Thread: Constant disk corruption

Default Constant disk corruption

Since I switched to OpenSUSE a few weeks ago I've been having issue after issue. It started with a KDE freeze issue that seems to have no resolution I could find. Now the one I'm trying to tackle is that my disk keeps becoming unbootable after a while. I get 2 main errors
    Code:
    nvme 0000:01:00.0: AMD-VI: Event logged [IO_PAGE_FAULT domain=0x00e address=0x0000000000000000 flags=0x0000]
    and
    Code:
    bdev /dev/nvme0n1p errs: wr0, rd 5, flush 0, corrupt 0, gen0
    normally at this point I just reinstall but I'm tired of doing so.

Any help would be greatly appreciated

Default Re: Constant disk corruption

I found thishttps://lime-technology.com/forums/t...rrupt-0-gen-0/, you can try to change the cable as suggested in the post
    Or wait for other suggestions
    ------------------------------------
    Correct me if I'm wrong .
    ------------------------------------

Exactly what is the device???

It appears to be a SSD on a card. (nvme)

Maybe try EXT4

Yes, it is an NVME drive. Specifically a Samsung Evo 950 or 960 M.2.
    I'm thinking I'll just reinstall with EXT4 and see if that fixes my issues with my drive.

If ext4 doesn't resolve the issue, have a look at system ram stability. Computer flakiness can be a real pain to root cause.

Obviously, it is not cable, with nvme drive.

I am not sure what is your computer:
    I would suggest:
    • check for BIOS updates
      Many had similar issue with old BIOS
    • Check board/laptop manual - maybe - you cannot use some SATA ports when using NVME and if you do, that might be problem
    • Check bios settings + google your board + nvme issues ..... perhaps you need to enable/disable something

I would not suspect RAM issues at first + you can run RAM memory test either from some bioses or from live distribution such as knoppix, perhaps also opensuse

-T

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by tkuchta View Post
    I would not suspect RAM issues at first + you can run RAM memory test either from some bioses or from live distribution such as knoppix, perhaps also opensuse

-T
    I would not suspect RAM either. No need for a live distro, you can install memtest86+ on any openSUSE system. It will add a GRUB menu entry.
    ° Appreciate my reply? Click the star and let me know why.

° Perfection is not gonna happen. No way.

http://en.opensuse.org/User:Knurpht
    http://nl.opensuse.org/Gebruiker:Knurpht

Quote Originally Posted by werl View Post
    Yes, it is an NVME drive. Specifically a Samsung Evo 950 or 960 M.2.
    I'm thinking I'll just reinstall with EXT4 and see if that fixes my issues with my drive.
    I am running Tumbleweed with ext4 on the machine displayed in the signature (950 Pro) since 2 years/6,000 hours without ever experiencing problems. There is no cable involved. But even contacts can be flaky. This happened when moving RAM on the smaller machine. Removing and inserting the drive several times may fix this type of problem.
    AMD Athlon 4850e (2009), openSUSE 13.1, KDE 4, Intel i3-4130 (2014), i7-6700K (2016), i5-8250U (2018), AMD Ryzen 5 3400G (2020), openSUSE Tumbleweed, KDE Plasma 5

Exclamation Re: Constant disk corruption

Quote Originally Posted by karlmistelberger View Post
    But even contacts can be flaky. This happened when moving RAM on the smaller machine. Removing and inserting the drive several times may fix this type of problem.
    @werl:
    ALL electrical contacts on modern computing systems are small and vulnerable to dust, dirt and moisture.

I suggest that, you invest in an aerosol dry air can and an aerosol contact cleaner can to deal with the slot where the drive is plugged in -- after you've thoroughly cleaned the inside of the machine's case.

Please be aware that, a vacuum cleaner can be used to perform the major part of the cleaning of the case's interior but, with caution -- reduce the suction power of the vacuum cleaner if possible or, ideally, purchase a vacuum cleaner especially suited for computer maintenance.

Please, do not use an industrial compressed air line to clean anything within the machine's case -- the compressed air in typical industrial and/or workshop lines has much to much pressure for the job at hand and, often that compressed air is neither dry nor oil-free nor clean …