Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Thread: Rails for Leap 42.3

Blog Entries

Default Re: Rails for Leap 42.3

Quote Originally Posted by aleksejsmir View Post
    I do not want. ))
    I want Rails to work. The version of the web server is of no importance to me.
    That is why I included the words "if you need..." allowing for the possibility there might be an error in packaging somewhere and not any fault of your own.

The other alternative is as I described...
    If you're <certain> your puma server was working properly at some time after you upgraded to Tumbleweed and you've installed on BTRFS, you do have the option of rolling back to erase most recent changes.

TSU
    Beginner Wiki Quickstart - https://en.opensuse.org/User:Tsu2/Quickstart_Wiki
    Solved a problem recently? Create a wiki page for future personal reference!
    Learn something new?
    Attended a computing event?
    Post and Share!

Quote Originally Posted by aleksejsmir View Post
    Thank you so much. It worked.
    But it's strange ... during "bundle install" puma 3.11.3 was installed again:
    Hm, I don't know what "bundle install" is or why/if you need to run it.
    But it seems it installs some gems manually and/or wants to update them to the latest versions.

Not a problem in principle, but it bypasses the system's package management, so zypper isn't aware of what libraries those "manually" installed gems use/need and may uninstall them without further mention (like it apparently happened with libssl44).

I suppose the newly install puma 3.11.3 should work now, as it should have been compiled against your current system now.

Personally, I would rather stick to the distribution's versions if possible, especially on TW, where you constantly get updates (including version updates) anyway.
    Manual installation may require manual recompilation after certain updates to keep things working...

Btw, this particular problem with libssl could probably be avoided by building it against openssl (instead of libressl), which I think is more "stable". Probably you'd just need to uninstall libressl-devel and install libopenssl1_1-devel for that.
    But similar problems can happen again with other libs as well, due to the constant changes in Tumbleweed.

alex@linux-yz6z:~/rails/test2> rails s
    Could not find puma-3.11.3 in any of the sources
    Run `bundle install` to install missing gems.
    Ok.
    I suspect that you updated some other gems as well which could raise the required puma version to 3.11.3.
    Removing all "manually" installed gems (and not run "bundle install" afterwards) should "fix" that I think, though I'm not sure of the best way to achieve that.
    A directory listing of /usr/lib64/ruby/gems/2.5.0/gems/ should show which gems are installed twice (from the distribution and via gem/bundle install) though.
    Last edited by wolfi323; 09-Apr-2018 at 03:42.

Blog Entries

Any "bundle install" error would be related to something I discovered many openSUSE versions ago....

If you inspect the article I wrote long ago which I referenced in my earlier post,
    No matter whether you install Ruby from the OSS or the official Ruby repos, you need to run the following command when you initially set up Ruby unless and until openSUSE ensures all of the following are installed (extra spaces between the core ruby packages and additional needed for Rails and other similar Ruby frameworks, and I install nodejs only because I prefer its on demand http server instead of any in Ruby)
    Code:
    zypper in ruby rubygem-bundler nodejs git       gcc make libopenssl-devel sqlite3-devel
    The "bundler" install like many devleopment languages installs multiple packages similar to our openSUSE pattern.

TSU
    Learn something new?
    Post and Share!

Quote Originally Posted by tsu2 View Post
    Any "bundle install" error would be related to something I discovered many openSUSE versions ago....
    But there is no "bundle install" error.
    The necessary devel packages do seem to be installed (although it seems that libressl-devel was used instead of libopenssl-devel, as I wrote already).

My point is that manually compiled/installed things may need to be reinstalled/recompiled after updates (as was the case here), especially on the ever changing Tumbleweed.
    So IMHO it's better to stick to the openSUSE packages and not use "bundle install" or "gem install" unless you need something that's not provided in the repos.

Blog Entries

The "bundle install" package should be installed to complete the Ruby installation.
    It's very commonly used along with the "gem" command to install packages from the Ruby repositories.

Like several other development languages,
    The "rubygem" packages in our OSS is only a very teeny, teeny tiny subset of what is available in the entire Ruby universe, and some OSS packages even are nothing more than a configuration for downloading from that language's official repos.

So,
    Although we should watch any installation (paricularly a development language) in progress closely to really know what is happening, a hybrid install from OSS and a language's official repos isn't always bad or even something to be avoided... But, it is something to watch carefully so that you know what is happening on your machine. And, as for where a package or libraries really come from... I think especially when developing you just want what works and sometimes developing can have some really unusual requirements so you have to be flexible.

TSU
    Learn something new?
    Post and Share!

Quote Originally Posted by tsu2 View Post
    The "bundle install" package should be installed to complete the Ruby installation.
    I doubt that it's mandatory though.

I suppose rails should work with just openSUSE packages (depending on your exact needs of course).

Like several other development languages,
    The "rubygem" packages in our OSS is only a very teeny, teeny tiny subset of what is available in the entire Ruby universe
    Sure, but that doesn't mean you necessarily *need* more...

Whatever, I won't continue this discussion. As indicated I don't really have much experience with ruby anyway.

I'm just trying to point out that manually installing/updating components can "complicate" things, and may need continuous manual intervention on TW in particular (where you shouldn't have a need to *update* things to newer versions manually anyway, i.e. without zypper but by downloading/compiling yourself which is actually done when you use "gem install" or "bundle install").

Sure, you can (and maybe need) to do that (gem install, bundle install), but you should be aware of the consequences IMHO.

IOW, I just tried to explain the reasons for the original problem and a (IMHO) possible way to avoid such issues.

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234