Thread: Login screen does appear, it freezes and then disappear

Unhappy Login screen does appear, it freezes and then disappear

Hi everyone,
    today I turned my computer on as usual, but when the login screen appeared the computer freezed and then the login screen disappeared again, left me with just a cursor. X11 logs shows nothing interasting. Any suggestions?

Thank you for your help

Default Re: Login screen does appear, it freezes and then disappear

Hi,
    are you running KDE on openSUSE?

I had a similar issue a few month back and I seem to remember (and my Bash history as well) that I deleted the ".cache" folder in my home folder.

Regards,
    Thor_Thenhammer

Quote Originally Posted by sijisu View Post
    Hi everyone,
    today I turned my computer on as usual, but when the login screen appeared the computer freezed and then the login screen disappeared again, left me with just a cursor. X11 logs shows nothing interasting. Any suggestions?

Thank you for your help
    Questions like this need more information, such as What Desktop? and What Display Manager?

Although, I suggest you try a different Display Manager, if I can count on what I think I see in my foggy Crystal Ball.
    "Take a Walk on a Sunny Day, Greet everyone along the way, and Make Somebody Smile, Today"
    Gerry Jack Macks"Walk On A Sunny Day" GerryJackMacks.net

Quote Originally Posted by Thor_Thenhammer View Post
    Hi,
    are you running KDE on openSUSE?

I had a similar issue a few month back and I seem to remember (and my Bash history as well) that I deleted the ".cache" folder in my home folder.

Regards,
    Thor_Thenhammer
    Hi,

yes, I'm running KDE Plasma and sddm.

I've already tried that, doesn't help but the frozen login screen appears for a bit longer time.

Thanks for your response,

Sijisu

Quote Originally Posted by Fraser_Bell View Post
    Questions like this need more information, such as What Desktop? and What Display Manager?

Although, I suggest you try a different Display Manager, if I can count on what I think I see in my foggy Crystal Ball.
    Hi,

I'm using KDE Plasma and sddm.

Trying different DM is a good idea, I will try

Thank you for your response,

Sijisu

Question Re: Login screen does appear, it freezes and then disappear

Given KDE Plasma 5 and SDDM, please take a look in the "/tmp/" system directory; the contents of your personal "~/.cache/" have absolutely nothing to do with the «system» SDDM login screen …

SDDM uses two sockets in "/tmp/":
    Code:
     > file /tmp/sddm-*
    /tmp/sddm-:0-BgwwWl:                                socket
    /tmp/sddm-authc920ed8c-1d7a-4773-88f1-96d26294d13f: socket
     >
    Unfortunately, currently, the "sddm-auth" socket isn't properly released when the system is shut down.

Do you have a large number of old, out-of-date, unused "sddm-auth" sockets in the system's "/tmp/" directory?

If that's the case, you can safely delete all of the out-of-date "sddm-auth" sockets; it may be that, there's a "sddm-auth" socket from a previous session which has an ID (the long hexadecimal string with a value such as «920ed8c-1d7a-4773-88f1-96d26294d13f») which is the same as the ID value SDDM wants to use for the system's current session; therefore the SDDM crash …

I currently deal with this issue by placing a cron file in the system "/etc/cron.d/" directory with protections and content as follows:
    Code:
     # ls -l /etc/cron.d/«A file name which is absolutely not interesting»
    -rw------- 1 root root 143 24. Apr 17:18 /etc/cron.d/«A file name which is absolutely not interesting»
     # 
     # cat /etc/cron.d/«A file name which is absolutely not interesting» 
    #
    # No e-Mail
    MAILTO=""
    #
    @reboot root /usr/bin/find /tmp/ -daystart -type s -atime +0 -iname 'sddm-auth*' -ls -exec /usr/bin/unlink '{}' \;
    #
     #