Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: LibreOffice "offline" help install fails on Leap 42.3

Default LibreOffice "offline" help install fails on Leap 42.3

I'm running Leap on my desktop and using the OpenSUSE version of LibreOffice (5.4.5.1). LibreOffice has an "offline" help version that's just an RPM from libreoffice.org:

libobasis5.4-en-US-help-5.4.5.1-1.x86_64.rpm

However, if I try to install it, it fails with the following dependency error

Code:
    > sudo rpm --install libobasis5.4-en-US-help-5.4.5.1-1.x86_64.rpm 
    [sudo] password for root: 
    error: Failed dependencies:
            libobasis5.4-en-US >= 5.4.5.1 is needed by libobasis5.4-en-US-help-5.4.5.1-1.x86_64
            libobasis5.4-en-US <= 5.4.5.1-1 is needed by libobasis5.4-en-US-help-5.4.5.1-1.x86_64

On the LibreOffice forum, the suggestion was that I was missing the "en-US" language pack for LibreOffice, but AFAIK, that's what I'm running :-). It's also not available as a separate download anywhere that I can find Other languages have RPM's on the LibreOffice site like: "LibreOffice_5.4.5.1_Linux_x86-64_rpm_langpack_en-GB.tar.gz" . A quick google search didn't turn up any solutions either. So I have TWO questions:

1. Is there a repo on opensuse.org that includes the helppack and langpack RPMs for LibreOffice?
    2. Is this a possible packaging problem with LibreOffice? The RPM/package names are very different between libreoffice.org and opensuse.org, so I'm not sure which packages are actually required.

Thanks in advance!

Dan

PS: The temporary work-around is obvious; I just use the online help version . . . but I'd like to have the offline one available.

Blog Entries

Default Re: LibreOffice "offline" help install fails on Leap 42.3

Hi,

The openSUSE packages are packaged completely different from the stock ones, probably to keep in line with openSUSE practices, I've had a quick look around, but don't find any packages, But, in this case we know the language files have been installed, just not by the name the rpm expects, and I myself would try and see what ignoring these two deps would do. Won't do any harm either,
    ° Appreciate my reply? Click the star and let me know why.

° Perfection is not gonna happen. No way.

https://en.opensuse.org/openSUSE:Board#Members
    http://en.opensuse.org/User:Knurpht
    http://nl.opensuse.org/Gebruiker:Knurpht

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Knurpht View Post
    Hi,

The openSUSE packages are packaged completely different from the stock ones, probably to keep in line with openSUSE practices, I've had a quick look around, but don't find any packages, But, in this case we know the language files have been installed, just not by the name the rpm expects, and I myself would try and see what ignoring these two deps would do. Won't do any harm either,
    To add: Use zypper, it's solver will make suggestions instead of rpm's simple 'failed'.
    Code:
    sudo zypper in ./RPM.rpm
    and accept it to break the deps fot this package.
    ° Appreciate my reply? Click the star and let me know why.

° Perfection is not gonna happen. No way.

https://en.opensuse.org/openSUSE:Board#Members
    http://en.opensuse.org/User:Knurpht
    http://nl.opensuse.org/Gebruiker:Knurpht

unfortunately the offline help isn't packaged by OBS and can't be installed from the opensuse repo's, the packages from libreoffice.org aren't quite compatible with the ones shipped by opensuse as the libreoffice.org ones install in /opt while opensuse's in /usr
    I think you have 3 choicess
    #̶1̶ ̶o̶p̶e̶n̶ ̶a̶ ̶b̶u̶g̶ ̶r̶e̶p̶o̶r̶t̶ ̶a̶b̶o̶u̶t̶ ̶t̶h̶e̶ ̶m̶i̶s̶s̶i̶n̶g̶ ̶o̶f̶f̶l̶i̶n̶e̶ ̶h̶e̶l̶p̶ ̶f̶i̶l̶e̶s̶ ̶h̶t̶t̶p̶:̶/̶/̶b̶u̶g̶z̶i̶l̶l̶a̶.̶o̶p̶e̶n̶s̶u̶s̶e̶.̶o̶r̶g̶/̶
    you can use the forums account to access bugzilla you don't have to register
    now while this won't bring a new rpm in the main repo the maintainer will probobly build one in the libreoffice repo's (or they could refuse to package them)
    #2 use libreoffice binaries from libreoffice.org removing opensuse's build (this is what the error was about)
    #3 ignore the error by installing with zypper and choosing ignore dependencies or use a file (archive) manager to unpack the content of that rpm and manually copy the help files to I'm guessing /usr/share/libreoffice I wouldn't recommend this

for best compatibility (inc getting the help files in LEAP 15) I'd recommend #1, for fastest results go with #2, unless you know exactly what you're doing I don't recommend #3

edit
    apparently the offline help files have been intentionally removed to improve build times
    Thu Jun 2 08:53:49 UTC 2016 - tchvatal@suse.com

- Version update to 5.2.0.0.beta1:
    * Disable bundled help and point to upstream wiki always (speeds
    up build quite a bit)
    and they're not coming back so that leaves options #2 and #3 you can see this old thread about getting the offline help working with opensuse's build
    https://forums.opensuse.org/showthre...ing-help-files
    Last edited by I_A; 06-Apr-2018 at 03:01.

I use the libreoffice site to install their rpms and have done so for probably a couple of years or more without a problem. There's also a link in the preferences to check for updates although I prefer to check manually. I then download the the tar files and extract them into my own internal repo (that's because I have leap and tumbleweed).
    Pete

Quote Originally Posted by Knurpht View Post
    To add: Use zypper, it's solver will make suggestions instead of rpm's simple 'failed'.
    Code:
    sudo zypper in ./RPM.rpm
    and accept it to break the deps fot this package.
    Thanks - this worked like a charm!

Note that:
    • As noted above, the base install directory for LibreOffice is different (OpenSUSE: /usr/lib64/libreoffice, LibreOffice: /opt/libreoffice5.4) so I also had to "relocate" the RPM during the install to get it to work. The help files are a simple directory structure under <libreoffice>/help/en-US.
    • The RPM is unsigned (zypper complained).

So I now have the "offline" help available - thanks again!

Dan

FYI, today's LO update for 42.3 brings back the offline help. (it had been removed in the past to save build time and space)

It's also included in TW and Leap 15.0 again since some weeks.

Quote Originally Posted by wolfi323 View Post
    FYI, today's LO update for 42.3 brings back the offline help. (it had been removed in the past to save build time and space)

It's also included in TW and Leap 15.0 again since some weeks.
    just noticed the same thing
    I also noticed that the libreoffice version was upgraded to 6.0 something I wasn't expecting in LEAP

Quote Originally Posted by I_A View Post
    I also noticed that the libreoffice version was upgraded to 6.0 something I wasn't expecting in LEAP
    It has been upgraded to 6.0.3.2 3 weeks ago already.

And before that it has been upgraded to 5.4 as well (Leap 42.3 originally shipped with 5.3.3)

According to the later postings the offline help should be available now. Please tell me where it is hiding because I can't seem to find it. This is what I get:
    Code:
    >sudo zypper se libreoffice|grep doc
       | libreoffice-sdk-doc                        | LibreOffice SDK Documentation                               | package    
    >sudo zypper se libreoffice|grep help
    >
    I want the application docs not the dev. docs

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast