Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Trouble changing display managers

Unhappy Trouble changing display managers

I installed Tumbleweed yesterday with KDE. I would like to switch to gnome, but it seems I lose some functionality without gdm. I cannot figure out how to change the display manager.

I have tried using YaST (the option gdm is not in the edit /etc/sysconfig) and I have tried manually editing the file /etc/sysconfig/displaymanager. When I change DISPLAYMANAGER="sddm" to DISPLAYMANAGER="gdm" and restart, there is no effect.

According to the YaST Software tool, gdm is installed.

All the documentation gives these 2 options, and they don't seem to work.
    Please help

Default Re: Trouble changing display managers

Use:

Code:
    sudo update-alternatives --config default-displaymanager
    Regards, Paul

2x Tumbleweed (Snapshot: 20191016) KDE Plasma 5
    2x Leap 15.1 KDE Plasma 5

Blog Entries

I wonder if this can't be addressed with little to no effort...

Could be simple as replacing the Yast shortcut to launch a console (even xterm so will work no matter what other terminal app is installed) running the update-alternatives command.

Would probably take all of about 20 seconds for someone to do that... plus another minute or two for actually getting it through the QA process...

Already TW is doing something similar when launching firewalld instead of SuSEFW2...

TSU
    Beginner Wiki Quickstart - https://en.opensuse.org/User:Tsu2/Quickstart_Wiki
    Solved a problem recently? Create a wiki page for future personal reference!
    Learn something new?
    Attended a computing event?
    Post and Share!

Quote Originally Posted by tsu2 View Post
    Could be simple as replacing the Yast shortcut to launch a console (even xterm so will work no matter what other terminal app is installed) running the update-alternatives command.
    And what "Yast shortcut" do you mean here?
    YaST's /etc/sysconfig editor is of course for editing the files in /etc/sysconfig/, making it run update-alternatives instead makes no sense...

There is a YaST module for update-alternatives too (package yast2-alternatives), but AFAIK it's not installed by default unfortunately.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by wolfi323 View Post
    And what "Yast shortcut" do you mean here?
    YaST's /etc/sysconfig editor is of course for editing the files in /etc/sysconfig/, making it run update-alternatives instead makes no sense...

There is a YaST module for update-alternatives too (package yast2-alternatives), but AFAIK it's not installed by default unfortunately.
    I'm saying that what TW now does with firewalld is an exact template for what should be done.
    When you launch YaST2, it is basically a way to graphically list specified YaST modules, but does not actually contain any modules... Those are entirely separate.
    So, now when you click to configure the FW in YaST in TW, the shortcut today doesn't point to the SUSEFW2 YaST module as it still does in LEAP, it now simply launches firewalld which is its own app, fully outside of, and not created or maintained by openSUSE. You just get the firewalld instead of a YaST module.

In the same way,
    That firewall pointer/shortcut in Yast should simply launch an xterm console running the update-alternatives command. Although a text console, I'm sure it's graphical enough for any User to understand what needs to be done.

TSU
    Learn something new?
    Post and Share!

I'm saying that what TW now does with firewalld is an exact template for what should be done.
    Template for what exactly?

As I wrote, there already is a YaST module for update-alternatives.

Blog Entries

I can see I'm being clear as mud.
    Let's start over...

Take a look at what TW is now doing in YaST to launch firewalld.
    It's a perfect example that YaST can launch anything, even an "outside app" and not just YaST modules, in fact this case apparently suggests that YaST modules are self-contained apps which could be launched independently of the YaST manager itself if written to support that.

This means that you don't have to write a YaST module for configuring the Display Manager, or at least it's only an option since the immediate solution is already known and available... Launch a console and run update-alternatives already configured for choosing the Display Manager.

This means that you can currently go into the /etc/sysconfig editor module, find the code related to setting the Display Manager and re-write the command to launch the external app.
    Or, perhaps more simply just create a new icon that displays in YaST that launches the external console with command.

Several ways to do this, and many hardly require much effort.

TSU
    Learn something new?
    Post and Share!

Blog Entries

An additional thought...
    Although what I've described should be simple and not require much effort,
    If there is a larger strategy for re-implementing and possibly deprecating the /etc/sysconfig,
    A long term solution which would require effort might warrant a look...

If the long term objective is to deprecate /etc/sysconfig, then maybe something should be written that flexibly re-directs calls to this location...
    I don't know if this can actually be done since what I'm describing violates the separation of functionality from static config files, but should at least warrant a look.

IMO,
    TSU
    Learn something new?
    Post and Share!

Take a look at what TW is now doing in YaST to launch firewalld.
    It's a perfect example that YaST can launch anything, even an "outside app" and not just YaST modules
    Sure it can. If you provide an icon that does that.

But that doesn't mean the /etc/sysconfig/ editor can do that for one particular setting, that doesn't even exist anymore in Tumbleweed and Leap 15.
    There is no particular "code related to setting the Display Manager", it's just a generic thing that parses the config files in /etc/sysconfig/ and let's you edit them (as the name suggests).

And again, a YaST module that lets you configure update-alternatives does exist already, even in 42.3.
    Nothing to be done there...

In any case, this is not the place to discuss this really.
    Either write something yourself (as you say it is so easy) and submit it, or start a discussion on opensuse-factory, or file a bug report.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by deoz View Post
    I installed Tumbleweed yesterday with KDE. I would like to switch to gnome, but it seems I lose some functionality without gdm.
    Yes, you are correct. You lose some functionality without GDM.

For both Tumbleweed and Leap 15.0 Beta, the method (as another user has posted) is:
    Code:
    update-alternatives --config default-displaymanager
    openSUSE Leap 15.1; KDE Plasma 5;
    testing Leap 15.2Alpha

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast