Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Changing Desktop Layout Causes Plasma Crash

Question Changing Desktop Layout Causes Plasma Crash

Hello,

I'm running SUSE for the first time and I've done pretty well getting things going including my Nvidia drivers, color management, Fancontrol and sensors etc. I like YaST and things have different names than I'm used to, but I'm figuring it out. I've ran into a problem with switching from "Folder View" to "Desktop Containment". After clicking Apply to apply the layout changes I have a black screen with a pointer and Conky. It appears that Plasma is dead and I can't get it to restart from a ctrl+alt F2 console and none of the Plasma hotkeys work.

I've been running Linux/KDE for years. I was running Mageia 5 with KDE 4 and am pretty familiar with things, but Plasma 5 and SUSE are both new to me. I'm running a fully updated Tumbleweed and everything seems to be working except changing Plasma desktop layout. I don't know where to look for Plasma errors etc. I might not have something installed, I'm not sure, but when switching back to Folder View it crashes again and I have to ctrl+alt backspace to get back out of it again. I don't think I've configured anything that would be causing this. Any help would be appreciated.

Blog Entries

Default Re: Changing Desktop Layout Causes Plasma Crash

I don't think I have had that happen. I do remember it happening with KDE4.

The thing is, that I make those changes once, and never again until I want to rebuild the desktop configuration. So I might not remember whether I had to logout and login again after changing the layout.

However, you seem to be having more frequent problems. It might be related to support for your graphics card. (I have Intel graphics).
    openSUSE Leap 15.1; KDE Plasma 5;
    testing Leap 15.2Alpha

Thanks for the reply. It does it every time and I don't know where to look for clues and I'm not sure I'm trying to restart it properly. It hit ctrl+alt+F2 and get a console.

I read to do:

Code:
    killall plasma-desktop

and
    Code:
    kstart plasma-desktop

When I kill everything it says nothing is running and I forgot exactly what kstart said but it was no screen available I believe, but I do have a pointer. There is no way to copy it so I'll have to take a better look at it. It didn't hint at where to look, like a missing file or anything, always nice when it does.

I switched layout to hide the icons and take a screenshot and that's how I found the problem. I was going to send a screenshot to a friend who is also switching to Tumbleweed. There is a few of us switching at the same time.

Thanks again and I will report the cause if I find it. I'm thinking Conky or icon previews or something. It does affect it whether you're switching to Desktop Containment or to Folder View. It seems to me that it's in the switching, not the content of any particular layout, but maybe Conky is the cause.

Ok, I found out a lot on that trip to the dark side!

It does switch layouts and when switching to the Folder View layout you see it for a second before it disappears. I was able to bring up krunner with alt+F2 and open consoles etc. I ran some commands to restart Plasma and was able to open Kate and save the output.

As root:
    Code:
    # killall plasma-desktop
    plasma-desktop: no process found
    # killall plasmashell
    plasmashell: no process found
    # kstart plasma-desktop
    kstart(12612) main: Omitting both --window and --windowclass arguments is not recommended
    As normal user:
    Code:
    # plasmashell
    QStandardPaths: wrong ownership on runtime directory /run/user/1000, 1000 instead of 0
    QStandardPaths: wrong ownership on runtime directory /run/user/1000, 1000 instead of 0
    "Session bus not found\nTo circumvent this problem try the following command (with Linux and bash)\nexport $(dbus-launch)"
    Code:
    # kstart plasma-desktop
    kstart(11605) main: Omitting both --window and --windowclass arguments is not recommended
    Code:
    kstart plasmashell
    No protocol specified
    No protocol specified
    kstart: cannot connect to X server :0

# kstart plasma-desktop
    No protocol specified
    No protocol specified
    kstart: cannot connect to X server :0

Code:
    # plasmashell
    No protocol specified
    No protocol specified
    qt.qpa.screen: QXcbConnection: Could not connect to display :0
    Could not connect to any X display.
    Throughout all of this I could use the keyboard to rotate the cube and it had a top and bottom, but no sides. Also, when I left Conky running, it was visible so X is running. It tells me no Plasma processes are running but will not start a new one. This all makes it appear that when it changes layout that it does change it and I do see it but then it crashes after the layout change and restart of Plasma. I am assuming the layout change includes stopping Plasma, making changes, and restarting it, then Plasma crashes. The really odd thing is that you can use any layout because when you kill everything and log back in, the layout works fine. It only crashes when you change the layout. I sure appreciate any help and hope this provides more clues. Thanks again.

I'm going to look up how to force reinstall of certain packages without removing them. I used to do it with "urpmi --replacepkgs packagename" and I'm not sure how it works in SUSE. It seldom worked but it did sometimes.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by jsmith64 View Post
    It only crashes when you change the layout.
    The obvious work around, is to avoid changing the layout

Have you tried using Activities? I have two activities defined. The one that I mainly use is configured for the "Desktop Containment" layout. My other activity is configured for "Folder View". Switching between the two activities does not seem to cause problems.
    openSUSE Leap 15.1; KDE Plasma 5;
    testing Leap 15.2Alpha

Blog Entries

I've seen these phenomena reported before. In a number of cases the wrong update technique was used, i.e. the plasma updater applet, or 'zypper up'. Tumbleweed's only supported update mechanism is through 'zypper dup'. If you have not used 'zypper dup', first run this command and see if things improve.
    ° Appreciate my reply? Click the star and let me know why.

° Perfection is not gonna happen. No way.

https://en.opensuse.org/openSUSE:Board#Members
    http://en.opensuse.org/User:Knurpht
    http://nl.opensuse.org/Gebruiker:Knurpht

As normal user:
    Code:
    # plasmashell
    "Session bus not found\nTo circumvent this problem try the following command (with Linux and bash)\nexport $(dbus-launch)"
    Looks like you are trying to run plasmashell as root.
    Don't!
    It needs to be run as the logged in user.

Regarding the crash, I think I saw a fix for a crash when changing the layout flying by, but I'm not sure at the moment if it is in 5.12.5 already that got released yesterday.

Thank you everyone. I found a bug report about this issue and it has been fixed but we haven't received it yet.
    I assumed I had a problem that was my fault and yes, I was updating wrong. I didn't know you couldn't use the update icon in the panel.
    For now I did as nrickert suggested and made an activity with a different layout and that works.

Here's the bug report I found.

https://phabricator.kde.org/D12064

Here's the bug report I found.

https://phabricator.kde.org/D12064
    Ah yes.
    That's in plasma-framework, not Plasma itself.
    Will be part of KDE Frameworks 5.46.0 then, to be released on May 12th.

I'll add a patch to the openSUSE package though so that you get it earlier, would probably good to still get it into Leap 15.0 I think.

PS, you can try the plasma-framework* packages from here and see if the fix works for you:
    https://download.opensuse.org/reposi...SE_Tumbleweed/

I somehow cannot get Plasma to crash in the first place...

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast