Reduced ISO size

Wow…

42.3 was 4.4GB in size against 15’s 3.7GB.

Why such a huge reduction???

I am fed up having to download so much each and every time I do an install.

I do not want the install ISO to be smaller, I want it bigger.

Fill it up for goodness sake.

And why not give us a 8GB install iso, or what about a 25GB, or even 50GB. Some of us do have Bluray drives now.

But really, why it is not the done thing to complain about something free, it is difficult not to in this instance.

And please, let us install from an image on some drive.

Many, many… MANY moons ago when machines were weak and networks were slow,
I’d buy a CDROM tower of maybe 6 or 8 CDROMs and use that as my install source.

Today, I store ISO images on a Network Server and point to that as my install source for all existing and new machines in the network.

If you’re an ISO packrat, you store hundreds of images and various install packages today, no need for any to be larger or smaller than they are.

You can and have always been able to install from an image located anywhere, you just have to know how to mount the source appropriately.

TSU

You don’t get it.

I tend to install it multiple times, as tests and as a final flurry.

This means that those additional packages, I have to download many times.

Not all of us have a fast and free connection.

So, you can make your own local repository, but have you tried going through all 110GB, working out what you want then trying to create that repository so that yast works flawlessly?

Suse, can make things easier, but it seems like the attitude now is to dumb it down and make things difficult.

Come on… they could easily have put an additional 700MB on the disc.

Which probably wouldn’t have been the things you are after.

You could try the Carlos method. I posted about it on my blog Sharing updates with opensuse

I’ve been using that, and it works pretty well.

I suppose it depends on both what was removed and where it is now sourced.

My early evaluation is that the number of Desktops and Window Managers are fewer as default options (You need to enable online sources during installation or add them later after installation has completed). Those are very large patterns if they don’t overlap default options and could easily approach several hundred megabytes, compressed.

So, those who install other Desktops are affected but won’t affect anyone who select KDE/Plasma, Gnome or XFCE.

TSU