Results 1 to 9 of 9

Thread: Plymouth showing grey screen with green dots instead of the usual loading screen.

  1. #1
    Join Date
    Nov 2017
    Location
    Somewhere around the middle of Europe.
    Posts
    119

    Default Plymouth showing grey screen with green dots instead of the usual loading screen.

    Hello, recently I got an update, which contains a new plymouth theme, a new default wallpaper etc. However, the first time the PC booted it showed the nice theme, but the next day it showed just a grey screen with three green dots. How can I get the nice theme to show every time?
    Thanks,
    Greenscreener

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Location
    Groningen, Netherlands
    Posts
    20,925
    Blog Entries
    14

    Default Re: Plymouth showing grey screen with green dots instead of the usual loading screen.

    Quote Originally Posted by Greenscreener View Post
    Hello, recently I got an update, which contains a new plymouth theme, a new default wallpaper etc. However, the first time the PC booted it showed the nice theme, but the next day it showed just a grey screen with three green dots. How can I get the nice theme to show every time?
    Thanks,
    Greenscreener
    Check the resolutions in YaST - System - Bootloader.

    FWIW: Is this a showstopper? Tw is heavily tested in openQA, and this is nothing more than a splash screen, rendered for a couple of secs during boot. Anyway, it's a bootloader setting.
    ° Appreciate my reply? Click the star and let me know why.

    ° Perfection is not gonna happen. No way.

    http://en.opensuse.org/User:Knurpht
    http://nl.opensuse.org/Gebruiker:Knurpht

  3. #3
    Join Date
    Sep 2012
    Posts
    7,098

    Default Re: Plymouth showing grey screen with green dots instead of the usual loading screen.

    Quote Originally Posted by Greenscreener View Post
    next day it showed just a grey screen with three green dots
    This means when plymouth starts it does not detect frame buffer/DRM capable video device and falls back to plain text mode.
    How can I get the nice theme to show every time?
    For all I can tell this is race condition during startup. I can reliably reproduce it in VM when booting after host reboot/cache flush; next warm VM boot would show usual graphical splash screen. The problem exists for years and reported for various versions of openSUSE. I opened upstream bug report but there was no reaction so far. So unfortunately once you get this issue there is no recipe to fix it.

  4. #4
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Location
    FL, USA
    Posts
    3,373
    Blog Entries
    1

    Default Re: Plymouth showing grey screen with green dots instead of the usual loading screen.

    Quote Originally Posted by arvidjaar View Post
    So unfortunately once you get this issue there is no recipe to fix it.
    Well, there is if you don't mind or even prefer an old-fashioned text mode boot that shows all the loading messages and no splash - uninstall Plymouth.

  5. #5
    Join Date
    Nov 2017
    Location
    Somewhere around the middle of Europe.
    Posts
    119

    Default Re: Plymouth showing grey screen with green dots instead of the usual loading screen.

    Quote Originally Posted by mrmazda View Post
    Well, there is if you don't mind or even prefer an old-fashioned text mode boot that shows all the loading messages and no splash - uninstall Plymouth.
    No, that's kinda the opposite of what I'm trying to do...

  6. #6

    Default Re: Plymouth showing grey screen with green dots instead of the usual loading screen.

    I m on Tumbleweed with the nvidia drivers from the repository and noticed this (ever since I started using the nvidia drivers from the repo):

    Creating initrd: /boot/initrd-4.15.10-1-default
    dracut: Executing: /usr/bin/dracut --logfile /var/log/YaST2/mkinitrd.log --force /boot/initrd-4.15.10-1-default 4.15.10-1-default
    dracut: dracut module 'plymouth' will not be installed, because it's in the list to be omitted!

    in /etc/dracut.confd.d is 50-nvidia-default.conf which omits plymouth.

    not sure if this is your problem but just in case...

  7. #7
    Join Date
    Nov 2017
    Location
    Somewhere around the middle of Europe.
    Posts
    119

    Default Re: Plymouth showing grey screen with green dots instead of the usual loading screen.

    AFAIK I don't have an Nvidia graphics card and I don't remember manually installing any graphics card drivers.

  8. #8

    Default Re: Plymouth showing grey screen with green dots instead of the usual loading screen.

    Quote Originally Posted by Xilanaz View Post
    I m on Tumbleweed with the nvidia drivers from the repository and noticed this (ever since I started using the nvidia drivers from the repo):

    Creating initrd: /boot/initrd-4.15.10-1-default
    dracut: Executing: /usr/bin/dracut --logfile /var/log/YaST2/mkinitrd.log --force /boot/initrd-4.15.10-1-default 4.15.10-1-default
    dracut: dracut module 'plymouth' will not be installed, because it's in the list to be omitted!

    in /etc/dracut.confd.d is 50-nvidia-default.conf which omits plymouth.

    not sure if this is your problem but just in case...
    it's my case. So, as i see, i can't bypass this problem using nvidia driver?
    Before system upgrade and installing nvidia, i have nice plymouth, but now, when i cut off the omit line, i also have green dots on grey background
    Ofcource it's not showstopper, but it makes me sad

  9. #9

    Default Re: Plymouth showing grey screen with green dots instead of the usual loading screen.


Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •