Results 1 to 9 of 9

Thread: Packman x264/x265 codec issues

  1. #1

    Default Packman x264/x265 codec issues

    Just a note that since March 2018 there is a problem with the x264 and x265 binaries being distributed by Packman, widely advertised here as a solution to the non-support of x254/5 codecs in the default SuSe repos.
    What looks like an innocuous comment in the recent updates (e.g. x264-152, x265-151), is a major problem in reality:

    Code:
    - Conditionally BuildRequire nasm for current versions of
      openSUSE and pass conditional --disable-asm to openSUSE Leap 43.3
      and SLE-12
    Without use of an assembler (was YASM, now NASM), there are no MMX or SSE instructions used - the machine will likely use 100% CPU, may overheat or not be able to encode/decode some material at all. The clue is in the detailed log output, which looks like this:
    Code:
    "x265 [info]: using cpu capabilities: none!"
    NASM can be easily installed (in main OSS repo) and you can build the packages yourself to restore expected functionality, not sure why Packman doesn't do this.

    For the future, I think SuSe should look at a better way of dealing with this long-standing licensing issue, such self-inflicted wounds will do nothing to help the distro's popularity.

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Posts
    2,997

    Default Re: Packman x264/x265 codec issues

    Quote Originally Posted by keynet01 View Post
    Just a note that since March 2018 there is a problem with the x264 and x265 binaries being distributed by Packman, widely advertised here as a solution to the non-support of x254/5 codecs in the default SuSe repos.
    What looks like an innocuous comment in the recent updates (e.g. x264-152, x265-151), is a major problem in reality:

    Code:
    - Conditionally BuildRequire nasm for current versions of
      openSUSE and pass conditional --disable-asm to openSUSE Leap 43.3
      and SLE-12
    Without use of an assembler (was YASM, now NASM), there are no MMX or SSE instructions used - the machine will likely use 100% CPU, may overheat or not be able to encode/decode some material at all. The clue is in the detailed log output, which looks like this:
    Code:
    "x265 [info]: using cpu capabilities: none!"
    this has been reported and a fix is on it's way (for x264)
    http://lists.links2linux.de/pipermai...ch/015586.html

  3. #3
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Location
    Groningen, Netherlands
    Posts
    20,926
    Blog Entries
    14

    Default Re: Packman x264/x265 codec issues

    Quote Originally Posted by keynet01 View Post
    Just a note that since March 2018 there is a problem with the x264 and x265 binaries being distributed by Packman, widely advertised here as a solution to the non-support of x254/5 codecs in the default SuSe repos.
    What looks like an innocuous comment in the recent updates (e.g. x264-152, x265-151), is a major problem in reality:

    Code:
    - Conditionally BuildRequire nasm for current versions of
      openSUSE and pass conditional --disable-asm to openSUSE Leap 43.3
      and SLE-12
    Without use of an assembler (was YASM, now NASM), there are no MMX or SSE instructions used - the machine will likely use 100% CPU, may overheat or not be able to encode/decode some material at all. The clue is in the detailed log output, which looks like this:
    Code:
    "x265 [info]: using cpu capabilities: none!"
    NASM can be easily installed (in main OSS repo) and you can build the packages yourself to restore expected functionality, not sure why Packman doesn't do this.

    For the future, I think SuSe should look at a better way of dealing with this long-standing licensing issue, such self-inflicted wounds will do nothing to help the distro's popularity.
    There is no distro making contributing so easy as openSUSE. We're a community distro, anyone can step up and do whatever they want. Report bugs, help out fixing them, building better packages, Feel welcome to help find a solution or at least report a bug if you're convinced this is one .
    ° Appreciate my reply? Click the star and let me know why.

