Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 19

Thread: Automatic connections to proxy-nue.opensuse.org?

  1. #1
    heyjoe NNTP User

    Question Automatic connections to proxy-nue.opensuse.org?

    Hi,

    I just noticed in tcpdump that as soon as network connection is established a few http packets are sent to proxy-nue.opensuse.org

    Why is that and how can I stop this?

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    Seattle, WA
    Posts
    17,317

    Default Re: Automatic connections to proxy-nue.opensuse.org?

    On Tue, 03 Apr 2018 16:06:01 +0000, heyjoe wrote:

    > Hi,
    >
    > I just noticed in tcpdump that as soon as network connection is
    > established a few http packets are sent to proxy-nue.opensuse.org
    >
    > Why is that and how can I stop this?


    ISTR this was talked about before, and it's just a check to see if
    there's a proxy server in place. If you browse to the site itself, it
    appears to be a mirror of the build service download servers.

    You could look at the contents of the payload to see what is being sent.

    Jim

    --
    Jim Henderson
    openSUSE Forums Administrator
    Forum Use Terms & Conditions at http://tinyurl.com/openSUSE-T-C

  3. #3
    heyjoe NNTP User

    Default Re: Automatic connections to proxy-nue.opensuse.org?

    Why should connecting to the network result in automatic check for proxy sever? There is no browser open, not even X started. Just plain console. Even ntpd is stopped.

    Here is what tcpdump outputs after 'rcnetwork restart':

    Code:
    tcpdump: listening on enp6s7, link-type EN10MB (Ethernet), capture size 262144 bytes
    IP (tos 0x0, ttl 64, id 3915, offset 0, flags [DF], proto TCP (6), length 60)
        ████.37210 > proxy-nue.opensuse.org.http: tcp 0
    IP (tos 0x0, ttl 64, id 3916, offset 0, flags [DF], proto TCP (6), length 40)
        ████.37210 > proxy-nue.opensuse.org.http: tcp 0
    IP (tos 0x0, ttl 64, id 3917, offset 0, flags [DF], proto TCP (6), length 120)
        ████.37210 > proxy-nue.opensuse.org.http: tcp 80
    IP (tos 0x0, ttl 64, id 3918, offset 0, flags [DF], proto TCP (6), length 40)
        ████.37210 > proxy-nue.opensuse.org.http: tcp 0

  4. #4
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    Seattle, WA
    Posts
    17,317

    Default Re: Automatic connections to proxy-nue.opensuse.org?

    On Tue, 03 Apr 2018 17:36:02 +0000, heyjoe wrote:

    > Why should connecting to the network result in automatic check for proxy
    > sever? There is no browser open, not even X started. Just plain console.
    > Even ntpd is stopped.


    There are other network-based apps that run - like pulling the list of
    the most recent updates.

    tcpdump is not showing you the payload - you'll want to write it to a
    file and open in Wireshark to see what traffic is actually going out.

    From what I recall, though, it's just a ping to see if it can establish a
    connection.

    Jim
    --
    Jim Henderson
    openSUSE Forums Administrator
    Forum Use Terms & Conditions at http://tinyurl.com/openSUSE-T-C

  5. #5
    heyjoe NNTP User

    Default Re: Automatic connections to proxy-nue.opensuse.org?

    Quote Originally Posted by hendersj View Post
    There are other network-based apps that run - like pulling the list of
    the most recent updates.
    You said it was checking for proxy, now you say something different?

    I have not run 'zypper ref' or 'zypper up' and I have not installed PackageKit. IOW: I have in no way instructed thy system explicitly to connect to any host. Why is it doing things I have not told it to do? I.e. - why is it reporting my IP address to some host? (I consider this a privacy issue)

    tcpdump is not showing you the payload - you'll want to write it to a
    file and open in Wireshark to see what traffic is actually going out.
    I understand what you are saying but my concern is about not having such self-initiated connections at all, rather than seeing the content of the packages.

    From what I recall, though, it's just a ping to see if it can establish a
    connection.
    It is not ICMP, it is HTTP.

  6. #6
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Location
    Groningen, Netherlands
    Posts
    20,925
    Blog Entries
    14

    Default Re: Automatic connections to proxy-nue.opensuse.org?

    Quote Originally Posted by heyjoe View Post
    You said it was checking for proxy, now you say something different?

