Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Firefox slow to load

Default Firefox slow to load

Firefox takes about one minute to start. I had same problem in 42.2 and 42.1 as well. I get a message that Firefox seems to be starting/loading slowly but the suggested remedies, removing add-ons etc, do not work! I use Firefox with window also on the same hardware but there it stars/loads quite fast.

PrakashC

Default Re: Firefox slow to load

Quote Originally Posted by PrakashC View Post
    Firefox takes about one minute to start. I had same problem in 42.2 and 42.1 as well. I get a message that Firefox seems to be starting/loading slowly but the suggested remedies, removing add-ons etc, do not work! I use Firefox with window also on the same hardware but there it stars/loads quite fast.

PrakashC
    Try
    Terminal--> firefox --safe-mode

Or try renaming .mozilla in .mozilla-back between hidden files and then restart Firefox so we see
    ------------------------------------
    Correct me if I'm wrong .
    ------------------------------------

Quote Originally Posted by enziosavio View Post
    Try
    Terminal--> firefox --safe-mode
    Does not make any difference. Loads in about 80 secs.

Or try renaming .mozilla in .mozilla-back between hidden files and then restart Firefox so we see
    I am not able to make out which file needs to be renamed and where it usually is located. A little more info would help please.

Thanks

Question Re: Firefox slow to load

Firefox takes about one minute to start.
    Please mention which Firefox version and which Desktop GUI is being used.

With Firefox Quantum ESR 60.0, within the "Help" there's a new item related to information related to the correction of defects, with a button to "clean up" Firefox.
    If that doesn't help then, export your bookmarks (you'll have to re-import them later … ), note all the changes you've made in "about:config", note all the add-ons and plugins you've installed, quit Firefox and ensure that, all the related processes have disappeared. Then:
    • Remove everything in '~/.mozilla/'.
    • Remove everything in '~/.cache/mozilla/'.
    • Restart Firefox and, restore your bookmarks and, reinstall, if needed, the add-ons and plugins you previously had.

Quote Originally Posted by dcurtisfra View Post
    Please mention which Firefox version and which Desktop GUI is being used.

With Firefox Quantum ESR 60.0, within the "Help" there's a new item related to information related to the correction of defects, with a button to "clean up" Firefox.
    If that doesn't help then, export your bookmarks (you'll have to re-import them later … ), note all the changes you've made in "about:config", note all the add-ons and plugins you've installed, quit Firefox and ensure that, all the related processes have disappeared. Then:
    • Remove everything in '~/.mozilla/'.
    • Remove everything in '~/.cache/mozilla/'.
    • Restart Firefox and, restore your bookmarks and, reinstall, if needed, the add-ons and plugins you previously had.
    I normally use KDE Plasma, but problem exists in Gnome also. The Firefox version is 52.8.0 (64 bit).
    I had once earlier followed the steps suggested (same as Firefox suggests) but it made no difference.
    Re version Quantum ESR 60.0 - How do I get it?

I assume, since you looked at the Firefox troubleshooting tips that you have set the homepage to a blank page?
    I don’t have anything to hide, but I don’t have anything I want to show you either.

Could be a DNS problem, though. Try change DNS servers in your network config.
    "Take a Walk on a Sunny Day, Greet everyone along the way, and Make Somebody Smile, Today"
    Gerry Jack Macks"Walk On A Sunny Day" GerryJackMacks.net

Blog Entries

Firefox takes about one minute to start.
    You have not indicated what firefox version you are using.

There was a recent update to 60.0 ESR, from the earlier 52.x ESR. For me, the 52.x firefox was slow loading. The 60.0 firefox is loading more quickly. That's with a blank startup page (in both cases).
    openSUSE Leap 15.3; KDE Plasma 5.18.6;

Blog Entries

One thing that can cause repeated slow FF loading is a user.js file in the profile directory with browser.places.importBookmarksHTML set to true.

Is FF the only thing that is slower than it ought to be? When was this 42.3 installation new? Was it an upgrade rather than fresh? Could something in /var/log/ be bloated due to logrotate not being automatically run periodically?

Is there a shortage of freespace on the /home/ filesystem?
    Reg. Linux User #211409 *** multibooting since 1992
    Primary: 15.3, TW, 15.1 & 13.1 on Haswell
    Secondary: eComStation (OS/2) &15.2 on i965P w/ Radeon
    Tertiary: Debian, Fedora, Mageia, more on Rocket Lake & older Intel, AMD, NVidia &&&&&

Does not make any difference. Loads in about 80 secs. I am not able to make out which file needs to be renamed and where it usually is located. A little more info would help please. Thanks
    Firefox has a nice profile manager. Modify the command in the program starter to read: firefox -P %u You may add a new profile and compare startup times. Startup time with an old profile is 5 seconds. However my machine has 4 physical cores. It starts immediately.
    AMD Athlon 4850e (2009), openSUSE 13.1, KDE 4, Intel i3-4130 (2014), i7-6700K (2016), i5-8250U (2018), AMD Ryzen 5 3400G (2020), openSUSE Tumbleweed, KDE Plasma 5

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast