Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Install from Win10 using the opensuse_install.exe to a partition on

Default Install from Win10 using the opensuse_install.exe to a partition on

Install from Win10 using the opensuse_install.exe to a partition on a hard drive connected to a pci card?
    Three hdd’s, 1 sata with Win10, 1 sata with Win7, third is a pata storage hdd that is connected to the mobo via a pci card.
    Can I install to the 3rd pata hdd from the Win10 hdd using the opensuse_install.exe that shows up when I extract the iso?

Blog Entries

Default Re: Install from Win10 using the opensuse_install.exe to a partition on

I have never tried it. But I think it just sets your system up to boot from the DVD on next boot.
    openSUSE Leap 15.3; KDE Plasma 5.18.6;

Just be certain that the install points to the right drives/partitions. It should work

Thanks. Will give it a try and hope I doesn't fubar my Windows drive(s).

The only reason I asked is I can't seem to get a 'live' USB stick to work. It just ends up with GRUB on it, and doesn't launch anything. Or the live app fails to complete fro some reason. The checksum's are OK as far as I can tell.

Maybe I was trying to do something that Leap 42.3 won't do as a live USB. OR just making it more difficult than it is.
    I tried with both iso's the large DVD version, and the smaller net version.
    I am not new to SuSe linux, but it has been a long time since I have tried to get it back on my desktop machine.

Did you create the live USB correct? You must copy the ISO on the device, not on a partition (that is one thing people often do wrong).

In other words, when you tell here what you did to create that installation on the USB device people could make comments on that.
    Henk van Velden

Use rufus to create an bootable USB. With dd from rufus (create a bootable disk using ... choose dd).

You can also look here, including more detailed instructions for using rufus.
    https://en.opensuse.org/SDB:Create_a..._using_Windows
    "Take a Walk on a Sunny Day, Greet everyone along the way, and Make Somebody Smile, Today"
    Gerry Jack Macks"Walk On A Sunny Day" GerryJackMacks.net

Also, note that if we know exactly what happens when you boot it, where it is at in the process when it fails, we will be better able to help you.

There are a few different places in the install process where a fail might be possible due to something unusual in your setup, and each of those has different possible solutions.

Good luck.
    "Take a Walk on a Sunny Day, Greet everyone along the way, and Make Somebody Smile, Today"
    Gerry Jack Macks"Walk On A Sunny Day" GerryJackMacks.net

Thanks for all of the responses!

I will try to explain what I did to get a 'bootable' USB stick. The iso file was in a storage area on an HDD and NOT on the USB stick.
    I tried with imageusb, and that is the one that failed every time. I tried with Etcher, unetbootin, and yumi. All these just left me a grup type boot manager. I don't remember if I tried with rufus. Got tired not seeing a black screen with text on it, but nothing that would allow me to boot into a 'live opensuse'.

Prior to trying opensuse, I got live boots using yumi of mint and chaletos that let me select and use either one from a boot menu.

I was putting opensuse on another USB stick because the other one with mint and chaletos was out of room.

SO>> onward, This evening I tried installing opensuse on that third HDD that is connected via a PCI card, and I get a multi-boot menu, but it just shows my Windows versions and the opensuse installer. after the long time of doing the install, I rebooted, got the menu, selected the opensuse item, and it just started the whole install thing all over again. It did do some partitioning of that drive. Not aware it was suppose to do that.

So, I have freed up one of the sata HDD's, and am ready to format it and hopefully get opensuse on it as a multi boot with my Windows(not ready to toss them yet).

But realistically, I would like to take a look at it before I commit to installing on an HDD.

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast