Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Setting default web browser to TBB falls back to previous browser

Blog Entries

Default Re: Setting default web browser to TBB falls back to previous browser

A comment and FYI

The Tor Browser Bundle is generally what I would always recommend for running Tor, which sets up an alternative Internet Application stack for running apps like its own Tor browser (based on Firefox).

If you want full integration with other Internet applications, you can install and configure them to run using the same onion router network, which means the apps are also routed into Tor's network, using its default gateway, DNS, name cache, etc. Dong this should set up your apps the way you are asking and should bypass your system, Desktop and other settings.

This is commonly done for apps like email and Internet-based messaging, instructions to set up specific applications can be found in blogs and other Tor documentation.

HTH,
    TSU
    Beginner Wiki Quickstart - https://en.opensuse.org/User:Tsu2/Quickstart_Wiki
    Solved a problem recently? Create a wiki page for future personal reference!
    Learn something new?
    Attended a computing event?
    Post and Share!

heyjoe NNTP User

Quote Originally Posted by tsu2 View Post
    A comment and FYI

The Tor Browser Bundle is generally what I would always recommend for running Tor, which sets up an alternative Internet Application stack for running apps like its own Tor browser (based on Firefox).

If you want full integration with other Internet applications, you can install and configure them to run using the same onion router network, which means the apps are also routed into Tor's network, using its default gateway, DNS, name cache, etc. Dong this should set up your apps the way you are asking and should bypass your system, Desktop and other settings.

This is commonly done for apps like email and Internet-based messaging, instructions to set up specific applications can be found in blogs and other Tor documentation.

HTH,
    TSU
    Yes, I suppose Tails is doing something similar. In this particular case I was simply looking or an easier way to have links clicked and opened directly in TBB but unfortunately this seems not possible.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by heyjoe View Post
    Yes, I suppose Tails is doing something similar. In this particular case I was simply looking or an easier way to have links clicked and opened directly in TBB but unfortunately this seems not possible.
    Yes,
    This is exactly why and how Tails automatically launches the "helper apps" as expected and you can do the same on any machine.

TSU
    Beginner Wiki Quickstart - https://en.opensuse.org/User:Tsu2/Quickstart_Wiki
    Solved a problem recently? Create a wiki page for future personal reference!
    Learn something new?
    Attended a computing event?
    Post and Share!

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12