Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Latest Update Kills Cinnamon

Default Latest Update Kills Cinnamon

I applied the latest updates about 20 minutes ago and now my Cinnamon desktop is dead; can't even login with Software Rendering. I tried rebooting to the previous kernel, but that didn't help. Any suggestions???

Default Re: Latest Update Kills Cinnamon

Try Icewm on login, if it works, it's a problem with the video card drivers.
    If it does not work, it is likely that it is the Login Manager
    ------------------------------------
    Correct me if I'm wrong .

Quote Originally Posted by enziosavio View Post
    Try Icewm on login, if it works, it's a problem with the video card drivers.
    If it does not work, it is likely that it is the Login Manager
    I thought that the patched Nvidia drivers would work with any 4.16 kernel; they worked great with the 4.16.3 version I installed a few days ago.

If you tried to reboot with previous kernel and did not worked, I think that is not an nvidia issue. Because the old kernel with the same nvidia driver it works before the update.
    Some logs please.

I use KDE on my desktop, and Cinnamon in a VNC server. Cinnamon is dead and not working. It's not video card drivers. I can use icewm in the mean time, I just need to be able to launch konsole / thunderbird / firefox remotely in the VNC session. In fact, I might just switch the vnc session to icewm, it seems a lot lighter weight. But here's the Cinnamon failure:

(cinnamon:3497): Cjs-WARNING **: 13:21:58.685: JS ERROR: TypeError: Main.panelManager is null
    getAppletDefinition @ /usr/share/cinnamon/js/ui/appletManager.js:111:13
    getEnabledAppletDefinitions @ /usr/share/cinnamon/js/ui/appletManager.js:90:32
    init @ /usr/share/cinnamon/js/ui/appletManager.js:45:32
    start @ /usr/share/cinnamon/js/ui/main.js:493:5
    @ <main>:1:31
    Cinnamon warning: Log level 32: Execution of main.js threw exception: JS_EvaluateScript() failed

I thought I was going crazy; glad to see someone else having the same problem! I just got done rebuilding my system with Fedora 28 and Cinnamon crashes there as well. I even tried loading the latest Nvidia beta drivers. MATE & Gnome work as advertised (on both systems). Guess I'll be reloading Tumbleweed and installing MATE until this problem is fixed.

I did a little debugging. panelManager exists, but it doesn't seem accessible via Main.panelManager in the subfunction that was called, and I don't know enough about javascript scoping to comment about that.

I see that there is a Repo X11: Cinnamon: Current for Tumbleweed that has packages more advanced than those of the Official Repos, you can try with that https://download.opensuse.org/reposi...SE_Tumbleweed/
    Correct me if I'm wrong .

In /usr/share/cinnamon/js/ui/main.js, if I change "let panelManager = null;" to "var panelManager = null;" then Cinnamon starts up.

Quote Originally Posted by enziosavio View Post
    I see that there is a Repo X11: Cinnamon: Current for Tumbleweed that has packages more advanced than those of the Official Repos, you can try with that https://download.opensuse.org/reposi...SE_Tumbleweed/
    Didn't help. I find it hard to believe that the maintainers of this project would push something out that crashes on multiple platforms.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast