Leap 15 NVidia drivers fail to build, and mouse is jerky

The NVidia driver fails to build for my Quadro K1200 and I can’t figure out why. The log file is at https://www.dropbox.com/s/ssabrh72j9683ej/zypper.zip?dl=0

In the meanwhile, everything onscreen is really slow, and my mouse (hard-wired or Logitech USB dongle) is completely jerky and unusable. I am thinking this mat be related to the video driver? Any ideas?
Thanks for any help,
Jim

This is a zypper log from 2015. How should this help to find the problem?

How exactly are you trying to install the nvidia driver, and what version?

In the meanwhile, everything onscreen is really slow, and my mouse (hard-wired or Logitech USB dongle) is completely jerky and unusable. I am thinking this mat be related to the video driver? Any ideas?

Install Mesa-dri-nouveau, otherwise the system will only use software OpenGL rendering which is indeed slow.

I don’t know what desktop you use but plasma 5 is known to have issues with nvidia hardware the fix is not to use noveau but the propitiatory driver I don’t know why you are building the driver when a prebuild (mostly) driver exists from nvidia
according to nvidia the 390.59 driver supports Quadro K1200
http://www.nvidia.com/download/driverResults.aspx/134262/en-us
you should add the nvidia repo and install the driver

sudo zypper ar -f http://http.download.nvidia.com/opensuse/leap/15.0/ nvidia
sudo zypper in x11-video-nvidiaG04

reboot to use the nvidia kernel module
that’s it no need to build the driver yourself
ps if you install the run driver you’re going to have to reinstall it with every kernel update this is not needed with the rpm package

The driver (kernel module) is still being built on installation though, even when installing the rpm packages.

I tried installing Mesa-dri-nouveau and rebooted, and it will not start. I get ACPI errors like
ACPI Error:namespace lookup failure and
ACPI_Ecxception: AE_NOT_FOUND.
I uninstalled the Mesa package from the console, but it still will not reboot.
How do I recover?
Thanks,
Jim

I did write prebuild mostly

if you can boot in console more
and install the G04 driver as stated above
if you can’t login at all
at the boot screen select edit hit the “e” key and at the end of the boot line add the number 3 which should boot you in console text mode where you can install the propitiatory G04 driver

Oops. It had no video drivers, so booted to the console.
The release notes should be more specific about how to install the NVidia drivers.
But I then followed the instructions for installing the drivers with zypper.

(2/4) Installing: nvidia-glG04-390.59-lp150.8.1.x86_64 ..........................................................................................................................[done]Additional rpm output:
update-alternatives: using /usr/lib64/xorg/modules/extensions/nvidia/nvidia-libglx.so to provide /usr/lib64/xorg/modules/extensions/libglx.so (libglx.so) in manual mode
update-alternatives: using /usr/lib64/xorg/modules/extensions/xorg/xorg-libglx.so to provide /usr/lib64/xorg/modules/extensions/libglx.so (libglx.so) in manual mode
sed: can't read /etc/ld.so.conf.d/nvidia-gfxG04.conf: No such file or directory

(3/4) Installing: nvidia-computeG04-390.59-lp150.8.1.x86_64 .....................................................................................................................[done]
(4/4) Installing: x11-video-nvidiaG04-390.59-lp150.8.1.x86_64 ...................................................................................................................[done]
Additional rpm output:
grep: etc/X11/xorg.conf: No such file or directory
jardell:/etc/ld.so.conf.d # lsgraphviz.conf  nvidia-gfxG04.conf.rpmsave  sssd-wbclient.conf

And it still reboots to the console. How do I fix this?

I haven’t done this in a long time but it’s possible the number 3 you added is preserved across reboots
hit edit again and if the 3 is there remove it and boot
if not what happens when you do a text logon and then go in run level 5 by executing

init 5

that should start the graphic system

init 5 gives me a graphical login screen. But I get a popup saying “Could not sync environment to dbus.”
And it will not dismiss
I uninstalled and reinstalled the drivers, and I get

Additional rpm output:grep: etc/X11/xorg.conf: No such file or directory

I did another reboot, and it booted to the console, and after init 5, booted successfully into graphics mode. Thanks for the help!
How do I get it to boot without the init 5? I never added a 3 to the boot process. And the jerky mouse is fixed too.

as I said it would seam the number 3 you added is preserved across reboots
you should remove it either by editing the boot line at boot time or go in yast and change it there

I did not think that it is preserved if “3” is added with “e”.
Write “cat /proc/cmdline” and you will see.
If it is - delete it from /etc/default/grub
then
grub2-mkconfig -o /boot/grub2/grub.cfg

No, it isn’t.

And the kernel command line is not the only way to choose the “runlevel”.
Check the default systemd target, either in YaST->System->Services Manager or:

systemctl get-default

It should be “graphical.target”, if it is not, set it to that, either in YaST or with:

systemctl set-default graphical.target

These should be harmless, I get them as well.

Definitely unrelated to the installation of Mesa-dri-nouveau though.

But that’s not true either.
Nothing is prebuilt in the rpm package, except the binary blobs of course (but those are “prebuilt” in the .run installer as well).
The kernel module is only contained as source and compiled on installation.
And that’s exactly the same regardless whether you use the .rpm packages or the .run installer.

The only real difference is that the rpm packages should make sure that the necessary devel packages are installed via the package dependencies.

Thanks so much. It was set to multi-user.target

Yes, that’s text mode.

That likely is also the reason why you didn’t get a GUI after installing Mesa-dri-nouveau, I suppose…