Thread: Is it necessary to blacklist nouveau and reboot for installing nvidia driver by repo

Default Is it necessary to blacklist nouveau and reboot for installing nvidia driver by repo

Hi,

In support database of OpenSUSE, I found that the blacklist operation is not mentioned for installing by repo.

Thanks.

Blog Entries

Default Re: Is it necessary to blacklist nouveau and reboot for installing nvidia driver by repo

No, a reboot after installing the NVIDIA driver is though. Furthermore it depends on whether you use the repo packages or the NVIDIA blob to install. In the first case the package takes care of the blacklisting, in the latter you have to blacklist the nouveau driver. Not mentioned in the docs are the options '--no-x-check' '--no-nouveau-check' which allow you to run the installer from a terminal window on your desktop. If you have dkms installed before running the installer, you can also use the '--dkms' option to have dkms rebuild the kernel modules after a kernel update.
    ° Appreciate my reply? Click the star and let me know why.

° Perfection is not gonna happen. No way.

http://en.opensuse.org/User:Knurpht
    http://nl.opensuse.org/Gebruiker:Knurpht

Default Re: Is it necessary to blacklist nouveau and reboot for installing nvidia driver by repo

Quote Originally Posted by Knurpht View Post
    No, a reboot after installing the NVIDIA driver is though. Furthermore it depends on whether you use the repo packages or the NVIDIA blob to install. In the first case the package takes care of the blacklisting, in the latter you have to blacklist the nouveau driver. Not mentioned in the docs are the options '--no-x-check' '--no-nouveau-check' which allow you to run the installer from a terminal window on your desktop. If you have dkms installed before running the installer, you can also use the '--dkms' option to have dkms rebuild the kernel modules after a kernel update.
    Thanks for your reply.