Thread: AppImage running Plex Media Player

Default AppImage running Plex Media Player

Having some problems running Plex Media Player AppImage
    https://knapsu.eu/plex/

I am not sure what caused the problem. I have been running Plex Media Player long without problems.
    Then one day I exit PMP and start it again. Now it will not start the AppImage.

I have done several suggestions I could find when concerning AppImage and permissions.
    Adding group fuse
    Adding my user to group fuse
    Adding my user to group trusted

machine:~ # ll /usr/bin/fusermount
    -rwsr-xr-x 1 root trusted 31560 10.05.2017 01:25:57 /usr/bin/fusermount

I am getting this error when trying to run PMP AppImage.
    Code:
    fuse: failed to open /dev/fuse: Permission denied
    Cannot mount AppImage, please check your FUSE setup.
    You might still be able to extract the contents of this AppImage 
    if you run it with the --appimage-extract option. 
    See https://github.com/AppImage/AppImageKit/wiki/FUSE
    for more information
    open dir error: No such file or directory

Not much has changed on my Linux PC since last I started up PMP. I remembered I had installed Tomcat earlier.
    If I uninstall Tomcat, or --appimage-extract, it will run, but nothing happens (it does not come up).

Running the PMP AppImage as root user will start PMP and it comes up fine, so not sure what the problem with my user is.

Some debugging running AppRun (from the extracted AppImage) with strace I got the following error repeated endlessly.

socket(AF_UNIX, SOCK_STREAM|SOCK_CLOEXEC, 0) = 21
    bind(21, {sa_family=AF_UNIX, sun_path="/tmp/pmp_inputSocket_djviking.sock"}, 110) = -1 EADDRINUSE (Address already in use)
    close(21)
    unlink("/tmp/pmp_inputSocket_djviking.sock") = -1 EPERM (Operation not permitted)
    The person who created this AppImage has no idea what the cause of the problem is.

Does anyone have any idea of suggestions I could try?

Running OpenSUSE Leap 42.3
    KDE Plasma 5.12
    Qt 5.10

Blog Entries

Default Re: AppImage running Plex Media Player

Without more information,
    Your error suggests that whatever change happened on your machine, you now have a conflict, but it's uncertain if what looks like 2 separate errors are in any way related.

The fusermount error suggests
    - The AppImage app might have been deleted, modified possibly over-written.
    You might try downloading and installing the AppImage again if your current is damaged.

I'm not sure what you're doing with an "extracted AppImage," if you're trying to run a new instance then you need to make sure that your original AppImage is not running in anyway, otherwise there may be a resource conflict.

If you think that installing and running Tomcat might have caused your problems, start by making sure that Tomcat is not running (webservers are typically set up to start on boot).

So,
    In a nutshell, the sparse information you posted suggests to me that you may be experiencing multiple, separate problems and both may be related to either conflicts or altogether missing files.
    That's pretty general and needs to be narrowed down which involves basic troubleshooting by inspecting logs.

Also,
    Keep in mind that it's likely that you could have avoided these problems in the first place by running your apps in isolation, preferably using virtualization like Virtualbox. AppImage does some isolation, but apparently not completely enough in your case.

TSU
    Beginner Wiki Quickstart - https://en.opensuse.org/User:Tsu2/Quickstart_Wiki
    Solved a problem recently? Create a wiki page for future personal reference!
    Learn something new?
    Attended a computing event?
    Post and Share!

Quote Originally Posted by tsu2 View Post
    Without more information,
    Your error suggests that whatever change happened on your machine, you now have a conflict, but it's uncertain if what looks like 2 separate errors are in any way related.

The fusermount error suggests
    - The AppImage app might have been deleted, modified possibly over-written.
    You might try downloading and installing the AppImage again if your current is damaged.
    The AppImage file is still there. I have even tried an older AppImage download.

I just now today downloaded a new AppImage build of Plex. Still the same problem.
    djviking 537 98.4 0.2 757624 74612 pts/1 Rl+ 22:23 0:32 /tmp/.mount_Plex_MkXV2ux/usr/bin/plexmediaplayer
    djviking 541 1.1 0.0 22028 2420 ? Ssl 22:23 0:00 ./Plex_Media_Player_2.11.0.867-f27f8d2a_x64.AppImage

I'm not sure what you're doing with an "extracted AppImage," if you're trying to run a new instance then you need to make sure that your original AppImage is not running in anyway, otherwise there may be a resource conflict.
    Plex.AppImage --appimage-extract
    cd squashfs-root
    ./AppRun

No other instances of the AppImage is running.

If you think that installing and running Tomcat might have caused your problems, start by making sure that Tomcat is not running (webservers are typically set up to start on boot).
    Tomcat is not running. Not sure if this is the reason, just not many other changes to my system since the AppImage previously worked.

In a nutshell, the sparse information you posted suggests to me that you may be experiencing multiple, separate problems and both may be related to either conflicts or altogether missing files.
    That's pretty general and needs to be narrowed down which involves basic troubleshooting by inspecting logs.
    I am able to run the AppImage as root without problems.

Is the program in /tmp? If so, /tmp has a sticky bit that maybe the issue.
    I don’t have anything to hide, but I don’t have anything I want to show you either.

Quote Originally Posted by d3vnull View Post
    Is the program in /tmp? If so, /tmp has a sticky bit that maybe the issue.
    The AppImage is mounted in /tmp

But I have tried to not use FUSE
    https://github.com/AppImage/AppImage.../FUSE#fallback
    If you don't want to install FUSE, you can either mount or extract the AppImage.
    ./Plex.AppImage --appimage-extract
    It unpacks the AppImage under squashfs-root

Code:

Code:
    djviking@maching:~/bin/squashfs-root> ll
    totalt 60
    -rwxr-xr-x  1 djviking users  9352 13.05.2018 11:18:05 AppRun
    -rw-r--r--  1 djviking users   203 13.05.2018 11:18:05 plexmediaplayer.desktop
    -rw-r--r--  1 djviking users 40769 13.05.2018 11:18:05 plexmediaplayer.png
    drwx------ 10 djviking users  4096 13.05.2018 11:18:06 usr

Running the AppRun nothing happens.
    Code:

Code:
    djviking@machine:~/bin/squashfs-root> ./AppRun  
    Logging to /home/djviking/.local/share/plexmediaplayer/logs/plexmediaplayer.log

If I run AppRun with strace the output is flooded with
    Code:

Code:
    stat("/etc/localtime", {st_mode=S_IFREG|0644, st_size=2251, ...}) = 0
    futex(0x1c53e9c, FUTEX_WAKE_OP_PRIVATE, 1, 1, 0x1c53e98, FUTEX_OP_SET<<28|0<<12|FUTEX_OP_CMP_GT<<24|0x1) = 1
    futex(0x1c53e70, FUTEX_WAKE_PRIVATE, 1) = 1
    futex(0x1c53700, FUTEX_WAKE_PRIVATE, 1) = 1
    socket(AF_UNIX, SOCK_STREAM|SOCK_CLOEXEC, 0) = 15
    bind(15, {sa_family=AF_UNIX, sun_path="/tmp/pmp_inputSocket_djviking.sock"}, 110) = -1 EADDRINUSE (Address already in use)
    close(15)                               = 0
    unlink("/tmp/pmp_inputSocket_djviking.sock") = -1 EPERM (Operation not permitted)
    bind(15, {sa_family=AF_UNIX, sun_path="/tmp/pmp_inputSocket_djviking.sock"}, 110) = -1 EADDRINUSE (Address already in use)

It seems there is some permission problems.

After writing this I deleted all thew /tmp/pmp_inputSocket* files. Then Plex AppImage started up.
    Looks like that was the solution.