System bootOrder not Found. Initializing defulats after a YaST update

Hi,
I installed opensuse tumbleweed on my new Lenova thinkpad T480s. It worked like a charm. Love suse. However, after I did a YaST update, the laptop fails to boot up.
the error is:
System bootOrder not Found. Initializing defulats
creating boot entry “Boot0001” with label "opensuse-secureboot"for file "\EFI\opensuse\shim.efi
creating boot entry “Boot0002” with label "Fedora"for file "\EFI\fedora\shim64.efi
and the system reboots, display the same message, & reboots again.

I can boot up the laptop by putting the installation USB & selecting the boot from hard drive option.

I have reinstalled the OS twice now, and have also done the update install. None seem to solve the issue.
This is a single OS machine. I dont really need to boot to Fedora or any other OS. The Fedora was from a previous install, and am not sure why it still showing up.
I suspect this is UEFI configuration issue but dont know how to fix it. HELP please
Thanks,
Kayvan
------------------------- here are the OS related info: ---------------
Harware:
Lenova thinkpad T480s

----------- /etc/os-release --------------
NAME=“openSUSE Tumbleweed”

VERSION=“20180502”

ID=“opensuse-tumbleweed”
ID_LIKE=“opensuse suse”
VERSION_ID=“20180502”
PRETTY_NAME=“openSUSE Tumbleweed”
ANSI_COLOR=“0;32”
CPE_NAME=“cpe:/o:opensuse:tumbleweed:20180502”
BUG_REPORT_URL=“https://bugs.opensuse.org
HOME_URL=“https://www.opensuse.org/

--------------- sudo efibootmgr -----------
BootCurrent: 001B
Timeout: 0 seconds
BootOrder: 001B,0018,0017,0019,001A,0000,001C,001D,001E,0023
Boot0000* Windows Boot Manager
Boot0010 Setup
Boot0011 Boot Menu
Boot0012 Diagnostic Splash Screen
Boot0013 Lenovo Diagnostics
Boot0014 Startup Interrupt Menu
Boot0015 Rescue and Recovery
Boot0016 MEBx Hot Key
Boot0017* USB CD
Boot0018* USB FDD
Boot0019* NVMe0
Boot001A* ATA HDD0
Boot001B* USB HDD
Boot001C* PCI LAN
Boot001D Other CD
Boot001E Other HDD
Boot001F* USBR BOOT CDROM
Boot0020* USBR BOOT Floppy
Boot0021* ATA HDD
Boot0022* ATAPI CD
Boot0023* PCI LAN

I don’t really know what is happening.

I do have a Lenovo ThinkServer – arouhd 4 years old. And the way it handles UEFI is a bit weird.

In particular, it seems to have a mind of its own. I can set the boot order in opensuse. But when I boot, it goes back to the old boot order. I can delete a UEFI boot entry, but on reboot it is back again.

What I had to do, was go into firmware settings (or BIOS settings), and set the boot order there.

Occasionally, I want to boot in legacy boot mode. So I change to legacy boot mode in BIOS settings. And, later, when I change it back, it has forgotten the defined boot order.

My suggestion would be for you to get into BIOS settings, and see what you can change there.

Good suggestion @nrickert!
As I studied the BIOS Boot options closer I noticed the Falg: “Lock Boot Order”.
I unlock that option, rebooted the system & noticed that BIOS booting option changed to those of efibootmgr -v report, which resolved my booting issue :):slight_smile:
Thanks for your help,
Kayvan

I’m glad that you now have things working.

That will be temporarily, if the OP keeps using YaST. As per documentation only ‘zypper dup’ is supported.

Good point.

Reminder to OP. For Tumbleweed use

zypper dup

for updating.

Because Tumbleweed is a rolling distribution, every update amounts to an upgrade to the next release. And other methods of update are not designed to support this.