Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: A start job is running... & Secure Boot / MOK

Default A start job is running... & Secure Boot / MOK

Hi,

upon boot I get a
    Code:
    A start job is running for dev-disk-by\x2duuid-9ca59c23\x2d4cd7\x2d592f\x2d50cb09a2669c.device
    I've already checked fstab, but there is no mentioning of any of these numbers.
    this has problably something to do with this: https://forums.opensuse.org/showthre...l-SSD-what-now, since it's happening since I created a BTRFS partition on an external drive. This drive does appears in fstab, but is set to noauto and the UUID does not resemble any of the above mentioned numbers.

After every Kernel update I get a "blue screen" upon boot "SHIM Uefi key management" - I have enabled secure boot. I can just continue booting normally by pressing enter, but there are some options I can chose from "Press any key to perform MOK management" but I don't want to mess up my system.
    What do to? Simply disable secure boot?

Thanks.

Default Re: A start job is running... & Secure Boot / MOK

Quote Originally Posted by SF6 View Post
    After every Kernel update I get a "blue screen" upon boot "SHIM Uefi key management" - I have enabled secure boot. I can just continue booting normally by pressing enter, but there are some options I can chose from "Press any key to perform MOK management" but I don't want to mess up my system.
    What do to? Simply disable secure boot?.
    Hello,

Simply enter your root password. (thank you Malcolm ).

https://forums.opensuse.org/showthre...00#post2864300

Blog Entries

1. upon boot I get a
    Code:
    A start job is running for dev-disk-by\x2duuid-9ca59c23\x2d4cd7\x2d592f\x2d50cb09a2669c.device
    I suggest you check "/etc/default/grub" to see if those numbers show up.

I had a similar situation with a recently installed Leap 15.0 Beta. Booting took a long time, with a 90 second pause with nothing appearing to happen. I managed to find that message. And I found the disk it was trying to access in "/etc/default/grub" (the "resume=" parameter on the default boot command). It had configured for "resume=" a swap partition that happened to be available during install, but is not available during normal running. Once I fixed that, and then regenerated the grub boot menu, it has been booting a lot faster.

2. After every Kernel update I get a "blue screen" upon boot "SHIM Uefi key management" - I have enabled secure boot. I can just continue booting normally by pressing enter, but there are some options I can chose from "Press any key to perform MOK management" but I don't want to mess up my system.
    What do to? Simply disable secure boot?
    Select "Enroll key" (or is it "enroll MoK"), then enter root password when asked for a password. This will cause a new openSUSE key to be enrolled (for checking signatures on kernels). And you won't see this prompt again unless they decide to enroll another key. Yes, it is a bit confusing.
    openSUSE Leap 15.3; KDE Plasma 5.18.6;

Thanks, successfully enrolled the MOK key.

However the start job problem still persists. I can't find any entry in fstab or grub that resembles
    Code:
    dev-disk-by\x2duuid-9ca59c23\x2d4cd7\x2d592f\x2d50cb09a2669c.device

Blog Entries

However the start job problem still persists. I can't find any entry in fstab or grub that resembles
    Code:
    The start job is unrelated to secure-boot.

I would suggest you grep for just the string "9ca59c23" to see if you can identify that disk.
    openSUSE Leap 15.3; KDE Plasma 5.18.6;

...upon boot I get a
    Code:
    If you do (as root in a console)
    Code:
    # dracut --print-cmdline
    will the result contain the above mentioned UUID (9ca59c23...)?

If so, rebuilding your initrd-file with
    Code:
    # dracut -f
    might help.

Regards

susejunky

Code:
    Had this issue too. Fixed it by running "dracut -f".
    AMD Athlon 4850e (2009), openSUSE 13.1, KDE 4, Intel i3-4130 (2014), i7-6700K (2016), i5-8250U (2018), AMD Ryzen 5 3400G (2020), openSUSE Tumbleweed, KDE Plasma 5

Unfortunately dracut -f did not help :-(

Unfortunately dracut -f did not help :-(
    It's easy to miss one step. That happened when I cleaned up the HDD by removing all system partitions and expanding the remaining one. Make sure to switch off secure boot and run all off the following:

- grep UUID /etc/default/grub
    - grep UUID /boot/grub2/grub.cfg
    - dracut -f
    - grub2-install --target=x86_64-efi
    - grub2-mkconfig -o /boot/grub2/grub.cfg

Then shut down the machine and boot from 'opensuse'
    AMD Athlon 4850e (2009), openSUSE 13.1, KDE 4, Intel i3-4130 (2014), i7-6700K (2016), i5-8250U (2018), AMD Ryzen 5 3400G (2020), openSUSE Tumbleweed, KDE Plasma 5

Start out by giving me the output of:
    Code:
    fdisk -l -o +uuid
    Please post the above command and the resulting output here between code tags (the # icon/symbol in the menu above the forum editor window).

Also, (or?) in Yast->Boot Loader under Kernel Parameters make certain that "mysterious" UUID is not the one listed in the "resume=" line
    "Take a Walk on a Sunny Day, Greet everyone along the way, and Make Somebody Smile, Today"
    Gerry Jack Macks"Walk On A Sunny Day" GerryJackMacks.net

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast