libffmpeg.so and Opera browser issue.

My problem is this, Opera browser does not reproduces/play html5 video. Installing “chromium-ffmpeg-extra” does not solves the issue.

After digging a bit i realized it was a problem with “libffmpeg.so” the one that ships with Opera just does not work and the one that comes with chromium-ffmpeg-extra gets install in a different path/directory where Opera just don’t bother to look into.

Every time Opera gets updated i have to delete libffmpeg.so from

/usr/lib64/opera/ 

and copy the one from

/usr/lib64/chromium-ffmpeg-extra/

into it.

Clearly this is some sort of packaging issue, so my question is where should i report it, to opensuse’s bugzilla or directly to Opera?

Just to be sure, did you try a full switch to Packman?

Clearly this is some sort of packaging issue, so my question is where should i report it, to opensuse’s bugzilla or directly to Opera?

Well, Opera is proprietary, closed-source software, and the openSUSE package just contains the file from Opera’s binary RPM download.

So I’d say this is better reported directly to Opera… (although it might be possible to “fix” it in openSUSE’s package by replacing the libffmpeg.so, no idea)

Opera is not available in packman, chromium-ffmpeg-extra does but not in opensuse’s repos.

I know, but ffmpeg is.
Opera’s libffmpeg.so may use the system’s ffmpeg libraries.
Like Chromium does btw, you don’t need chromium-ffmpeg-extra for chromium anymore because of that.

Well i do have ffmpeg and related libraries installed from packman. I removed them along with Opera, re-install them all but chromium-ffmpeg-extra, no go same issue.
Removing libffmpeg.so from opera’s folder brakes it,

opera: error while loading shared libraries: libffmpeg.so: cannot open shared object file: No such file or directory

Since this happen with both packages the one in opensuse’s repo and the one from their webpage, i assume they haven’t “updated” to the changes that allows it to ditch chromium-ffmpeg-extra.

Sadly Firefox eats my CPU cycles while watching videos online, unlike Opera and i really don’t like Chrome/Chromium or Vivaldi.

Ok, it was just an idea.

Sadly Firefox eats my CPU cycles while watching videos online, unlike Opera and i really don’t like Chrome/Chromium or Vivaldi.

Have you tried Falkon already?
(the new/latest version of QupZilla)

I’m just using it the first time here watching a live soccer match, and it works much better on my very old Radeon system than Firefox ever did in my experience.
Though I’d rather contribute that to the fact that it doesn’t use flash-player… :wink: (it uses QtWebEngine that’s based on Chromium)

It is indeed a packaging problem on Opera’s part.

My Opera does play html videos shown here: HTML5 Video Test Page | Tek Eye

erlangen:~ # zypper if opera
Loading repository data...
Reading installed packages...

Information for package opera:
------------------------------
Repository     : **repo-non-oss**              
Name           : opera                     
Version        : 52.0.2871.30-1.1          
Arch           : x86_64                    
Vendor         : openSUSE                  
Installed Size : 185.9 MiB                 
Installed      : Yes                       
Status         : up-to-date                
Source package : opera-52.0.2871.30-1.1.src                                                                                                                                                                                                                                    
Summary        : Proprietary web browser                                                                                                                                                                                                                                       
Description    :                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                               
    Opera is a proprietary, fast, and user-friendly web browser.                                                                                                                                                                                                               
    It includes web developer tools, news aggregation, and the ability                                                                                                                                                                                                         
    to compress data via Opera Turbo on congested networks.                                                                                                                                                                                                                    

erlangen:~ #  

That depends on which codec the video is encoded with, of course.

I assume Opera’s libffmpeg.so only lacks support for certain ones, which joder666 appears to need.

Similar to openSUSE’s ffmpeg/libavcodec packages, which only lack support for non-free/restricted codecs, but play back fine free ones (which does include MPEG2 since recently… :wink: )

My Opera relies on:

erlangen:~ # zypper if chromium-ffmpeg-extra
Loading repository data...
Reading installed packages...

Information for package chromium-ffmpeg-extra:
----------------------------------------------
Repository     : packman                                           
Name           : chromium-ffmpeg-extra                             
Version        : 64.0.3282.134-7.1                                 
Arch           : x86_64                                            
Vendor         : http://packman.links2linux.de                     
Installed Size : 2.5 MiB                                           
Installed      : Yes                                               
Status         : up-to-date                                        
Source package : chromium-ffmpeg-extra-64.0.3282.134-7.1.src       
Summary        : **Extra ffmpeg codecs for browsers based on Chromium**
Description    :                                                   
    **This package contains proprietary codecs needed for the HTML5
    (audio and video tags).**

The package provides what opera is linking to:

erlangen:~ # ll /usr/lib64/opera/lib_extra/libffmpeg.so
lrwxrwxrwx 1 root root 40 Mar 24 04:51 /usr/lib64/opera/lib_extra/libffmpeg.so -> ../../chromium-ffmpeg-extra/libffmpeg.so

The above link is provided by the opera package.

Well, there is no /usr/lib64/opera/lib_extra/libffmpeg.so in the opera package at all.
It only contains a file /usr/lib/opera/libffmpeg.so as mentioned previously, which obviously is “crippled”…

But apparently ffmpeg-chromium-extra in Packman has been updated meanwhile to include that symlink.
From the package changelog:

Sat Mar 24 00:09:38 UTC 2018 - fisiu@opensuse.org 
- Make symlink to allow Opera find libffmpeg.so.

So the issue is “solved” meanwhile (or better, “workarounded” in Packman’s ffmpeg-chromium-extra package :wink: ).

Confirmed:

erlangen:~ # rpm -qf /usr/lib64/opera/lib_extra/libffmpeg.so
chromium-ffmpeg-extra-64.0.3282.134-7.1.x86_64
erlangen:~ # ll /usr/lib64/opera/lib_extra/libffmpeg.so
lrwxrwxrwx 1 root root 40 Mar 24 04:51 /usr/lib64/opera/lib_extra/libffmpeg.so -> ../../chromium-ffmpeg-extra/libffmpeg.so

I had already verified with the above commands, but mixed up the package names in my previous post.