    ° Perfection is not gonna happen. No way.

    http://en.opensuse.org/User:Knurpht
    http://nl.opensuse.org/Gebruiker:Knurpht

  4. #4

    Default Re: Packman x264/x265 codec issues

    Quote Originally Posted by Knurpht View Post
    There is no distro making contributing so easy as openSUSE. We're a community distro, anyone can step up and do whatever they want. Report bugs, help out fixing them, building better packages, Feel welcome to help find a solution or at least report a bug if you're convinced this is one .
    To build from sources for 42.3, these small fixes work for me.
    For x265 and libx264 replace lines in the .spec file as follows:

    before the "BuildRequires: nasm"
    Code:
    ## enable NASM! %if 0%{?suse_version} >=1500
    %if 0%{?sle_version} == 120300 && 0%{?is_opensuse}
    Additionally for libx264 before

    --disable-asm \
    Code:
     
    ## enable NASM! %if 0%{?suse_version} < 1500
    %if 0%{?suse_version} < 1000

  5. #5
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Posts
    2,997

    Default Re: Packman x264/x265 codec issues

    Quote Originally Posted by keynet01 View Post
    To build from sources for 42.3, these small fixes work for me.
    For x265 and libx264 replace lines in the .spec file as follows:

    before the "BuildRequires: nasm"
    Code:
    ## enable NASM! %if 0%{?suse_version} >=1500
    %if 0%{?sle_version} == 120300 && 0%{?is_opensuse}
    Additionally for libx264 before

    --disable-asm \
    Code:
     
    ## enable NASM! %if 0%{?suse_version} < 1500
    %if 0%{?suse_version} < 1000
    afaik current packman builds are compiled with nasm I don't encode that much but I did view an HD h265 video with software decoding (my gpu doesn't support h265) and the playback was smooth
    if you haven't already just do an update
    Code:
    zypper up

  6. #6

    Default Re: Packman x264/x265 codec issues

    Quote Originally Posted by I_A View Post
    afaik current packman builds are compiled with nasm
    Yes. From the libx264 package changelog:
    Code:
    * Fri Mar 23 2018 enzokiel@kabelmail.de
    - Build with nasm >= 2.13 for openSUSE Leap 42.3 and SLE-12.
    libx265:
    Code:
    * Thu Mar 01 2018 zaitor@opensuse.org
    - Update to version 2.7:
    ...
      - Moved from YASM to NASM assembler. Supports NASM assembler
        version 2.13 and greater.
    ...
    - Replace yasm with nasm BuildRequires following upstreams changes.
    The real problem was that Leap 42.3 comes with a too old nasm though (version 2.10.09), i.e. it actually was not possible to build x264/x265 with nasm in the first place anymore.
    This has been "fixed" by adding nasm 2.13 to Packman as well.
    Last edited by wolfi323; 18-Apr-2018 at 00:27.

  7. #7

    Default Re: Packman x264/x265 codec issues

    'fraid not
    X264 is fixed, but as of today x265 (V2.7.2.2 from Packman, built Fri 23 Mar 2018 18:06:40 GMT) still not using SSE or MMX instructions.
    Code:
    x265 [info]: build info [Linux][GCC 4.8.5][64 bit][noasm] 8bit

  8. #8

    Default Re: Packman x264/x265 codec issues

    Quote Originally Posted by keynet01 View Post
    'fraid not
    X264 is fixed, but as of today x265 (V2.7.2.2 from Packman, built Fri 23 Mar 2018 18:06:40 GMT) still not using SSE or MMX instructions.
    Code:
    x265 [info]: build info [Linux][GCC 4.8.5][64 bit][noasm] 8bit
    Well, better report this to Packman then:
    http://lists.links2linux.de/cgi-bin/...stinfo/packman

  9. #9

    Default Re: Packman x264/x265 codec issues

    x265 should be "fixed" since the latest update as well:
    Code:
    $ rpm -q --changelog libx265-151
    * Fri May 04 2018 zaitor@opensuse.org
    - Build with nasm >= 2.13 for openSUSE Leap 42.3 and SLE-12, since
      new enough nasm is now available for them.
    
    ...

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •