Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Trouble changing display managers

Smile Re: Trouble changing display managers

Thanks, everyone, this worked great:
    Quote Originally Posted by tannington View Post
    Use:

Code:
    sudo update-alternatives --config default-displaymanager
    I also installed this YaST module - it seems to work well also. I think having it installed by default might be a good idea.
    Quote Originally Posted by wolfi323 View Post
    There is a YaST module for update-alternatives too (package yast2-alternatives), but AFAIK it's not installed by default unfortunately.

Default Re: Trouble changing display managers

Leap 15 has the same issues.

In the Release Notes, section 4.3, the two new methods to be used are described; in addition to the alternatives command, there is a new YaST module, Alternatives, that is intended to make modifications to the alternatives db(?). Oddly, the Alternatives module is not installed by default, so it must be downloaded manually via zypper. (I couldn't find it using the YaST Software Management module.)

A drawback to using the YaST module is that there doesn't seem to be a way to add a new entry if what you want isn't in the list; e.g. if you want to use the Trinity desktop, there's no way to add TDM with the YaST Alternatives module because it's not on the list.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by MisterSlippery View Post
    Leap 15 has the same issues.

In the Release Notes, section 4.3, the two new methods to be used are described; in addition to the alternatives command, there is a new YaST module, Alternatives, that is intended to make modifications to the alternatives db(?). Oddly, the Alternatives module is not installed by default, so it must be downloaded manually via zypper. (I couldn't find it using the YaST Software Management module.)

A drawback to using the YaST module is that there doesn't seem to be a way to add a new entry if what you want isn't in the list; e.g. if you want to use the Trinity desktop, there's no way to add TDM with the YaST Alternatives module because it's not on the list.
    Creating a configuration to enable a Display Manager might be very simple.
    AFAIK at the moment, there are no slave configurations for any Display Manager, you only need the alternative to point to s particular file.
    For something that simple, you can follow the guide I created for creating an alternative for gcc

https://en.opensuse.org/User:Tsu2/gc...e-alternatives

TSU
    Beginner Wiki Quickstart - https://en.opensuse.org/User:Tsu2/Quickstart_Wiki
    Solved a problem recently? Create a wiki page for future personal reference!
    Learn something new?
    Attended a computing event?
    Post and Share!

Quote Originally Posted by MisterSlippery View Post
    e.g. if you want to use the Trinity desktop, there's no way to add TDM with the YaST Alternatives module because it's not on the list.
    What I do:
    Code:
    /usr/sbin/update-alternatives --install /usr/lib/X11/displaymanagers/default-displaymanager default-displaymanager /usr/lib/X11/displaymanagers/tdm 15
    Reg. Linux User #211409 *** multibooting since 1992
    Primary: 42.3,TW,15.0 & 13.1 on Haswell w/ RAID
    Secondary: eComStation (OS/2)&42.3 on 965P/Radeon
    Tertiary: TW,15.0,42.3,Fedora,Debian,more on Kaby Lake,Q45,Q43,G41,G3X,965G,Cedar,Caicos,Oland,GT218&&&

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by mrmazda View Post
    What I do:
    Code:
    /usr/sbin/update-alternatives --install /usr/lib/X11/displaymanagers/default-displaymanager default-displaymanager /usr/lib/X11/displaymanagers/tdm 15
    It might not also need to be said,
    But a common mistake that was made using the YaST tool and might be overlooked by someone using update-alternatives is that you need to
    - Install the Display Manager package
    <and>
    - Create the update-alternatives alternative if necessary.

Skipping one of the two results in failure, <both> are necessary.

TSU
    Beginner Wiki Quickstart - https://en.opensuse.org/User:Tsu2/Quickstart_Wiki
    Solved a problem recently? Create a wiki page for future personal reference!
    Learn something new?
    Attended a computing event?
    Post and Share!

Quote Originally Posted by tsu2 View Post
    It might not also need to be said,
    But a common mistake that was made using the YaST tool and might be overlooked by someone using update-alternatives is that you need to
    - Install the Display Manager package
    <and>
    - Create the update-alternatives alternative if necessary.
    *Creating* the alternative should *not* be necessary, that should actually be done by the package on installation.
    If not, it would be a bug, but I'm pretty sure that has been changed accordingly for all DMs included in the distribution.
    Last edited by wolfi323; 20-Jun-2018 at 09:50.

I'm pretty sure that has been changed accordingly for all DMs included in the distribution.
    Comment 12 was about TDM, which I don't believe fits the definition of "included in the distribution".
    Tertiary: TW,15.0,42.3,Fedora,Debian,more on Kaby Lake,Q45,Q43,G41,G3X,965G,Cedar,Caicos,Oland,GT218&&&

Comment 12 was about TDM, which I don't believe fits the definition of "included in the distribution".
    No, that isn't included, so it would indeed be necessary to create the alternatives entry (unless upstream would change their openSUSE packages to support that, or it uses its own systemd service anyway that "replaces" openSUSE's display-manager.service).

I replied to comment#15 though.
    Last edited by wolfi323; 20-Jun-2018 at 10:35.

...unless upstream would change their openSUSE packages to support that...
    It's been requested: http://bugs.pearsoncomputing.net/show_bug.cgi?id=2931

The requested change looks fine to me, if they implement it correctly.

FTR, this is the corresponding change to openSUSE's kdm(4) package, if you want to forward it:
    https://build.opensuse.org/package/r...=base&rev=1177

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12