Results 1 to 10 of 10

Thread: gdm.service does not exist

  1. #1

    Default gdm.service does not exist

    Hey everyone,

    Just upgraded from 43.3 to tumbleweed last night and I can no longer use GDM. No matter what method I use it reverts back to SDDM. Trying to do this in command line tells me this:

    Code:
    Failed to enable unit: Unit file gdm.service does not exist.
    But I have gdm installed and I have removed it and installed again with same results. Thanks.

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Location
    Netherlands
    Posts
    29,761

    Default Re: gdm.service does not exist

    Quote Originally Posted by bhrich902 View Post
    Hey everyone,

    Just upgraded from 43.3 to tumbleweed last night and I can no longer use GDM. No matter what method I use it reverts back to SDDM. Trying to do this in command line tells me this:

    Code:
    Failed to enable unit: Unit file gdm.service does not exist.
    But I have gdm installed and I have removed it and installed again with same results. Thanks.
    Please always post the prompt, the command, the output and the next prompt copy/paste one more line above and one more line below, easy enough). Now we have only the output, but we do not know what you did.
    Henk van Velden

  3. #3

    Default Re: gdm.service does not exist

    Quote Originally Posted by hcvv View Post
    Please always post the prompt, the command, the output and the next prompt copy/paste one more line above and one more line below, easy enough). Now we have only the output, but we do not know what you did.
    Code:
    systemctl enable gdm.service
    Failed to enable unit: Unit file gdm.service does not exist.

  4. #4

    Default Re: gdm.service does not exist

    try and select gdm
    Code:
    sudo update-alternatives --config default-displaymanager
    ------------------------------------
    Correct me if I'm wrong .
    ------------------------------------

  5. #5

    Default Re: gdm.service does not exist

    Quote Originally Posted by enziosavio View Post
    try and select gdm
    Code:
    sudo update-alternatives --config default-displaymanager
    That was one of the methods I tried before. I tried it again and it has gdm pre-selected from before, but SDDM still comes upat login, logout or reboot won't change it either.

  6. #6

    Default Re: gdm.service does not exist

    Try adding gdm to your user ?
    ------------------------------------
    Correct me if I'm wrong .
    ------------------------------------

  7. #7
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Location
    Netherlands
    Posts
    29,761

    Default Re: gdm.service does not exist

    Quote Originally Posted by enziosavio View Post
    Try adding gdm to your user ?
    I do not think the display manager runs under another user then root.

    ==============

    Maybe try the update-alternatives method to set it first to sddm and then change back to gdm. It could be that sync is lost during your trials.
    Henk van Velden

  8. #8

    Default Re: gdm.service does not exist

    Quote Originally Posted by hcvv View Post
    I do not think the display manager runs under another user then root.

    ==============

    Maybe try the update-alternatives method to set it first to sddm and then change back to gdm. It could be that sync is lost during your trials.
    The issue seems to be that there's no gdm.service file for systemd to start the service, so I just need a way to recreate the contents of this file and where it should be placed.

  9. #9
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Location
    Podunk
    Posts
    32,325
    Blog Entries
    15

    Default Re: gdm.service does not exist

    Quote Originally Posted by bhrich902 View Post
    The issue seems to be that there's no gdm.service file for systemd to start the service, so I just need a way to recreate the contents of this file and where it should be placed.
    Hi
    There is no gdm.service file in Tumbleweed, it's all done via update-alternatives....

    Code:
    There are 3 choices for the alternative default-displaymanager (providing /usr/lib/X11/displaymanagers/default-displaymanager).
    
      Selection    Path                                  Priority   Status
    ------------------------------------------------------------
    * 0            /usr/lib/X11/displaymanagers/gdm       25        auto mode
      1            /usr/lib/X11/displaymanagers/console   5         manual mode
      2            /usr/lib/X11/displaymanagers/gdm       25        manual mode
      3            /usr/lib/X11/displaymanagers/xdm       10        manual mode
    As you can see, gdm is selected on my Tumbleweed system, then depending on whether using Xorg or Xwayland select your desktop session.
    Cheers Malcolm °¿° SUSE Knowledge Partner (Linux Counter #276890)
    SUSE SLE, openSUSE Leap/Tumbleweed (x86_64) | GNOME DE
    If you find this post helpful and are logged into the web interface,
    please show your appreciation and click on the star below... Thanks!

  10. #10

    Default Re: gdm.service does not exist

    Quote Originally Posted by hcvv View Post
    I do not think the display manager runs under another user then root.

    ==============

    Maybe try the update-alternatives method to set it first to sddm and then change back to gdm. It could be that sync is lost during your trials.
    Quote Originally Posted by malcolmlewis View Post
    Hi
    There is no gdm.service file in Tumbleweed, it's all done via update-alternatives....

    Code:
    There are 3 choices for the alternative default-displaymanager (providing /usr/lib/X11/displaymanagers/default-displaymanager).
    
      Selection    Path                                  Priority   Status
    ------------------------------------------------------------
    * 0            /usr/lib/X11/displaymanagers/gdm       25        auto mode
      1            /usr/lib/X11/displaymanagers/console   5         manual mode
      2            /usr/lib/X11/displaymanagers/gdm       25        manual mode
      3            /usr/lib/X11/displaymanagers/xdm       10        manual mode
    As you can see, gdm is selected on my Tumbleweed system, then depending on whether using Xorg or Xwayland select your desktop session.
    Ok looks like it's working. For some reason reboots where not working, but after shutting down the laptop and starting it up again, it now brings up GDM. Thanks for the suggestions.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •