Page 1 of 10 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Installed(I think) but I can't get it to boot with windows 10 and 7

U.S Midwest just West of the Mississippi River

Default Installed(I think) but I can't get it to boot with windows 10 and 7

I am looking for help with getting openSUse Leap42.3 booted up and running.
    I went through the NET install via a USB stick, and no problems came up that I am aware of.
    >>There was a NST (the lunux boot info ?? ) folder added to the Windows 10 structure, but according to windows it is empty. Is that because of the format of linux?
    Regardless of what I put in the easyBCD settings, I get a GRUB prompt that I don't know what to do with or if I even should.

So once again I am here looking for help to get this thing so I can boot it up and use it. Sorry, but it will be a 'triple' boot, but I don't think that should be a problem if things are setup right.

Here are the disk and partition breakdowns as shown in easyBCD when I try to get openSuse Leap 42.3 set up to boot along side windows 10 and windows 7.
    I have annotated it to show what is where.
    Drive 0
    Partition 1 (NTFS - 100MB) Win10 System I am sure
    Partition 2 (C:\ as NTFS 315 GB) This is Win10
    Partition 3 (0x27 - 468MB) Probably a recovery partition I haven't deleted
    Partition 4 (D:\ as NTFS - 150GB) This is Win7

Drive 1
    Partition 1 (F:\ as NTFS - 48GB) This is storage and old Win7
    Partition 2 (G:\ as FAT32 - 48GB) ???? DON'T know what is here
    Partition 3 (Swap - 2GB)
    Partition 4 (Linux - 26GB)
    Partition 5 (Linux - 39GB)

Drive 2
    Partition 1 (H:\ as NTFS - 149GB) This is connected to the PC via a PCI card and not direct to the MOBO.
    It is storage.

Default Re: Installed(I think) but I can't get it to boot with windows 10 and 7

This is what shows in easyBCD's list after accepting defaults when adding opensuse to the boot loader. It shows there is something in the NST folder in Win10's file structure.

Default: Windows 10
    Timeout: None
    EasyBCD Boot Device: C:\

Entry #1
    Name: Windows 10
    BCD ID: {current}
    Drive: C:\
    Bootloader Path: \WINDOWS\system32\winload.exe

Entry #2
    Name: Windows 7 64 Premium
    BCD ID: {8a416e3c-fa1f-11e7-895d-00e053161063}
    Drive: D:\
    Bootloader Path: \Windows\system32\winload.exe

Entry #3
    Name: opensuse
    BCD ID: {e99fa582-5227-11e8-89ee-00e053161063}
    Drive: C:\
    Bootloader Path: \NST\AutoNeoGrub0.mbr

Blog Entries

Is your system using UEFI booting? Or is it using legacy booting?

I have not use "EasyBCD". I have use BCDEDIT (successfully). But BCDEDIT is mainly for systems that use legacy booting. That is to say, it is for when both Windows and linux are using legacy booting.
    opensuse Leap 15.0; KDE Plasma 5;
    opensuse tumbleweed; KDE Plasma 5 (test system);

Quote Originally Posted by nrickert View Post
    Is your system using UEFI booting? Or is it using legacy booting?

I have not use "EasyBCD". I have use BCDEDIT (successfully). But BCDEDIT is mainly for systems that use legacy booting. That is to say, it is for when both Windows and linux are using legacy booting.
    Sorry, my bad. It is a BIOS boot system not UEFI. I have tried GRUB 2 and GRUB(Legacy) from the easyBCD linux tab to no good effect to me. I can tell you that what I put in easyBCD shows up in bcdedit when I open it in a CMD window. I don't know how to manipulate bcdedit(yet), that is why I have easyBCD.

The options I have on the easyBCD linux/bsd tab are.
    Grub(Legacy)
    Grub 2
    LiLi/eLiLi
    FreeBSD/PC-BSD
    WUBI
    SysLinux.

I tried SysLinux also and that didn't help either.
    Just can't past that GRUB prompt regardless of how I set it up.

Am considering removing easyBCD to see if somehow Windows and Linux resolve their boot configuration. But am weary of changes right now.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by BillLyte View Post
    Am considering removing easyBCD to see if somehow Windows and Linux resolve their boot configuration. But am weary of changes right now.
    It doesn't work by magic.

My setup (with Windows 7).

I configure linux to boot from a partition. It is either the "/boot" partition or it is the "/" partition.

I then copy the boot code to a file:

Code:
    dd if=/dev/sda5 od=bootsect.linux count=1
    I then copy that file ("bootsect.linux") into the Windows partition (into "C"). And I use BCDEDIT to set Windows to be able to boot from that file. It mostly works. If I tried booting that way at present, it would fail.

The thing is: Whenever the linux system reinstalls the bootloader, I have to recopy the boot sector to that file (repeat that "dd" command). With Leap 42.3, that happens infrequently -- about twice over the last 9 monts. With Tumbleweed it happens very often. With Leap 15.0, it has also been happening often, though I expect that to change when the final release of Leap 15.0 comes out.

I haven't used EasyBCD, but I understand it to be a fronted to BCDEDIT. So there is probably a file somewhere containing the boot sector from a linux partition. And maybe that file needs to be regenerated. At least they problems that you describe suggest that.

See my OP for drive 1. It shows where I put opensuse Linux. At least, where it(they) ended up. Why there are two Linux partitions is baffling to me.
    I thought I was putting it in a partition on drive 1

I don’t know what is on the G:\ fat32 partition, nor why it was left there. To me that should be where Linux resides. Guess I am wrong.

in order for me to do the dd thing, and then copy to windows, I need Linux running, right?
    it is there somewhere, just a matter of finding it and adding it to bcd so it will show in and boot from the boot options.

default install uses 3 partition root (/) home (/home) and swap. Unless you take control and change things you will have 3 partitions

Blog Entries

See my OP for drive 1. It shows where I put opensuse Linux.
    Yes, it shows where you put linux. But it doesn't show how you set linux to boot.

I'm guessing that you set linux to boot from the MBR.

You should be able to boot linux by setting the BIOS to boot from disk 1.

On some computers, you can set that at boot time. You hit a particular (it's F12 on Dell computers), and that gives you a boot menu. If you are able to boot Leap 42.3 that way, then it is probably the easiest way for you to do it. And using the Windows Boot manager may complicate things.

If, on the other hand, you can only do this by making semi-permanent BIOS settings changes, then I can see why you would want to use Windows Boot Manager.

Start by finding out how to boot your linux system. If necessary, make those BIOS changes to the boot order, so that you can boot Leap 42.3. Because you will need to boot into it to make changes.

Assuming that you still want to use Windows Boot Manager, here's the issue:

Booting is done via the BIOS. If you are using Windows Boot Manager, then disk 0 is being initially booted by the BIOS. So grub2 needs to know that the disk order is disk0 first, and disk1 second. The chances are that, since you installed to disk1, the installer set the boot disk order to disk1 first and disk0 second. You would need to change that (which can be done with Yast bootloader).

As far as I know, using Windows Boot Manager requires that you configured your system to boot from a partition, and not from the MBR. I think you configured to boot from the MBR. So you probably need to change that.

Here's the problem for you: you need to set it to boot from a partition, and you need to set it have disk1 first in boot order. Once you have made those changes, you won't be able to boot it by setting the boot order in the BIOS. So unless you get Windows Boot Manager working, you will be stuck.

Hmm, you might want to experiment with the supergrub-CD. You can probably use that to boot your system.

Is this possibly why it won't boot as it should?

1. Put the Linux stick in the slot, and start the installation normally.
    2. When prompted to set up the bootloader, make sure you specify to install LILO, GRUB, or whatever to the bootsector of the partition that Linux is being installed to and not the MBR of your hard drive.
    3. Finish the Linux installation, take the USB stick, and reboot.

I didn't pay attention during the install, and I think(?) it is related to something you stated in another post above(the dd thing).
    Maybe I should reformat that partition, and do the install again, this time paying attention to see if there is the option as to where to put the bootloader instead of accepting the defaults.

I kind of get what you are saying in your last post, but it is still a lot confusing to me. Something I will need to read several times to fully understand

>> That Supergrub -CD thing I will look at real close!

Is this possibly why it won't boot as it should?

1. Put the Linux stick in the slot, and start the installation normally.
    2. When prompted to set up the bootloader, make sure you specify to install LILO, GRUB, or whatever to the bootsector of the partition that Linux is being installed to and not the MBR of your hard drive.
    3. Finish the Linux installation, take the USB stick, and reboot.

I didn't pay attention during the install, and I think(?) it is related to something you stated in another post above(the dd thing).
    Maybe I should reformat that partition, and do the install again, this time paying attention to see if there is the option as to where to put the bootloader instead of accepting the defaults.

I kind of get what you are saying in your last post, but it is still a lot confusing to me. Something I will need to read several times to fully understand

>> That Supergrub -CD thing I will look at real close!
    Depends if you are installing MBR or EFI boot. All OS's MUST use the same boot method or it won't work well.

The installer must be booted in the boot mode you want the end install to boot in.

The above instruction seem to be for an MBR boot which is fine if all other OS's use MBR.

Page 1 of 10 123 ... LastLast