Update Changes in Tumbleweed

Hello -

<sorry if this is not in the right forums location, please move it or let me know where to put this>

Not being as fluent with openSUSE as I was with Mint/Ubuntu, where can I see a list of changes that have occurred in my latest Tumbleweed update? I am running KDE and only ever let the Software Update system tool (sorry I don’t know the technical term for it on suse, but the tool that’s in the taskbar at the bottom right of KDE) download and install updates for me - I don’t zypper up or dup or use YaST (although I wouldn’t be surprised if it’s using this in the background during updates). The most recent round of updates completely changed the Tumbleweed startup screen (much cleaner/polished look), the loading screen (a moving infinity/Tumbleweed logo), the login screen background and even the desktop background were auto-updated to a new picture (although I cannot find this pic in the wallpaper area or anything so it’s strange). Everything seems to work fine and I really like the changes, just didn’t know where I could see those specific updates to see why those changes were made…if all that makes sense.

Any help would be appreciated!

Thanks!

Use zypper dup instead “Software Updates”
/var/log/zypp/history - you will see what you install, uninstall etc.
Or yast, software management, extras, history.

All updates/changes (for the packages on the DVD at least) are announced on the opensuse-factory mailinglist.

You can read the archives or find out how to subscribe here:
https://lists.opensuse.org/opensuse-factory/
E.g. the announcement of the latest snapshot from today is here:
https://lists.opensuse.org/opensuse-factory/2018-03/msg00532.html

Don’t use the desktop software updater for openSUSE Tumbleweed, or you will run into problems. This is a rolling distro (constantly being upgraded in the form of newer snapshots). As already mentioned by another_roadrunner, use the following

zypper dup

See here…
https://en.opensuse.org/Portal:Tumbleweed

Once you are running Tumbleweed to get updates every time a new snapshot has been released enter the following command as root (ideally inside a screen session):
zypper dup --no-allow-vendor-change

*Note that ‘–no-allow-vendor-change’ this is the default option now, so no need to specify explicitly for normal system upgrading.

To be honest, I’ve uninstalled “Software Updates” so I am not tempted to use it. lol!

I just turn it off, in System Tray Settings.

I know but I prefer to uninstall all I do not need (and then “zypper al”).

You can use it for notification with the following settings:

erlangen:~ # grep -v ^# /etc/sysconfig/packagekit-background 
ENABLED="yes"

CHECK_ONLY="yes"

MAILTO="karl"

SYSTEM_NAME=""

SLEEP_MAX="3600"

UPDATE_OFFLINE="no"
erlangen:~ # 

Good to know. Thank you.

Great idea - I went into “Software Update Settings” and there’s no option for “off”, just have daily, weekly, and monthly interval options…?

From system tray settings. Disable Software updates.

Running

sudo zypper dup
I get the following info - is any particular option better?

Problem: SuSEfirewall2-3.6.378-2.1.noarch conflicts with firewalld provided by firewalld-0.5.2-1.1.noarch
 Solution 1: Following actions will be done:
  deinstallation of firewalld-0.5.2-1.1.noarch
  deinstallation of firewalld-lang-0.5.2-1.1.noarch
 Solution 2: deinstallation of SuSEfirewall2-3.6.378-1.1.noarch
 Solution 3: keep obsolete SuSEfirewall2-3.6.378-1.1.noarch

Choose from above solutions by number or cancel [1/2/3/c] (c):

Lol, maybe I’m just blind, but I do not see the “System Tray Settings” in KDE anywhere =/
Apologies for being such a noob :disapointed:

choose 2 - deinstallation of SuSEfirewall2

Right click on panel, right side, where is a green arrow.
Next to clock.

There is no need to apologize. We’ve all gone through this one at a time. :slight_smile:

Perfecto!! Danke

Thanks again (I need to refresh more to see the new replies lol)
And this is a normal thing to see?

The following 5 packages are going to be downgraded:
  libKF5Holidays5 plasma5-defaults-openSUSE plasma5-theme-openSUSE plasma5-workspace-branding-openSUSE
  sddm-theme-openSUSE

With pleasure.

I think so. Anyway trust what “zypper” says. :slight_smile: