Thread: Network Printer - unable to recognize - Failed to get a list of devices: 'Forbidden'

Default Network Printer - unable to recognize - Failed to get a list of devices: 'Forbidden'

Hello all,

Fresh install of Leap 15 KDE. Trying to use the add printer dialogue. On the step "Click to add new printer", it comes back "Failed to get a list of devices: 'Forbidden' ". This step works on Ubuntu and Fedora. Apparently for some reason (after 2 back to back password checks), I am forbidden to have a list of printers on my network.

Is there any work around for this? I'm liking Leap 15 so far but this is kind of a deal-breaker.

Thanks for any advice.

Blog Entries

Default Re: Network Printer - unable to recognize - Failed to get a list of devices: 'Forbidden'

Welcome to openSUSE Forums tehelfnub! Adding a printer requires the user to enter root's credentials. So add username 'root' and root's password when prompted.

Default Re: Network Printer - unable to recognize - Failed to get a list of devices: 'Forbidden'

Thank you for the reply. However, the installer didn't set up a root account during installation, only the user with sudo.

Blog Entries

Sure it does....
    https://en.opensuse.org/SDB:Login_as_root
    In Unix/Linux systems there is a special user for system administration. This is the user with the uid of 0 and the username root. It is also known as 'superuser'. In daily life it is simply called: root.
    You can check this for yourself...
    Code:
    grep root /etc/passwd
    root:x:0:0:root:/root:/bin/bash

Does it use the password I supplied for the user?

Blog Entries

It could possibly be the same as your user password. IIRC, during an install it is possible that the first user name's password can be the same as the administrator password. (I haven't done a clean install for a few years now.)

Blog Entries

Nothing has changed in the LEAP 15 installation.
    During the installation, there is a checkbox (which is enabled by default) that sets the password for your created ordinary User to be the same as root. This is convenient for most Users, but should not be set this way on systems which require better security (eg Production machines, not hobby or personal machines).

TSU
    Beginner Wiki Quickstart - https://en.opensuse.org/User:Tsu2/Quickstart_Wiki
    Solved a problem recently? Create a wiki page for future personal reference!
    Learn something new?
    Attended a computing event?
    Post and Share!