Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: What is the meaning of Yast entries in the color red?

Default What is the meaning of Yast entries in the color red?

Hello:

I know this is a "Linux for Dummies" question, but some things are simply not spelled out anywhere I can find.

In Yast > Software Management > Installed (Available) column:

What is the meaning of entries in the color red?

In this particular instance, "MozillaFirefox-branding-openSUSE - openSUSE branding of MozillaFirefox" is listed as "Installed" but is in red.

If the meaning is "no longer available" or something similar, what are my options?

If I uninstall it, will that break something in "MozillaFirefox" or "kmozillahelper" which show as "Installed" and in their normal black text?

How can I tell?

And generally, what is the meaning of a listing in color red in Yast? Lately I'm seeing a lot of red entries in Yast.
    openSUSE-LEAP 15.0 KDE-x86_64
    Gigabyte GA-F2A88X-D3HP (rev. 1.0) | 16GB DDR3-1866
    AMD 880G + SB850 Chipset | ATI Radeon HD 4250 (DirectX10.1)
    sda=80GB Ext4 | sdb&sdc=500GB Ext4 | sdd=1T Ext4
    Firefox 60.6.1esr(64-bit) | Thunderbird 60.6.1(64-bit)

Default Re: What is the meaning of Yast entries in the color red?

As far as I understand it, the colour red for a package entry in the list of YaST Software Management means that there is no enabled repository that has that package. I think there can be different reasons for it like
    • the repository it was installed from is removed (and no other enabled repos has it);
    • the package is removed from the repository, e.g. while the maintainers went back to an earlier version;
    • many more????

I assume it depends on the reason if you want to do something with it. E.g. when there was a fall back to an earlier version, you could do likewise. But I doubt there is a general "do this" solution.

And generally, what is the meaning of a listing in color red in Yast? Lately I'm seeing a lot of red entries in Yast.
    You better specify that. YaST has a lot of mudules and I assume that it depends very much on what the module manages to understand what red could mean in what module.
    Henk van Velden

Hi Henk:

This is openSUSE 42.2 "zypper dup" upgraded to 42.3 and undoubtedly my "red" file was installed from the 42.2 repo back when this WAS 42.2.
    I just didn't know whether to leave it installed, since it's "red", or leave it where it is. I think now I'll keep it where it is until something happens to change my mind.

Way too many "red entries" in Yast right now for me to wade through them to describe. I can only wonder if the 42.3 repos are not being upgraded while all the attention now is on v15...?

Chuck

Quote Originally Posted by Maximillium View Post
    Way too many "red entries" in Yast right now for me to wade through them to describe.
    I m not sure if you are talking about YaST (a lot of modules for system management) or only about the Software Management part of YaST when you mention "red coloured entries".

Your title is about YaST (in general). Then you narrow it down to package versions in YaST > Software Management, but then you widen it again into general "a listing in color red in Yast? Lately I'm seeing a lot of red entries in Yast".

Can we please first decide what you are looking at (I can not see what you are doing)?

And when you have a lot of red coloured package versions in software package management, the please start with showing your repo list
    Code:
    zypper lr -d
    Last edited by hcvv; 16-Apr-2018 at 02:22.
    Henk van Velden

Blog Entries

Way too many "red entries" in Yast right now for me to wade through them to describe.
    Select the "Package Groups" view.
    In the left column (toward the bottom), click "Orphaned Packages".

That will show just the packages that are not in any repo (i.e. the red ones). It will give you a better overview.
    openSUSE Leap 15.1; KDE Plasma 5;
    testing Leap 15.2Alpha

Hi Henk:

This is openSUSE 42.2 "zypper dup" upgraded to 42.3 and undoubtedly my "red" file was installed from the 42.2 repo back when this WAS 42.2.
    I just didn't know whether to leave it installed, since it's "red", or nuke it. I think now I'll keep it where it is until something happens to change my mind.

Way too many "red entries" in Yast right now for me to wade through them to describe. I can only wonder if the 42.3 repos are not being upgraded while all the attention now is on v15...?

Chuck
    From the original post:
    In Yast > Software Management > Installed (Available) column:

What is the meaning of entries in the color red?
    Almost anything I search for will have entries in color red.

