PSA: drm-kmp-default update upsets intel GPU on Dell e6400

Just a warning. The update to drm-kmp-default makes the CPU usage go off the chart. I was getting 150% CPU (go figure) just running yast. Fortunately I remembered that this was the update I ran just before the problem started.

I couldn’t get get yast to work in a reasonable time period. I booted then did yum erase drm-kmp-default. I may try to find the old rev if I have any problems.

Running yast hardware inspection, the graphics is known as “mobile 4 series integrated graphics controller”.

As far as I know, drm-kmp-default is mostly for the newest Intel chips (skylake, kaby lake, etc). It provides the graphics support from newer kernels. You seem to have an older Intel system. So removing that package should do no harm.

There yum erase deleted the older DRM that potentially had code for this older notebook. I didn’t (well actually don’t) know how to just roll it back one rev. My last yast update tried to install drm-kmp-default again, but I was able to stop that.

The text associated with the update was along the lines of your reply, but it hinted that it would be appropriate for other CPUs. I have a previous post where I had to delete the intel graphics driver to get around google earth crashing. This is supposed to drop me to the open source graphics.

I know it is evil, but I’m going Nvidia on the next notebook.

Here is the exact message associated with the update. (Not my typo on implementation. ;-0 )

Backported drm kernel modules for upgrading to the 4.9.x kernel implemntations. This is mainly for supporting Intel Kabylake graphics, but also for bringing up / fixing the other graphics devices.

Right, but meanwhile they say this:

meanwhile we’ve wisened up a bit, and found that Intel chips older than
Skylake suffer from issues with the drm-kmp package, yet even newer kernels
without a DRM backport seem to be fine.

( [Bug 1053982] Intel [Haswell] [drm-kmp 4.9]: X-server crashes upon wake-up from hybrid-sleep - openSUSE Bugs - openSUSE Mailing Lists )

So, use it if it works, or uninstall it if that works better for you, and be happy. :wink:

You can lock that package (or taboo it). Easiest with with Yast Software Management, and right click on the package to get the menu.

I know it is evil, but I’m going Nvidia on the next notebook.

I’m avoiding Nvidia for the present.

So am I. The path to Linux happiness seems to be littered with Nvidia complaints for months, now.

I noticed another drm update showed up. Once bitten, twice shy and all that stuff. I locked the update as suggested. When I have a DRM issue, I will test the latest rev.

Funny thing about Nvidia. I ran into a CERN programmer (so I assume he’s a guru) who said sometimes Nvida messes up his system so badly that he has to resintall the OS. Now I’m thinking AMD. What I really want is a reduction in headaches, not necessarily performance. I understand AMD has some degree of an open source driver, which is how I’m running my Intel GPU.

You probably won’t need that module.

Leap 15.0 will be coming out soon. Presumably you will eventually upgrade to that. And then might be a good time to retest. However, that drm kernel module does not appear to be there – it’s probably not needed with the newer kernel being used.