    I have not run 'zypper ref' or 'zypper up' and I have not installed PackageKit. IOW: I have in no way instructed thy system explicitly to connect to any host. Why is it doing things I have not told it to do? I.e. - why is it reporting my IP address to some host? (I consider this a privacy issue)


    I understand what you are saying but my concern is about not having such self-initiated connections at all, rather than seeing the content of the packages.


    It is not ICMP, it is HTTP.
    Sorry to put it this bluntly: And you're stepping up to help all the people having trouble configuring the stock repos? If so, the devs might consider putting it off. Just have a search through these forums for issues re. connecting to repos ( indirectly to SUSE's infra since they provide our own infrastructure ). I could understand the issue if Google or Apple were used, but this is merely for your ( well apparently not yours, but lots and lots of other people's ) benefit. AFAIK uninstalling SUSEconnect should stop the attempts. But, like said, it would be nice if you'd step up to support those who disable the service. To add, no sarcasm, cynisism or such intended.
    ° Appreciate my reply? Click the star and let me know why.

    ° Perfection is not gonna happen. No way.

    http://en.opensuse.org/User:Knurpht
    http://nl.opensuse.org/Gebruiker:Knurpht

  7. #7
    heyjoe NNTP User

    Default Re: Automatic connections to proxy-nue.opensuse.org?

    Quote Originally Posted by Knurpht View Post
    Sorry to put it this bluntly: And you're stepping up to help all the people having trouble configuring the stock repos? If so, the devs might consider putting it off. Just have a search through these forums for issues re. connecting to repos ( indirectly to SUSE's infra since they provide our own infrastructure ). I could understand the issue if Google or Apple were used, but this is merely for your ( well apparently not yours, but lots and lots of other people's ) benefit. AFAIK uninstalling SUSEconnect should stop the attempts. But, like said, it would be nice if you'd step up to support those who disable the service. To add, no sarcasm, cynisism or such intended.
    I am not sure if we are discussing the same thing.

    1. My bad: I see I have wrongly set this thread for Leap 42.3. I have actually observed the issue on a 32-bit Tumbleweed system (so please update the thread tag if possible)

    2. Testing the same thing on Leap 42.3 (which has SUSEConnect installed) does not result in automatic outgoing connections. This logically makes one think that this particular package is unrelated. Also logically the following questions arise:

    - Why is TW behaving differently?
    - Is that auto-connection some new feature which is planned to be implemented in Leap 15 and going forward?

    3. What have repos to do with all that? This is simply a restart of rcnetwork - not a request for software update or anything along these lines.

    4. What is the benefit you are talking about?

    5. A little off-topic perhaps but still related to your reply: Before your post I have never heard of SUSEConnect. I went to YaST and read:

    SUSEConnect - Utility to register a system with the SUSE Customer Center

    This package provides a command line tool and rubygem library for connecting a client system to the SUSE Customer Center. It will connect the system to your product subscriptions and enable the product repositories/services locally.
    I can't recall ever installing this package explicitly, yet it is installed on my Leap system. Considering one who uses openSUSE is not a customer but just a user, why should his system need this package + have it installed by default?

    I hope you can shed some light on these matters.

  8. #8
    heyjoe NNTP User

    Default Re: Automatic connections to proxy-nue.opensuse.org?

    FWIW: Uninstalling SUSEConnect and rebooting changed nothing. Upon 'rcnetwork restart' the Tumbleweed system still connects to proxy-nue.opensuse.org.

  9. #9
    heyjoe NNTP User

    Default Re: Automatic connections to proxy-nue.opensuse.org?

    After a 'zypper up' SUSEConnect installed itself again, so I had to add a lock to the package.

    Still the issue remains.

  10. #10
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Location
    Groningen, Netherlands
    Posts
    20,925
    Blog Entries
    14

    Default Re: Automatic connections to proxy-nue.opensuse.org?

    Quote Originally Posted by heyjoe View Post
    After a 'zypper up' SUSEConnect installed itself again, so I had to add a lock to the package.

    Still the issue remains.
    @heyjoe: Due to being misinformed, I was wrong in my previous post. Should have checked before posting. Can you see at which moment / by which program/script the attempt is invoked?
    ° Appreciate my reply? Click the star and let me know why.

    ° Perfection is not gonna happen. No way.

    http://en.opensuse.org/User:Knurpht
    http://nl.opensuse.org/Gebruiker:Knurpht

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Tags for this Thread

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •