Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: I accidentally broke KDE whilst rpm database was damaged

Question I accidentally broke KDE whilst rpm database was damaged

I had some issues that seemed to have coincided with a broken rpm database. I eventually fixed this following some advice, using the command:

Code:
    rpm --rebuilddb
    However, before I ran that command, as a result of the broken rpm database, KDE wouldn't load. Whilst trying to fix it I accidentally uninstalled all the KDE related rpms. Then when I tried to reinstall them, they all gave errors.

After the rebuild, it looks like I can reinstall them again, however I still can't get into KDE (either Plasma or OpenBox KDE), so I am still accessing this machine using IceWM.

It is possible that I haven't installed all of the KDE dependencies? I was hoping that Yast2 would automatically add them, but I may have missed something. Or maybe something else is wrong?

Context
    This is an outstanding issue after fixing the issues described in another thread. Since the main issues in that thread are fixed I'm marking it resolved and starting a new thread for this issue.

Default Re: I accidentally broke KDE whilst rpm database was damaged

Have you installed the KDE patterns that should bring in all KDE/plasma dependencies

Quote Originally Posted by antonchanning View Post
    However, before I ran that command, as a result of the broken rpm database, KDE wouldn't load.
    KDE doesn't care at all about the rpm database, KDE not loading is definitely *not* the result of a broken rpm database.
    Probably your system was inconsistent/not fully updated though, causing the problem.

Try to run "zypper dup" and see if some packages get updated.

If that doesn't help, run plasmashell inside IceWM and post the error messages you (hopefully) get.

Quote Originally Posted by gogalthorp View Post
    Have you installed the KDE patterns that should bring in all KDE/plasma dependencies
    The patterns were never uninstalled. They are apparently up to date. I could check again if necessary.

Quote Originally Posted by wolfi323 View Post
    KDE doesn't care at all about the rpm database, KDE not loading is definitely *not* the result of a broken rpm database.
    Probably your system was inconsistent/not fully updated though, causing the problem.

Try to run "zypper dup" and see if some packages get updated.

If that doesn't help, run plasmashell inside IceWM and post the error messages you (hopefully) get.
    I did a "zypper dup" immediately after fixing the rpm database as the next thing when kde still wouldn't load. I am trying it again now. Will report back once it has finished and I get to reboot and see if it worked. Then I will try the plasmashell. Is that just from typing it in a terminal window?

Then I will try the plasmashell. Is that just from typing it in a terminal window?
    Yes.
    You could also try "startkde", but IIRC that will abort at some point as it cannot run the window manager (because IceWM's is already running). Might show the critical error before that already though.

Whilst the KDE patterns were never uninstalled, I accidentally clicked yes during a 'zypper dup' when it suggested:

Code:
    The following 33 packages are going to be REMOVED:
      akonadi-calendar-tools akonadi-import-wizard akonadi-search baloo5-file baloo5-imports baloo5-kioslaves baloo5-tools baloo5-widgets kaccounts-integration kaccounts-providers kcalutils kdeclarative-components kdelibs4support kdepim-runtime kio_audiocd kleopatra kmail-account-wizard kmailtransport kwin5 libKF5Baloo5 libKF5Holidays5 libKF5KCMUtils5 libKF5QuickAddons5 libKF5Runner5 libKPimGAPICalendar5 libKPimGAPIContacts5 libKPimGAPITasks5 libKPimImportWizard5 plasma5-session plasma5-session-wayland plasma5-workspace plasma-framework purpose

Whilst the KDE patterns were never uninstalled, I accidentally clicked yes during a 'zypper dup' when it suggested:

Code:
    The following 33 packages are going to be REMOVED:
      akonadi-calendar-tools akonadi-import-wizard akonadi-search baloo5-file baloo5-imports baloo5-kioslaves baloo5-tools baloo5-widgets kaccounts-integration kaccounts-providers kcalutils kdeclarative-components kdelibs4support kdepim-runtime kio_audiocd kleopatra kmail-account-wizard kmailtransport kwin5 libKF5Baloo5 libKF5Holidays5 libKF5KCMUtils5 libKF5QuickAddons5 libKF5Runner5 libKPimGAPICalendar5 libKPimGAPIContacts5 libKPimGAPITasks5 libKPimImportWizard5 plasma5-session plasma5-session-wayland plasma5-workspace plasma-framework purpose
    Well, then just reinstall them again:
    Code:
    sudo zypper in akonadi-calendar-tools akonadi-import-wizard akonadi-search baloo5-file baloo5-imports baloo5-kioslaves baloo5-tools baloo5-widgets kaccounts-integration kaccounts-providers kcalutils kdeclarative-components kdelibs4support kdepim-runtime kio_audiocd kleopatra kmail-account-wizard kmailtransport kwin5 libKF5Baloo5 libKF5Holidays5 libKF5KCMUtils5 libKF5QuickAddons5 libKF5Runner5 libKPimGAPICalendar5 libKPimGAPIContacts5 libKPimGAPITasks5 libKPimImportWizard5 plasma5-session plasma5-session-wayland plasma5-workspace plasma-framework purpose
    Easy to do with copy/paste...

At the very least you need plasma5-session, that should pull in everything necessary to be able to start Plasma.

OTOH, if the patterns are still installed, "zypper inr" (install recommends) should help as well.
    Although, the patterns so require e.g. plasma5-session so I find it doubtfull that they are still installed if you removed those packages.

Copy paste doesn't work in the IceWM terminal, or at least not that I could find.

However, whilst I haven't checked them all, the ones I did check are already reinstalled and up to date (I tried to do it via Yast2 a few days back).

Maybe it would help if I explain what happens when I try to login to KDE or Open Box KDE.

If I select those on the login screen, it tries to enter them, shows me the lightbulb animation flash screen, then after a few seconds returns to login.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast