Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: openvswitch loses configuration on reboot

Default openvswitch loses configuration on reboot

I hope this isn't a double post. I can't seem to find my original.

I followed these instructions with minor modifications:

https://en.opensuse.org/Portal:Wicked/OpenvSwitch

Here are my steps:

Created my bridge and my ports:
    ovs-vsctl add-br ovsbr0
    for i in {0..24}
    do
    ovs-vsctl add-port ovsbr0 port${i} -- set Interface port${i} type=internal
    done

No errors and ovs-vsctl show showed everything as fine.

Created my ifcfg* scripts:
    echo STARTMODE='auto' >ifcfg-ovsbr0
    echo BOOTPROTO=static >>ifcfg-ovsbr0
    echo IPADDR=10.0.0.254 >>ifcfg-ovsbr0
    echo NETMASK=255.255.255.0 >>ifcfg-ovsbr0
    echo LINK_REQUIRED='no' >>ifcfg-ovsbr0
    echo OVS_BRIDGE='yes' >>ifcfg-ovsbr0
    echo OVS_BRIDGE_PORT_DEVICE='port0' >>ifcfg-ovsbr0

for i in {0..24}
    do
    echo STARTMODE='auto' > ifcfg-port${i}
    echo BOOTPROTO='none' >>ifcfg-port${i}
    done

Performed ifup all connected my KVM VM systems to the ports and everything worked (e.g. ssh, ping, etc.).

When I reboot the bridge and ports are not there. Running this again re-creates them fine:
    ovs-vsctl add-br ovsbr0
    for i in {0..24}
    do
    done
    ifup all

Am I missing a step to preserve the database? I could not find anything in the openvswitch documentation.

Any help will be great appreciated.

Blog Entries

Default Re: openvswitch loses configuration on reboot

Although I haven't done this myself personally,
    To my eye,
    the following is possibly faulty because although you assigned to a bridge device, you didn't specify an interface like what is described in the referenced openvswitch portal (which should probably be renamed as a SDB, portals I usually see don't get into the technical stuff)
    Code:
    ovs-vsctl add-br ovsbr0
    for i in {0..24}
    do
    done
    Although it's cool to set your ports programmaticly, it might be more clear for "only" 25 ports to just use repetitive statements for sureness (You can also modify to use programming after you're sure your config works)

TSU
    Beginner Wiki Quickstart - https://en.opensuse.org/User:Tsu2/Quickstart_Wiki
    Solved a problem recently? Create a wiki page for future personal reference!
    Learn something new?
    Attended a computing event?
    Post and Share!

Blog Entries

As for your reboot problem,
    Did you make the required configuration in the openvswitch service?
    Code:
    # /usr/lib/systemd/system/openvswitch.service
     [Unit]
     Description=Open vSwitch
     Before=network.service
    TSU
    Learn something new?
    Post and Share!

In Leap 42.3 that file is already configured correctly:

Code:
    kvm:/var/lib # more /usr/lib/systemd/system/openvswitch.service
    [Unit]
    Description=Open vSwitch
    Before=network.target network.service
    After=network-pre.target ovsdb-server.service ovs-vswitchd.service
    PartOf=network.target
    BindsTo=ovsdb-server.service
    BindsTo=ovs-vswitchd.service

[Service]
    Type=oneshot
    ExecStart=/bin/true
    ExecStartPost=/usr/share/openvswitch/scripts/ovs-dpdk-migrate-2.6.sh
    ExecReload=/bin/true
    ExecStop=/bin/true
    RemainAfterExit=yes

[Install]
    WantedBy=multi-user.target
    kvm:/var/lib #

Make I am making a big assumption, but here goes.

openvswitch has a backend database. Since my configuration works with no errors or complaints when setting it up and when querying the database I assume the schema is correct. Yet the database retains no data after reboot.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by d3vnull View Post
    Make I am making a big assumption, but here goes.

openvswitch has a backend database. Since my configuration works with no errors or complaints when setting it up and when querying the database I assume the schema is correct. Yet the database retains no data after reboot.
    You can probably test your assumption that the settings aren't in your database by restarting the wicked service (which is described as a working alternative to rebooting).
    I'm assuming that the openvswich configuration doesn't somehow exist in memory during your User session, so restarting the wicked service should read the configuration from the openvswitch database and in so doing verify your database contain your settings.

After a reboot,
    You can also try invoking openvswitch without re-creating your configuration(eg systemctl restart openvswitch) which can further indicate whether your database contains your settings.

If in the end you can't find a solution, creating network settings and objects like this is fairly commonly done by invoking with lines in /etc/sysctl.conf. If you end up doing this, I recommend you read related blogs and MAN pages, I also used this method for modifying TCP/IP stack settings in an article I wrote long ago

https://sites.google.com/site/4techs...orithm-changes

TSU
    Learn something new?
    Post and Share!

Blog Entries

Curious,
    If your openvswitch is not working, is the service running?
    Especially if the service is not running, you may want to view the journal snippet in
    Code:
    systemctl status openvswitch.service
    And, although I'd presume that openvswitch.service cannot start without the following perhaps they should be checked as well
    Code:
    systemctl status ovsdb-server.service
    systemctl status ovs-vswitchd.service
    TSU
    Learn something new?
    Post and Share!

Thanks, those are great troubleshooting suggestions. The /etc/sysctl.conf is certainly an option and easily done. I just hate when things don't work as designed

Quote Originally Posted by tsu2 View Post
    You can probably test your assumption that the settings aren't in your database by restarting the wicked service (which is described as a working alternative to rebooting).
    I'm assuming that the openvswich configuration doesn't somehow exist in memory during your User session, so restarting the wicked service should read the configuration from the openvswitch database and in so doing verify your database contain your settings.

After a reboot,
    You can also try invoking openvswitch without re-creating your configuration(eg systemctl restart openvswitch) which can further indicate whether your database contains your settings.

If in the end you can't find a solution, creating network settings and objects like this is fairly commonly done by invoking with lines in /etc/sysctl.conf. If you end up doing this, I recommend you read related blogs and MAN pages, I also used this method for modifying TCP/IP stack settings in an article I wrote long ago

https://sites.google.com/site/4techs...orithm-changes

TSU

Yes all services are running. My apologies for leaving it out of the post. My original contained that information, but somehow I messed up in posting it.

Quote Originally Posted by tsu2 View Post
    Curious,
    If your openvswitch is not working, is the service running?
    Especially if the service is not running, you may want to view the journal snippet in
    Code:
    systemctl status openvswitch.service
    And, although I'd presume that openvswitch.service cannot start without the following perhaps they should be checked as well
    Code:
    systemctl status ovsdb-server.service
    systemctl status ovs-vswitchd.service
    TSU

Thank you very much for your help so far. I definitely have a timing issue between the openvswitch.service and the network.service.

If I set the bridge and ports up as I originally did and do not reboot they function as they should.

If I go into yast and disable wicked, reboot, login and check my openvswitch database everything has been saved. Restarting wicked in yast brings the system back online and openvswitch works as I have configured it.

Not disabling wicked before a reboot clears/empties/corrupts the openvswitch database.

I would much rather somehow place a pause between the two services and have a longer boot process than have to disable and re-enable wicked. Otherwise, when the system requires a hard reset I am again having to reconfigure openvswitch.

Any suggestions? I am surprised no one else has run across this issue. i would think docker would utilize this although possibly they are moving the openvswitch part into userspace with DPDK and do not have the same issues.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast