Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: NetworkManager-wait-online.service dependency error when not utilizing NetworkManager

Default NetworkManager-wait-online.service dependency error when not utilizing NetworkManager

On boot I get a strange dependency info/error.

I am utilizing wicked, not NetworkManager. It is also on a wireless card.

Code:
    kvm:~ # systemctl -l status NetworkManager-wait-online.service
    ● NetworkManager-wait-online.service - Network Manager Wait Online
       Loaded: loaded (/usr/lib/systemd/system/NetworkManager-wait-online.service; disabled; vendor preset: disabled)
       Active: inactive (dead)

May 17 18:35:31 kvm systemd[1]: Dependency failed for Network Manager Wait Online.
    May 17 18:35:31 kvm systemd[1]: NetworkManager-wait-online.service: Job NetworkManager-wait-online.service/start failed with result 'dependency'.
    kvm:~ #
    Here is the service that depends on this according to man systemd-networkd-wait-online.service

Code:
    kvm:~ # systemctl status systemd-networkd.service
    ● systemd-networkd.service - Network Service
       Loaded: loaded (/usr/lib/systemd/system/systemd-networkd.service; disabled; vendor preset: disabled)
         Docs: man:systemd-networkd.service(8)
    kvm:~ #
    And all other NetworkmManager services are disabled:

Code:
    kvm:~ # systemctl status NetworkManager.service
    ● NetworkManager.service - Network Manager
       Loaded: loaded (/usr/lib/systemd/system/NetworkManager.service; disabled; vendor preset: disabled)

May 17 18:35:31 kvm systemd[1]: Network Manager is not active.
    kvm:~ # systemctl status NetworkManager-dispatcher.service 
    ● NetworkManager-dispatcher.service - Network Manager Script Dispatcher Service
       Loaded: loaded (/usr/lib/systemd/system/NetworkManager-dispatcher.service; disabled; vendor preset: disabled)
    I cannot seem to determine any other dependencies on NetworkManager-wait-online.service

Anyone else running wicked seeing this dependency error.
    I don’t have anything to hide, but I don’t have anything I want to show you either.

Blog Entries

Default Re: NetworkManager-wait-online.service dependency error when not utilizing NetworkManager

I have not run into that problem.

Here's my suggestion:
    1. Switch to using NetworkManager
    2. Reboot
    3. Switch back to wicked
    4. Reboot

and hope that the problem goes away.

I have run into a problem in the past where this double switch fixed it. I think something was not quite configured right, and it got fixed by these changes.
    openSUSE Leap 15.1; KDE Plasma 5;
    testing Leap 15.2Alpha

Default Re: NetworkManager-wait-online.service dependency error when not utilizing NetworkManager

Or remove NM?

I use wicked and never install NM at all. I assume that the best way to avoid NM glitches is not to have it.
    Henk van Velden

Smile Re: NetworkManager-wait-online.service dependency error when not utilizing NetworkManager

When "wicked" then, mask "Network Manager" …
    Code:
     > systemctl list-unit-files | grep -i 'NetworkManager'
    NetworkManager-dispatcher.service       masked
    NetworkManager-wait-online.service      masked
    NetworkManager.service                  masked
     >
    This Desktop machine …

BTW, on my laptop I use Network Manager -- WLAN; movement; flight mode …

Quote Originally Posted by dcurtisfra View Post
    When "wicked" then, mask "Network Manager" …
    Code:
     > systemctl list-unit-files | grep -i 'NetworkManager'
    NetworkManager-dispatcher.service       masked
    NetworkManager-wait-online.service      masked
    NetworkManager.service                  masked
     >
    This Desktop machine …

BTW, on my laptop I use Network Manager -- WLAN; movement; flight mode …
    Did you set these to masked, or were they automatically set that way when choosing wicked in YaST?

Mine are all set to disabled.
    I don’t have anything to hide, but I don’t have anything I want to show you either.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by d3vnull View Post
    Mine are all set to disabled.
    For what it is worth:
    Code:
    systemctl list-unit-files | grep -i 'NetworkManager'
    NetworkManager-dispatcher.service          enabled 
    NetworkManager-wait-online.service         disabled
    NetworkManager.service                     disabled
    openSUSE Leap 15.1; KDE Plasma 5;
    testing Leap 15.2Alpha

Thank you for all the suggestions.

So, far I have:

Disabled the openvswitch.service and removed my ifcfg-* files to insure that was not an issue. It wasn't

Switched from wicked to NetworkManager in YaST, rebooted, and made sure the network functioned. Then switched back to wicked in YaST, rebooted, and checked to insure the network was working. I still received the same INFO error when rebooting with wicked.

I enabled the NetworManager-dispatcher.service, and rebooted but this did not resolve the issue.

I understand that removing NetworkManager or masking the services would probably solve the issue. I am just not ready to give-up yet on trying to figure out what my system is doing

Thanks for everyone who is using wicked and confirmed they are not seeing the scenario I am seeing. I can certainly live with the issue since it does not affect boot time. However, I am like a dog with a bone. I will keep chewing on it when I have time, or until I move to version 15

If I find anything I will report back.

I like the comparison with the dog.
    Yes, it is bad for your sleeping when one has such an unresolved irritation.

We will be glad to hear of any explanation.
    Henk van Velden

Quote Originally Posted by d3vnull View Post
    Did you set these to masked, or were they automatically set that way when choosing wicked in YaST?
    I had to set them to "masked" due to this issue …

Quote Originally Posted by dcurtisfra View Post
    I had to set them to "masked" due to this issue …
    Thanks! I now know I am not the only one seeing this. What desktop are you using (gnome, KDE, etc)?

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast