Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: kdesu hangs

Default kdesu hangs

some time in the last 2 weeks or so, KDESU started hanging for me when the root password is supplied. Using the command line su works fine. Used to work fine. Tips on debugging this?

Default Re: kdesu hangs

Quote Originally Posted by incognito9 View Post
    some time in the last 2 weeks or so, KDESU started hanging for me when the root password is supplied. Using the command line su works fine. Used to work fine. Tips on debugging this?
    When run from the command line, when it hangs the output is
    Code:
    kdesu_stub
    where should I be picking up kdesu from?

Updated 5 PCs to openSUSE-15.0 this week.
    On all I had that "kdesu hangs" problem after "zypper dist-upgrade" completed and before reboot.

But on all PC's the problem went away after the post-upgrade reboot. Except one! (it also shows "kdesu_stub" on the shell)

I have the same issue

K then.... I logged out... went to runlevel 3, emptied out /tmp and /var/tmp, rebooted, all is well.

Quote Originally Posted by eliwap View Post
    K then.... I logged out... went to runlevel 3, emptied out /tmp and /var/tmp, rebooted, all is well.

This doesn't work for me. What you need to do is VERY CAREFULLY rm -rf (using a for loop) the .Xauthority files and subdirectories in root.

Make sure you don't remove from / and ONLY DO THIS WITHIN THE .Xauthority DIRECTORY!

This is the result of a permissions problem which can occur while running an X server as root at some time (perhaps during a zypper dup).

Quote Originally Posted by tkandell View Post
    This doesn't work for me. What you need to do is VERY CAREFULLY rm -rf (using a for loop) the .Xauthority files and subdirectories in root.

Make sure you don't remove from / and ONLY DO THIS WITHIN THE .Xauthority DIRECTORY!

This is the result of a permissions problem which can occur while running an X server as root at some time (perhaps during a zypper dup).
    After another system upgrade to Leap 15.0 because KDE didn't start after some recommended "fixes' to get NVIDIA codecs, this "fix", removing the .Xauthority directory in / stopped working as well.
    (This is also after removing all the files in /tmp and /var/temp and rebooting.)

from the command line
    kdesu -c ls

first produces the message:
    No protocol specified

then, upon entering the root password in the dialog:
    kdesu_stub

appears and kdesu hangs.

What to do?
    Last edited by tkandell; 02-Aug-2018 at 18:01. Reason: Forgot additional information

kdesu is used to start GUI programs not command line commands. So not at all sure what you are trying to do?????? I would not expect kdesu to work with ls since ls runs from the command line.

Quote Originally Posted by tkandell View Post

After another system upgrade to Leap 15.0 because KDE didn't start after some recommended "fixes' to get NVIDIA codecs, this "fix", removing the .Xauthority directory in / stopped working as well.
    (This is also after removing all the files in /tmp and /var/temp and rebooting. su works fine.)

Running Yast from the menu which starts kdesu hangs. Trying kdesu from the command line reveals the problem,

from the command line
    kdesu -c ls

first produces the message:
    No protocol specified

then, upon entering the root password in the dialog:
    kdesu_stub

appears and kdesu hangs.

What to do?

Blog Entries

Please show output of
    Code:
    zypper lr -d
    And, gogalthorp is right, kdesu is for starting GUI apps. If I ( on Tw ) invoke
    Code:
    kdesu -c ls
    I get the kdesu window, enter the root password and then ... nothing.

Just checked in my Leap 15 VM, and
    Code:
    kdesu yast2
    works as expected.
    ° Appreciate my reply? Click the star and let me know why.

° Perfection is not gonna happen. No way.

http://en.opensuse.org/User:Knurpht
    http://nl.opensuse.org/Gebruiker:Knurpht

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast