Installed(I think) but I can't get it to boot with windows 10 and 7

I am looking for help with getting openSUse Leap42.3 booted up and running.
I went through the NET install via a USB stick, and no problems came up that I am aware of.
>>There was a NST (the lunux boot info ?? ) folder added to the Windows 10 structure, but according to windows it is empty. Is that because of the format of linux?
Regardless of what I put in the easyBCD settings, I get a GRUB prompt that I don’t know what to do with or if I even should.

So once again I am here looking for help to get this thing so I can boot it up and use it. Sorry, but it will be a ‘triple’ boot, but I don’t think that should be a problem if things are setup right.

Here are the disk and partition breakdowns as shown in easyBCD when I try to get openSuse Leap 42.3 set up to boot along side windows 10 and windows 7.
I have annotated it to show what is where.
Drive 0
Partition 1 (NTFS - 100MB) Win10 System I am sure
Partition 2 (C:\ as NTFS 315 GB) This is Win10
Partition 3 (0x27 - 468MB) Probably a recovery partition I haven’t deleted
Partition 4 (D:\ as NTFS - 150GB) This is Win7

Drive 1
Partition 1 (F:\ as NTFS - 48GB) This is storage and old Win7
Partition 2 (G:\ as FAT32 - 48GB) ??? DON’T know what is here
Partition 3 (Swap - 2GB)
Partition 4 (Linux - 26GB)
Partition 5 (Linux - 39GB)

Drive 2
Partition 1 (H:\ as NTFS - 149GB) This is connected to the PC via a PCI card and not direct to the MOBO.
It is storage.

This is what shows in easyBCD’s list after accepting defaults when adding opensuse to the boot loader. It shows there is something in the NST folder in Win10’s file structure.

Default: Windows 10
Timeout: None
EasyBCD Boot Device: C:\

Entry #1
Name: Windows 10
BCD ID: {current}
Drive: C:
Bootloader Path: \WINDOWS\system32\winload.exe

Entry #2
Name: Windows 7 64 Premium
BCD ID: {8a416e3c-fa1f-11e7-895d-00e053161063}
Drive: D:
Bootloader Path: \Windows\system32\winload.exe

Entry #3
Name: opensuse
BCD ID: {e99fa582-5227-11e8-89ee-00e053161063}
Drive: C:
Bootloader Path: \NST\AutoNeoGrub0.mbr

Is your system using UEFI booting? Or is it using legacy booting?

I have not use “EasyBCD”. I have use BCDEDIT (successfully). But BCDEDIT is mainly for systems that use legacy booting. That is to say, it is for when both Windows and linux are using legacy booting.

Sorry, my bad. It is a BIOS boot system not UEFI. I have tried GRUB 2 and GRUB(Legacy) from the easyBCD linux tab to no good effect to me. I can tell you that what I put in easyBCD shows up in bcdedit when I open it in a CMD window. I don’t know how to manipulate bcdedit(yet), that is why I have easyBCD.

The options I have on the easyBCD linux/bsd tab are.
Grub(Legacy)
Grub 2
LiLi/eLiLi
FreeBSD/PC-BSD
WUBI
SysLinux.

I tried SysLinux also and that didn’t help either.
Just can’t past that GRUB prompt regardless of how I set it up.

Am considering removing easyBCD to see if somehow Windows and Linux resolve their boot configuration. But am weary of changes right now.

It doesn’t work by magic.

My setup (with Windows 7).

I configure linux to boot from a partition. It is either the “/boot” partition or it is the “/” partition.

I then copy the boot code to a file:

dd if=/dev/sda5 od=bootsect.linux count=1

I then copy that file (“bootsect.linux”) into the Windows partition (into "C:"). And I use BCDEDIT to set Windows to be able to boot from that file. It mostly works. If I tried booting that way at present, it would fail.

The thing is: Whenever the linux system reinstalls the bootloader, I have to recopy the boot sector to that file (repeat that “dd” command). With Leap 42.3, that happens infrequently – about twice over the last 9 monts. With Tumbleweed it happens very often. With Leap 15.0, it has also been happening often, though I expect that to change when the final release of Leap 15.0 comes out.

I haven’t used EasyBCD, but I understand it to be a fronted to BCDEDIT. So there is probably a file somewhere containing the boot sector from a linux partition. And maybe that file needs to be regenerated. At least they problems that you describe suggest that.

See my OP for drive 1. It shows where I put opensuse Linux. At least, where it(they) ended up. Why there are two Linux partitions is baffling to me.
I thought I was putting it in a partition on drive 1

I don’t know what is on the G:\ fat32 partition, nor why it was left there. To me that should be where Linux resides. Guess I am wrong.

in order for me to do the dd thing, and then copy to windows, I need Linux running, right?
it is there somewhere, just a matter of finding it and adding it to bcd so it will show in and boot from the boot options.

default install uses 3 partition root (/) home (/home) and swap. Unless you take control and change things you will have 3 partitions

Yes, it shows where you put linux. But it doesn’t show how you set linux to boot.

I’m guessing that you set linux to boot from the MBR.

You should be able to boot linux by setting the BIOS to boot from disk 1.

On some computers, you can set that at boot time. You hit a particular (it’s F12 on Dell computers), and that gives you a boot menu. If you are able to boot Leap 42.3 that way, then it is probably the easiest way for you to do it. And using the Windows Boot manager may complicate things.

If, on the other hand, you can only do this by making semi-permanent BIOS settings changes, then I can see why you would want to use Windows Boot Manager.

Start by finding out how to boot your linux system. If necessary, make those BIOS changes to the boot order, so that you can boot Leap 42.3. Because you will need to boot into it to make changes.

Assuming that you still want to use Windows Boot Manager, here’s the issue:

Booting is done via the BIOS. If you are using Windows Boot Manager, then disk 0 is being initially booted by the BIOS. So grub2 needs to know that the disk order is disk0 first, and disk1 second. The chances are that, since you installed to disk1, the installer set the boot disk order to disk1 first and disk0 second. You would need to change that (which can be done with Yast bootloader).

As far as I know, using Windows Boot Manager requires that you configured your system to boot from a partition, and not from the MBR. I think you configured to boot from the MBR. So you probably need to change that.

Here’s the problem for you: you need to set it to boot from a partition, and you need to set it have disk1 first in boot order. Once you have made those changes, you won’t be able to boot it by setting the boot order in the BIOS. So unless you get Windows Boot Manager working, you will be stuck.

Hmm, you might want to experiment with the supergrub-CD. You can probably use that to boot your system.

Is this possibly why it won’t boot as it should?

1. Put the Linux stick in the slot, and start the installation normally.
  2. When prompted to set up the bootloader, make sure you specify to install LILO, GRUB, or whatever to the bootsector
    of the partition that Linux is being installed to and not the MBR of your hard drive. 1. Finish the Linux installation, take the USB stick, and reboot.

I didn’t pay attention during the install, and I think(?) it is related to something you stated in another post above(the dd thing).
Maybe I should reformat that partition, and do the install again, this time paying attention to see if there is the option as to where to put the bootloader instead of accepting the defaults.

I kind of get what you are saying in your last post, but it is still a lot confusing to me. Something I will need to read several times to fully understand

>> That Supergrub -CD thing I will look at real close!

Depends if you are installing MBR or EFI boot. All OS’s MUST use the same boot method or it won’t work well.

The installer must be booted in the boot mode you want the end install to boot in.

The above instruction seem to be for an MBR boot which is fine if all other OS’s use MBR.

OK BIOS shows 2 HDD’s,
an integrated SATA,
and a Western Digital 160G HDD<This is actually on the SCSI card.
(I have three HDD’s total installed.(see more below).

BIOS does not show both of my SATA drives, and I think it may be due to how the cables are connected to the MOBO connectors.
So at this time I don’t have the ability to put the Linux drive in the chain first in the BIOS.

Windows shows HDD’s as follows:
ST 500 NMH011 ATA as disk 0
ST3 160GB ATA as disk 1 <<<< this is where I put Leap 42.3 and is NOT shown in the BIOS
WDC WD 160 SCSI as Disk 2

Windows knows how many HDD’s I have but the machine(BIOS) does not!

As indicated I may potentially have more than one problem, outside of an old man’s feeble brain.
Time to step back, do some research, and get things in order, before I go much farther.
Eventually I want to be able to pick my OS from a boot menu.

Thank you both for your responses and help. Lots to think about AGAIN!
Bill L

That’s likely part of your problem.

In all honesty, the easiest solution would be to have a small linux partition on drive 0, and configure that as “/boot”. It would make everything easier. You would at least be booting from a disk that the BIOS recognizes.

I changed disk configuration in the sata ports on the mobo, and the drive I am installing it on is in the chain now and the bios shows it in its configuration settings, and the BIOS recognizes all HDD’s, in the order it should.

I guess I am a glutton for frustration, because I reformatted the disk partition I want it in, and made sure that partition was 1st on the HDD, and reinstalled Leap.

I followed the opensuse installation outline here (http://www.opensuse-guide.org/installation.php), and made sure it put the bootcode in \ similar to but not the same as one of the images toward the bottom showing the install parameters.
Just anotheboot into a GRUB prompt that does nothing for me.

Looks to to me like opensuse is saying if Windows is on first, then install Leap, it will find the Windows boot info and incorporate it in the boot process(see section 4.1.4). Appears there is a lot left out on that installation guide if I am having this much trouble.

About to give up folks! I have other versions that I can run from a live USB(which I have never been able to do with an opensuse ‘live’ version). May be stuck with that for a while, or try to put Leap in a VirtualBox.

It it should have been easier than what I have experienced this past week or so according to the openSuse guide.
guess not!
Thanks again for all your help, and trying to get my head wrapped in the right direction.
Bill L

Most people do not have this much trouble.

There should be a file “/boot/grub2/device.map”. What’s in that file?

(It should list the disk order. And that needs to match the disk order as seen by the BIOS).

Where would that file be? I look everywhere, and couldn’t find it, and if it needs linux to see it, I don’t have linux running yet.

You folks gotta remember I am not as conversant as you’ll are with linux. Been a long time since I Used Suse and HP-UX so my abilities are not longer at the ready.

So, I am starting all over again, this time formatting the partition to ext3 instead of fat32.

Got it running in a VM, but that is really disappointing. Won’t keep that around long. Takes for ever to do anything, and I gave it a lot of memory.

Disk order according to Windows and another disk management app both show the HDD I am trying to put it on as 0(zero) now, with the Windows drive as 1(2 partitions, 10 and 7), then my SCSI storage HDD.

Forgot! I Have to RE-write the iso to the USB! for some reason openSuse will not let me use the stick twice, and that goes for the live opensuse versions I tried. Mint, Chalot, and one of the ‘buntu’ live versions all have worked multiple time. Me = stumped!

IF I can’t get it running this time, I guess the opensuse linux gods are not on my side. Will be time to give it up

It works fine for me. I rewrite the same USB each time. I’ve never had a problem with it.

When I plug in that USB with the openSUSE installer, it doesn’t show up in the device notifier of KDE. But it is still there. I check with

ls -ltr /dev/sd?

And since the device is there, I can write a new iso to it.

I did another complete install withe the 0(zero) having 2 partitions. Partition 1 was formatted ext3, and partition 2 NTFS as a small storage area.
My concern now is where the bootcode is going.
If I look at the the install link I posted above(http://www.opensuse-guide.org/installation.php), the 6th photo down shows the Grub2 booting settings.

Under change location is shows that the MBR is where the bootcode is to go.
I thought it was suppose to go to “/” so I made that change.
So my setting was DO NOT install bootcode into MBR, and INSTALL bootcode into “/” partition.

I think but can’t prove the bootcode may be going about the 1024 mark in the zero HDD. Not sure!

anyway easyBCD shows the following for the zero drive:
Partition 1 (G:\ as NTSF) BUT this partition is actually at the back of the disk accoring to Windows and another partition manager.
Partition 2 (Swap - 2GB) is this “/” ?
Partition 3 (Linux - 39GB) Home or swap ??
Partition 4 (Linux - 50GB) Home or swap ??

Again, I think it goes to where the bootcode is being written when I set it to put it in “/” (See that 6th photo in the install link above).

nrickert, It is there, it is just a matter of ME being able to find it or get the bootcode in the proper place.

>>Can I create a /boot partition PRIOR to the install using a partition manager? after it is formatted?

I am still confused about that BOOTING section as shown in the 6th photo in openSuse install link.

Sorry don’t mean to ramble.

I did another complete install with the 0(zero) having 2 partitions. Partition 1 was formatted ext3, and partition 2 NTFS as a small storage area.
My concern now is where the bootcode is going. drive 0(zero) or somewhere in the Windows 10 partition.
If I look at the the install link I posted above(http://www.opensuse-guide.org/installation.php), the 6th photo down shows the Grub2 booting settings.

Under change location is shows that the MBR is where the bootcode is to go.
I thought it was suppose to go to “/” so I made that change.
So my setting was DO NOT install bootcode into MBR, and INSTALL bootcode into “/” partition.

I think but can’t prove the bootcode may be going about the 1024 mark in the zero HDD. Not sure!

anyway easyBCD shows the following for the zero drive:
Partition 1 (G:\ as NTSF) BUT this partition is actually at the back of the disk accoring to Windows and another partition manager.
Partition 2 (Swap - 2GB) is this “/” ?
Partition 3 (Linux - 39GB) Home or swap ??
Partition 4 (Linux - 50GB) Home or swap ??

Again, I think it goes to where the bootcode is being written when I set it to put it in “/” (See that 6th photo in the install link above).

nrickert, It is there, it is just a matter of ME being able to find it or get the bootcode in the proper place.

>>Can I create a /boot partition PRIOR to the install using a partition manager? after it is formatted?

I am still confused about that BOOTING section as shown in the 6th photo in openSuse install link.

You never did answer where I look for “/boot/grub2/device.map” mention in one of your posts.

Sorry don’t mean to ramble.

I am guessing. Partition 3 is probably “/” and partition 4 is probably “/home”.

If you used “btrfs” for the root file system (that’s the default), then I’m not at all sure EasyBCD knows how to handle that.