Result for zypper lr d:

Code:
    Pegasus:~ # zypper lr d
    Repository 'd' not found by its alias, number, or URI.
    Use 'zypper repos' to get the list of defined repositories.
    Pegasus:~ # zypper repos
    Repository priorities in effect:                                                                                            (See 'zypper lr -P' for details)
          90 (raised priority)  :  2 repositories
          99 (default priority) :  2 repositories

# | Alias                    | Name                     | Enabled | GPG Check | Refresh
    --+--------------------------+--------------------------+---------+-----------+--------
    1 | Leap_42.3_All_of_Packman | Leap 42.3 All of Packman | Yes     | (r ) Yes  | Yes    
    2 | Leap_42.3_Non-OSS        | Leap 42.3 Non-OSS        | No      | ----      | ----   
    3 | Leap_42.3_OSS            | Leap 42.3 OSS            | No      | ----      | ----   
    4 | Leap_42.3_Update         | Leap 42.3 Update         | Yes     | (r ) Yes  | Yes    
    5 | Leap_42.3_Update_Non-OSS | Leap 42.3 Update Non-OSS | Yes     | (r ) Yes  | Yes    
    6 | libdvdcss                | libdvdcss                | Yes     | (r ) Yes  | Yes    
    Pegasus:~ #

Quote Originally Posted by nrickert View Post
    Select the "Package Groups" view.
    In the left column (toward the bottom), click "Orphaned Packages".

That will show just the packages that are not in any repo (i.e. the red ones). It will give you a better overview.
    WOW! "Orphaned Packages" shows what I guestimate approx. 500+ "orphaned" packages!

So I'm thinking "is my openSUSE still using those 'orphans' or are they only clutter now?"

Do I still need them? Or will I break something by removing them?

Or should I wait and see if they are replaced by something?

And how would I know if they are replaced, and by what?

I hope you can see my confusion....

Blog Entries

Hi
    It's because you have repositories 2 and 3 disabled since the bulk of the packages come from here.... any packages installed from a repository, then the repository is disabled will become @System since they have no home...
    Cheers Malcolm °¿° SUSE Knowledge Partner (Linux Counter #276890)
    SUSE SLE, openSUSE Leap/Tumbleweed (x86_64) | GNOME DE
    If you find this post helpful and are logged into the web interface,
    please show your appreciation and click on the star below... Thanks!

From the original post:

Almost anything I search for will have entries in color red.

Result for zypper lr d:

Code:
    Pegasus:~ # zypper lr d
    Repository 'd' not found by its alias, number, or URI.
    Use 'zypper repos' to get the list of defined repositories.
    Pegasus:~ # zypper repos
    Repository priorities in effect:                                                                                            (See 'zypper lr -P' for details)
          90 (raised priority)  :  2 repositories
          99 (default priority) :  2 repositories

# | Alias                    | Name                     | Enabled | GPG Check | Refresh
    --+--------------------------+--------------------------+---------+-----------+--------
    1 | Leap_42.3_All_of_Packman | Leap 42.3 All of Packman | Yes     | (r ) Yes  | Yes    
    2 | Leap_42.3_Non-OSS        | Leap 42.3 Non-OSS        | No      | ----      | ----   
    3 | Leap_42.3_OSS            | Leap 42.3 OSS            | No      | ----      | ----   
    4 | Leap_42.3_Update         | Leap 42.3 Update         | Yes     | (r ) Yes  | Yes    
    5 | Leap_42.3_Update_Non-OSS | Leap 42.3 Update Non-OSS | Yes     | (r ) Yes  | Yes    
    6 | libdvdcss                | libdvdcss                | Yes     | (r ) Yes  | Yes    
    Pegasus:~ #
    To begin with, when I say
    Code:
    zypper lr -d
    I do NOT mean
    Code:
    zypper lr d
    When you are not able for whatever reason to do a copy/paste of the commands we suggest, then please check and recheck what you type against what is suggested. In this case what happens is rather harmless, but mallforming commands, specially when executed as root, can be very dangerous to your system.

And next. Because you now have your OSS and Non-OSS, in other words, the main repos of openSUSE 42.3, disabled. the majority of your packages will be shown "in red". As I explained in post #2 in the first bullet where it says: "... no other enabled repos has it)". (and @malcolmlewis says the same).

So please enable those two and try if you can post the output of
    Code:
    zypper lr -d
    Also check how many now still are "in red".
    Henk van Velden

Blog Entries

WOW! "Orphaned Packages" shows what I guestimate approx. 500+ "orphaned" packages!
    That's too many.

Let me guess. You were using the packman repo, and perhaps some other repos before you upgraded. You disabled those. Most of the orphaned packages come from those repos.

If I'm correct about packman, then be sure to add back the packman repo for 42.3 -- and make sure it is the 42.3 version, not the 42.2 version. Then update. You should finish up with fewer orphans.
    openSUSE Leap 15.1; KDE Plasma 5;
    testing Leap 15.2Alpha

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast