are needed. These libraries in turn need ld-linux.so.2.
    These "files" are in Leap 42.3 symbolic links to libc-2.22.so, libm-2.22.so and ld-2.22.so in the directory /lib. So I copied these three files from my old Leap 42.3 installation from the directory /lib to the Leap 15 installation /lib and set the symbolic links in the directory /lib
    ln -s libc-2.22.so libc-2.22.so
    ln -s libm-2.22.so libm-2.22.so
    ln -s ld-2.22.so ld-linux.so.2

Finally I could execute brcupsconfpt1 and printing was possible.
    Strange. Do you have glibc-32bit installed? FWIW, on my fully updated Leap 15 install glibc-32bit-2.26-lp150.10.13.x86_64, so perhaps you need to check the version installed.
    openSUSE Leap 15.0; KDE Plasma 5

I just bought a new laptop and I ran into the same problem--couldn't print after installing the brother drivers. After getting nowhere with the cups interface I think I found the problem, at least in my case. In YAST>printers>print via network, "Accept Printer Announcements from Cups Servers" was unchecked. After I checked the box I could print.

Spoke too soon. Still can't print. Something changed between leap 42.3 and 15. The brother driver installs but printing fails. Scanning works, strangely enough.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by gannicus View Post
    Spoke too soon. Still can't print. Something changed between leap 42.3 and 15. The brother driver installs but printing fails. Scanning works, strangely enough.
    All I can suggest is to try to diagnose (via print jobs and error_log) as with the other system earlier in this thread.

Thanks, Deano. I appreciate all your help--it's very kind of you. I spent so many fruitless hours trying to get printing to work with opensuse that I finally gave up and installed debian. Installing the deb brother packages worked without a hitch. I think something is broken with the opensuse brother printer set up.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by gannicus View Post
    Thanks, Deano. I appreciate all your help--it's very kind of you. I spent so many fruitless hours trying to get printing to work with opensuse that I finally gave up and installed debian. Installing the deb brother packages worked without a hitch. I think something is broken with the opensuse brother printer set up.
    I have a Brother DCP-7055 (USB connected) and an old HL-2150N (network) printer that I will test with when I get some time. I’ll report back with my findings.

Default AW: Brother printer driver installs but can't print

Please post as root:
    Code:
    echo $PATH

Code:
       echo $PATH
    /sbin:/bin:/usr/sbin:/usr/bin

Quote Originally Posted by deano_ferrari View Post
    Strange. Do you have glibc-32bit installed? FWIW, on my fully updated Leap 15 install glibc-32bit-2.26-lp150.10.13.x86_64, so perhaps you need to check the version installed.
    Hi,
    it was not installed. Your solution is definitively the most elegant one.
    Thank you!

Hehe openSUSE is the only one distro that runs my Brother printer/scanner! Thanks to yast I can install it in few steps. I had to struggle with it alone but now I'm happy and I can reproduce steps each time to fully working printer and scanner. On fedora I can print but scanner doesn't work, on *buntus I can scan but no printer... My printer is Brother DCP-J125

My steps:
    1. install:
    Code:
    sudo zypper in libusb-0_1-4 libusb-0_1-4-32bit
    (without 32bit doesn't work)
    2. add me to lp group (to be sure, i do it on every distro ) and logoff-login
    Code:
    sudo gpasswd -a <USER> lp
    3.Download from brother site package "driver-install-tool" for all drivers installation

4. plug in printer (without it after installation I have to remove printer and run the installer.
    During installation I deny to choose printer location or set auto.

Sometimes I have to remove and add a printer in yast because there are two printers, but that's all.

Scanner works as is but i have to # a line in /etc/udev/rules.d/55-brother-libsane-type1-inst.rules
    Code:
    #SYSFS{idVendor}=="04f9", GOTO="brother_mfp_udev_2"
    to avoid stupid entry in journal.

I'm not a power user but this procedure is a mix of many attempts on many distros gathered together. Maybe there are some stupid steps that I'm not sure about but if something is stupid and works, it is not stupid.

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast